SRS Curious: Educating someone is one thing, but how do you change someone's actions ??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Jun 6, 2009.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I speak about others, but mainly myself.

You may speak to others, and thrive to educate them on the proper path in life. But how do you deal with them when they balk at your 'advice'. Let us assume you care deeply about this person. What action or inaction do you take to change their mind ??

I feel educated enough to know the right path to live life. I understand that by not taking this path, my life leads nowhere. But as far as I can tell, I do not feel inclined to take the right path. I want to logically, but 'emotionally' I don't.

And yes, this is another thread about me crying for attention and/or demanding pity. At least that's how much of OT sees it. But no, I am not trolling.

CLIFFS FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW ME: I'm 25, I have no job, no money, no friends, no sexual relationships, and I live with my father. Logically, I understand what I must do when it comes to work, school, and socializing with others. I don't know if 'emotion' is the right word to use; but it's either that or a mental defect that prevents me from acting on this logic. I've tried many times to take the proper path, but ultimately it ends in failure for one reason or another.

2. silentIgnatius9

silentIgnatius9 New Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a reasonable answer for you, mostly as a result of being younger than you and less experienced in life. I do, however, consider myself to be in a similar "boat" as you and would like to share my thoughts briefly.

First, I would love for the people for whom I care deeply to stop destroying themselves and those around them. I almost want to coerce them onto a better "life path" for their own sake.

It's hard to follow the right path. No fucking doubt. I feel the educated people should try to follow it exceedingly well. I also believe the educated have an obligation to show others what is right to the extent that the "learners" in this case (whatever you want to call them) have an obligation to care for themselves as only they can.

Essentially, you can only help people so much before they need to help themselves. I can't speak for you, but it boils my blood and burns me up inside when people don't take my advice when I know it works (considering it's not "mine" per say, but the wisdom of thousands of years in my heritage, passed down from my fathers).

I also believe we all fall off the path, whether we know righteousness or not and I'd say we're young enough to be allowed these mistakes, granted we still make the greatest efforts to maintain our education and direction.

...socializing is a bitch. Just throwing it out there.

3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Perhaps you're undermining or sabotaging yourself unconsciously because of some prior event? What type of background have you come from?

4. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

Sounds like you feel like your in the gutter of all gutters. Tell us about it. At least, tell me. I want to hear it, and I want to revel in it with you. I want to hear your pain, your sorrow, your disappointment and your suffering.

Do this for me, and we can try something different after.

5. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

You just have to know that its going to be better off.

By all means not to sound off topic but is/was your father controlling and do you have social anxiety?

6. johan

johan Active Member

Your path is your own path. Walk it.

If others come seeking your advice, offer it.
    Resist "offering" advice to those who DO NOT seek it, and do not take it anyways.

Realize your act of offering is in fact something you're doing for yourself.

If you want to positively influence how these resistant people live their lives, why don't you take that advice, apply it to yourself... and become a shining beacon of how successful & powerful that advice really is.

BECOME YOUR ADVICE.

You then won't need to "offer" advice to the unwilling anymore -- THEY WILL COME TO YOU.

Make sense?

7. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Awesome advice Johan. Thanks. Everyone needs that reminder now and again from what I've seen.

8. JBunni

JBunni New Member

You cannot change someone elses actions, they have to want it for themselves. You can teach them 'everything', but in the end, if they do not apply what they have been taught, it is of no benefit to them.

As for yourself, I'm not sure how you motivate yourself to do what is 'right'. I feel I am in a similar situation. I know what I need to do to live 'right', and ultimately be happy, but I cant seem to get myself to follow that path.

I think in the end it comes down to how much you want it/you believe it.