MMA cung le not fighting again till early 2009

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Aug 15, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Strikeforce anticipates early 2009 return for champ Cung Le
    by Dann Stupp on Aug 14, 2008 at 12:30 pm ET
    Soon after his grueling upset TKO victory over Frank Shamrock to win the Strikeforce world middleweight title, Cung Le announced that he planned to take some time off from competition.

Le, who pushed his career mark to 6-0 with that third-round TKO victory in March, will now test his acting chops. Strikeforce officials expect his return and first title defense sometime in early 2009.

"He deserves it," Strikeforce Vice President Mike Afromowitz told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of Le's time off. "He deserves the time to do that, as long as he comes back in shape."

Le, an undefeated San Shou and K-1 kickboxer who made the transition into MMA in early 2006, stars in the soon-to-be-released "Fighting," which will be his silver-screen debut. Le was also recently cast as "Marshall Law" in the Hollywood adaptation of the hit video game franchise, Tekken, which is slated for release next year.

Le also has roles in the science-fiction/action flick "Pandorum" as well as "The Take Down," two movies that will also be released in 2009.

"It's good for us, having a movie star as a champion," Afromowitz said. "As long he continues training, it helps our league with him the face of the organization. We try to support those types of things with our fighters."

Le previously appeared in a few independent movies and an episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger" prior to his current gigs.

As for Le's return, there's always the potential for a rematch with Shamrock. Strikeforce officials know it's a bankable fight -- the first meeting produced 15,192 attendees for a solid $1.1 million gate -- with arguably the organization's two biggest stars.

Additionally, Strikeforce officials have big expectations for recent signee and PRIDE veteran Kazuo Misaki, who meets Joe Riggs next month at Strikeforce's Playboy Mansion event. The winner will be an immediate contender, though Riggs recently stated that he plans to drop to welterweight after the fight.

However, other options could come from outside the organization. Strikeforce and EliteXC have co-promoted in the past (including the first Shamrock vs. Le event), and the partner promotion could offer Le the chance to fight EliteXC middleweight champ Robbie Lawler or contenders such as Joey Villasenor, Murilo "Ninja" Rua and Scott Smith.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5052/strik...mp-cung-le.mma

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

it's gonna take that long to hand pick a can to smash

3. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Frank Shamrock is not a can. He handled him. Sam Morgan isn't awesome, but far from a can.

Give him some credit. I'm as big of a skeptic as anyone - but he beat Slamcock.

4. as far as high-level MMA is concerned, Sam Morgan is a can

5. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Right - but Cung isn't high level so you're comparing oranges to oranges.

It's not like Morgan is some 1-3 guy from Korea who's 30 pounds underweight ala Pride/Dream/Sengoku

6. Have you seen the guys morgan has beaten since ludwig?

When I say "high level" I mean "worthy of fighting in the UFC on the main card"

like a berkman or something qualifies.

Morgan sucks. He's on the level of like a shibata

7. the difference is that cung le hasn't been molested and embarassed in a large number of his recent fights like morgan has.

Have you SEEN his fight with petz? It was horrific.

8. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

:rofl::rofl:

awful.. and petz is awful too (at the major level at least)

9. when you fight at 170 and have no chin, gas, or wrestling and pretty much have nothing to offer but throwing hays... you're a can.

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I wonder who they would be putting him up against next. I always like watching cung le fight its very entertaining. Im more interested in shamrocks career though. Any one heard anything on his next fight. I know the tito thing fell through because tito is going for the bablu fight first but whats going on with him vs ken and him vs lawler.

11. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Maybe by early 2011 i'll give a shit

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

would anyone care if he never had another fight? i mean seriously,,,,,,,cung le,,,,,,who gives a shit he hasn't done a thing and we shouldn't even have to know his name.

overrrrrrrrrated!!!

13. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah while I'm fucking around to a certain degree I was not at all impressed with the shamrock fight, slammy didn't show up to fight to win, he showed up to fuck around and showboat, and yeah he got his arm broke for it... not that I'm trying to say that I think frank would win in a rematch for sure or anything, but I think if he had shown up serious trying to win it would have been a different fight.