Curious, which Windows XP version...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hezkezl, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Hezkezl

Hezkezl Rawr! OT Supporter

Which WinXP version is it that you can use multiple CD Keys on? I've got WinXP Home on my computer right now, and my stepbrother gave me his WinXP Pro CD / Key, but I'm not sure if I could use it or not. I could have sworn that both Home and Pro versions check back with a central server, or something somewhere, to check to see if the Product ID # / Key has already been used. Or, is it just Home that uses the 'authorization'?

Reason I'm asking, is I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro, as well as formatting my main drive, and he just gave me the CD and told me to 'use this', as he no longer needs it.

So. Would it matter, or not, if he has already used the CD Key on it, or not? I'm willing to go out and buy a version of it if it's already used, just curious.

2. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

FYI, legally, you can't transfer ownership of a windows license.
    It goes and dies with the PC it's installed on.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not entirely true.

OEM copies are linked to the mobo. They can be on only one machine, ever.

Retail copies are linked only to a # of installs. You can transfer between computers, as long as it is installed on only one machine, one copy, at a time.

4. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

Well, that's as good as the same.
    But you can only change your components so many times before the license is invalid.

This is simply not true, unless the law has changed since about 3 weeks ago when I read the licensing law on this on official MS documentation.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sorry you're a dumbass... I can't help that. I work directly with MS, and being in the wholesale business, I have to answer a lot of licensing questions... The one I get all the time is, "besides the pretty box, what does Retail do that OEM doesn't". So I tell them the diff:

1) Retail is transferable.
    2) Retail has a pretty box.
    3) OEM requires you to buy a piece of hardware with it.

6. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

God I hate abusive people, Whilst it's fine to disagree with someone, just making lame comments like that really stalls what could have otherwise been a civilised discussion/debate.
    Stop being a prat and we can continue this discussion.

I can't help what you might believe, but you're wrong.
    I DO know the difference between OEM and retail.
    It IS possible to transfer a BULK license between PCs, but that's different than retail.

7. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Just wait a couple months after the old copy is no longer being used, time enough for the activation server to purge the old SN<->hardware record. It'll work fine then.

Of course if it's a OEM copy, you are not supposed to do this, etc etc, legality mumbo jumbo, etc.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Okay let me prove it to you... This is from an official MS webpage:

That was written on June 6, 2005. Fairly recent.

9. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

Really? Hmmm.

10. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

Point taken, but you didn't answer my previous point.
    Stop being so aggressive here, it doesn't do you and favours and makes you out to be a bit of a jerk.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I am a jerk. Why lie about it? :o

The difference is that you were wrong, I tell you, and the next thread I'm not even gonna mention it or care. This thread is done, and the matter is closed.

When I'm wrong (which you must admit is quite rare) people will keep mentioning it in EVERY thread, even tho it has no relevance.

I'm a jerk, but I'm a fair jerk -- I'm mean to everyone, and I rarely hold a grudge.

12. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

oh, not much I can say to that then.
    Poor you.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You can just as easily say "I'm blunt" in place of "I'm a jerk"... I don't waste my time with many of the pleasantries... I get straight to the point. If you provide mis-information, then I'm gonna let you know... because that hurts the forum.

14. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

I can't be held responsible for how other people may treat you when you are wrong, am not other people.
    Furthermore, when I AM wrong, I take it in good graces, however, uncivil people I don't like, I'd appreciate it if you could behave in a more mature fashion.
    I'm sure that type of behaviour is mentioned in the forum FAQ.

15. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

There's being blunt, I.E. saying "You're wrong" and there's being just downright rude. I.E. abusive laguage such as telling ppl to fuck off etc.
    It really does nothing for the community here.
    You have by far crossed the line between being blunt and being rude and abusive.
    And it should be noted, I have no problem with ppl pointing out when I'm wrong, it's how you go about it that matters.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do yourself a favor and just leave this thread... Your damage has been done, and I have repaired it. We shall meet again in another thread, and perhaps all will be well ;)

17. danskmacabre

danskmacabre Guest

That depends on your attitude, If you chill out a bit, things MAY be all well.

18. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Don't worry dansk, he isn't a good sport when hes wrong either. In fact he springs about the biggest attitude you have ever seen. :bigthumb:

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I checked the C&P listing and saw that the thread had been updated.... check the thread, and nothing... Go back, refresh... Yep, definitely updated... go back in.... nothing... Go back out, look at who posted... Oh, it all makes sense now... the ONLY person on my ignore list :mamoru:

20. TheRider

See as I said he doesn't handle being wrong well, he somehow feels you can't install a driver without having the hardware physically present in the machine at the time, yet he claims to own a computer company that does 18 million a year :) You put the pieces of the puzzle together, it isn't too tough.

I wonder if he ever installed about 50% of USB devices as an example that ask you to install the driver without the hardware being plugged in :) No matter, as I said simply a bad sport, and I suspect a liar to boot. You draw your own conclusions rofl...

Here is another example of flat out bad advice from him: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1918856&page=4 That configuration he suggests is invalid, 845 board doesn't have sata, sheesh. Scary people that claim to be experts and claim to do this every day eh? :bigthumb:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I took you off ignore because you posted in another one of my threads... so I knew you'd be slandering me in some way...

I don't see how ANYTHING you say has any relevance. As for the other thread, I would never use the mobo I posted... and it was something I did in about 90 seconds (I literally typed the model #'s of the parts into newegg's search function to get them...) So you swap the SATA hdd for an IDE hdd and you're done. It was NOT a system I recommended him to get... It was to prove a point that Dell is shit.

22. TheRider

Again proving my point about what happens when you prove him wrong, draw your own conclusions :) I know I wouldn't hire him to be a tech for me with that attitude, heck but free advice as usual is worth what you pay for it :bigthumb:

I wonder if he treats his "clients" the same way

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't recall asking you for a job? Usually you don't make more than your boss :rolleyes:

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I make a point to go out of my way to help at least one a day... and I make sure I completely bitch out another.... it adds to the balance of life. :rofl:

25. TheRider

Well make sure to apologize to whichever one of your parents you yelled at today and make sure to yell at the other one tomorrow. Oops, I meant clients sorry :bigthumb: