Cummins vs. Duramax vs. Powerstroke

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Brandon92DSM, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Brandon92DSM

Brandon92DSM Guest

looking for opinons as to which diesel truck would be best for hauling shit, modability, longevity. I heard the PSD's are made by International, and the Duramax's are made by Isuzu? Cummins fans say the inline-6 more reliable and holds up better than the more complex V-8 diesels?

I know the Cummins sounds the best :bigthumb:

2. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

cummins > powerjoke = duramax :o

3. rezalb

rezalb Guest

CUMMINS ALL THE WAY...Cummins has the backing of the BIG truck industry...It is the only Medium-duty rated motor out of the three you listed...Only weak point of the 24-valve Cummins is the injection pump doesn't like to feed mega horsepower motor...Alot of the chips for the 24v cummins spins the injectino pump faster which, if the lift pump is not working at peak condition, will burn up the injection pump...I have seen Cummins B5.9s go well past 400,000 miles with little more than oil changes...

4. Brandon92DSM

Brandon92DSM Guest

I recently read an article in Truck Trends in which the new 2004 PowerStroke pretty much blew away the Isuzu Duramax in pretty much every aspect of acceleration and towing. I would have been really curious to see how a diesel Ram would do against the Ford, but they didnt have one for the test. BTW, all the three of them are common rail injection.

5. 0chevy0

0chevy0 Guest

the duamax is by far at the bottom of loud scale. They just get louder and louder from there. and izuzu is a branch of GM just like mazda is a branch of phord

6. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

Just watch the truck pulls. Cummins kicks ass every time.

7. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

8. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

I currently own a 24v HO 6 speed cummins... GREATEST MOTOR EVER! I wish i bought one a long time ago. My friend has a powerstroke... Its a pretty good motor. If there were no cummins i would get one, as long as it was the 7.3. I will never buy a 6.0 powerstroke. Those things have had more problems. ANd the duramax, well, it sucks cack... And im a chevy guy saying this...

9. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Guest

The new 6.0 ford is a pile of garbage, they are having a crazy amount of injector issues and headaches and have already bought back alot of trucks. I hope they get it worked out, as they should since the international version (VT365) is having very little issues, ford meddled with the programming and fucked it up.The Cummins is the best engine out there, but comes in a crappy truck. The duramax makes kinda lame power out of the box, but people have gotten 500 hp out of them with just tuning boxes and exhaust /intake mods, stock turbo and fuel system, and they are holding up. The duramax has finally gotten pretty good since thier injector horror show the first two years out, anyone that tells you otherwise is very misinformed. Hey bubba, show me a dodge truck older than ten years that is not a pile of crap, sure the engine may be running well, but the truck rusted around it. And what EXACTLY is your factual basis for saying the dmax sucks? I'm just curious. If you say the aluminum heads, I will just ignore you since that is the usual dodge rebuttal. Got a couple guys on our forums well into the 12s on just tuning boxs and some tranny addons, and one guy in the 11s with his daily driver, but who cares, it's a pickup truck.

10. bubbaZR2

I guess i dont have a problem with the Duramax, but i have a problem with the IFS. I own a ZR2 S10, and iv rebuilt the front end on the thing more times than i care to count. Its a great truck and i love it, but damn that IFS sure is weak. I cant immagine an IFS setup having to support a heavy ass diesel. My dodge has a Dana60 solid axle up front. Nothings going to break that, and dont get me started on the Dana80 rear (big ass axle!)

Iv seen plenty of the first gen Dodges with 600k+ miles. Just cause they are boxy and dont look pretty doesnt mean they are pieces of shit. Yeah dodge had that paint problem for a while but they fixed it in 98. My Dodge is a 2002. I have no worries about my truck lasting.

Its good to meet another hardcore diesel guy. Welcome aboard! I thought i was alone in this dept...

11. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Guest

Hey the dodge comment was mainly to flame you for flaming me..haha, as far as the IFS goes, our main weak link is our tie rods, but guess what, they make a dana 60 conversion that sounds pretty easy to switch over, I am pretty sure I am going to do that when warranty runs out. I even thought about picking up one of the boxy dodges with a 5 speed since being 13 years old are pretty affordable. Your dodge should last you a loooong time if you take care of it.

12. BigHowdy

BigHowdy New Member

I am a huge Ford fan and would always suggest that you go Ford, unless you are buying a diesel....I hate to say it, but the Cummins is pretty much the best diesel on the market. Unless you want to buy a truck and drop a CAT diesel in it, but that's expensive as fuck

13. jay59

jay59 New Member

Like the old saying goes "I rather be cumming than strokeing"

14. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

15. bubbaZR2

yeah, and all i can say, is the WORLDS FASTEST street truck is a cummins...

16. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Guest

Hey matrix, that ford video you posted is NOT powerstroke powered, that is maddogs truck which is cummins power, yes the cummins is one helluva diesel, but not the grand all the dodge boys think it is, real heavy diesels have cylinder liners..bleh, the cummins still runs normal bores.

17. slowrado

slowrado OT Supporter

up to you, all motors are strong and moddable

I would get the Duramax just because it's quiet.

18. ronk

ronk New Member

Ive havent owned anything but chevy trucks, same goes with my brother, dad and grandpa...we are all in agreement that none of us would buy any diesel except for the cummins in dodge. That coming from truck drivers (my dad and grandpa).

19. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

560ft-lbs is an awful lot of torque. And with all the power adders, 1000lbs is very possible for any of the 3 diesels.

20. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

cummins was always number one, and with the new cummins 600 due out, there is even less competition

21. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

If you're looking for power, go with the Powerstroke. If you're looking for overall durability, get the Cummins. If you hate yourself and want a reason to end yourself, get the Duracrap.

22. Brandon92DSM

Brandon92DSM Guest

Lots of worrys about the auto trannys being strong enough to handle the Cummins 600, but apparantly one will be offered. (I didnt know the 555 "HO" motor was only available with a manual tranny.)

23. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

On a side note, I doubt that the fullsize truck's suspension has anything at all to do with a light-duty ZR2's.
    And it's been a known fact that Chevy's suspension can't hold up even as well as Dodge, and Ford's is the best. Has been, will be. That's something that isn't a matter of opinion - Fords simply have a higher GVWR than the others, and when you throw a load on a Ford, you're not looking at the sky when you're driving.

24. bubbaZR2

nice facts buddy... really... top notch...

25. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Can you disprove them?