A&P Curious about what type of DLSR to get...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Laurel, May 13, 2008.

1. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Pretty much all of the artsy fartsy photos that I take are of my fish, and I have a tendency to drop things so I'll likely use my regular point and shoot camera for everything but fish shots.

I'd prefer to get a CHEAP digicam(student/trying to save for a house), but I need something that takes good low-light photos, and has inexpensive macro lenses. The farthest I'd likely be shooting would be 18" away, and the closest would be 1cm. I'd also need a slave flash or 3 that I could put above the tank for more "natural" lighting. I honestly don't know much about equipment or technical terms, which is sad, but the case. :hsd: I'd be perfectly happy sticking with my fuji finepix S700 if I were able to control focus effectively :mamoru:, and I can't justify buying a macro lens for my film SLR camera considering how few aquarium shots ever turn out properly.

Thanks for your input!

2. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

canon g9, simple fish tank shots don't need anything better.

3. Laurel

Laurel New Member

It doesn't look like it has manual focus. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to have VERY similar features to the camera I already have and am not satisfied with.

4. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

how much is your budget? Cheap and DSLR might be an oxymoron.

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

samples of fish shots? I have no clue what you're actually doing..

Manual focus on a fish would be torture.

6. Laurel

Laurel New Member

It's even worse when the camera sees the rocks in the background and decides that since they're not moving, it's much easier to focus on them. I'd like to be able to quickly snap photos and light the tank from the top, instead of relying on my on-camera flash to light the fish from the front and create a very unnatural shadow behind it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm looking to take photos more like this
    [​IMG]

My budget is low, I honestly haven't kept up on what's going on with DLSRs, so I don't know what the price range is. I'm basically looking for the cheapest MF camera with a macro lens I can get that will handle low light well.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  7. darkjedi

the last shot is nice btw.

8. Laurel

Laurel New Member

The one of the humongous forehead fish, the white ones from the rear, or the black fish?

I really like those photos with black backgrounds and they can be achieved without ps work if you have a slave flash, part of the reason I want one!

9. darkjedi

the big forhead guy. :)

10. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Yeah, it's a rad shot. I think my fish are so beautiful, and I'd like to be able to display them in the best way possible, plus I totally dig macro shots, and it would be super cool to get ultra macros and frame them to put on the wall.

11. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

You don't need a macro lens for shots like that. The examples you posted are FAR from 1:1 macro. Get a Nikon D40 with the kit lens ($479.95), plus an SB600 external flash ($184.95). You can put the flash anywhere you want and trigger it wirelessly. That's about as cheap as you'll get if you want a DSLR and an external flash.

12. Laurel

Laurel New Member

And that will take shots up to 1cm away? The reason I don't have closer shots is because my $200 fuji won't focus that close unless I disable the flash, in which case the photos don't turn out anyway.

My regular SLR can't focus even near close enough with the "stock" lens. I don't know how they compare though.

13. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

G9 does have manual focus, my neighbor has one.

14. Dwight Schrute

Oh okay. No it won't focus that close. Actually no macro lenses will focus that close. Usually the minimum focus distance is about 6" from the front element. But you don't really need to. A real macro lens can do 1:1, unlike a point and shoot, so you can get shots like this:

[​IMG]

Nikon has the older (but still great) 60mm macro for $394.95.

15. Dwight Schrute

You already have an SLR? Why not just get a macro lens?

16. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Wow. I might not need to get that close, but it sure would be cool to be able to if I wanted to.

How does the G9 manual focus work, and does it work in macro mode? I did a search on the specifications page and it didn't say anything about manual focus. My fuji says it has manual focus but it doesn't really work that well, and I'd like to be able to toy with depth of field and whatnot as well. Does the G9 require that $250 P&S slave flash or can it use a regular slr remote flash? I'd hate to spend the $$ on that camera and slave flash and have a more expensive version of my fuji, when I could have gotten a DSLR for a little more and had the option of doing other stuff with it.

17. Laurel

Laurel New Member

In the original post, I pointed out that it's a film SLR. With aquarium photography, you throw out 98% of your shots due to the fish being spazzes, and with film you don't know if any of your shots came back til they come back from being developed, it's a very expensive way to take photos of fish, plus you don't have the added perk of having a DSLR to shoot something that you want nice digital photos of outside of the aquarium.

18. Dwight Schrute

To be honest I'd just get the SLR. The G9 is still a point and shoot, no matter how you slice. And a very expensive one at that. A real SLR will be better all around, for only a few dollars more.

19. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

g9's manual focus is awkward to use. just get a dslr if manual focus is important

20. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I think i'd much rather spend an extra $100 and have a way better camera, even if it's a bottom of the line dslr.

21. Laurel

Laurel New Member

It's 75% of why I'm in the market for a new camera. I think I'll just get the DSLR. Is the D40 the way to go? Does it take good low-light shots?

22. Dwight Schrute

Definitely. The "bottom of the line" DSLRs are still MUCH better cameras than the high-end point and shoots. Once you get into the DSLR relm, the higher-end models really only give you speed, better useability, and durability. Image quality differences are negligible, especially if you're shooting at low ISO like you would be with flash.

23. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

just learn to use a flash or two or three and don't worry about low light. you're shooting in a controlled enviroment so change the light as you wish

24. Laurel

Laurel New Member

How quick is image turnover(rapidity of shots?) on the D40?

25. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

fucking fast if all you've used is a p&s :mamoru:

that's what I thought at first with my xt :mamoru: