Cuff Rotator injuries

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mitchj, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

It appears i've torn or stressed one of the surrounding muscles on my left cuff rotator and its fucking sore if i do any sort of overhead movement, particularly stuff like upright rows

the doctor recons it will heal itself and simply said "don't lift weights until it feels completely better"

He didn't seem too competent, how long does this generally take for others who have had the same injury?

2. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

It's rotators cuff. Did you take a x-ray?

3. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

nup, he didn't want to get an x-ray.

4. marcom10

marcom10 ...

same thing here..i got an xray..doctor said it looked perfect..she basically said no overhead pressing..take anti inflammatory medications (ibuprofen) for a week and stretch it well...and don't go too heavy

well i've done all that but i'm still going heavy and it hurts but i do a good warmup...try doing 5-10 minutes of cuff exrecises with no rest and youll really feel it heat up..

i bet when you wake up its really stiff and sore right? thats cus there is no blood going to the shoulder cus it sits there while you sleep...hence getting blood to the shoulder def helps it feel better (warmup)

also after workouts i take burning hot showers..again the hot water helps stimulate blood flow and it makes the shoulders feel a lot better...

if you want to know my rotator cuff routine ive put together lemme know and ill write it up..oh and i might get a cortisone shot because i'm too lazy to stop lifting to let it heal

5. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

it's possibly a shoulder imbalance, it's been said 100x, you gotta work them evenly

and an x-ray won't show shit if it's a tissue injury

6. marcom10

marcom10 ...

also the rotator cuff is a delicate son of a bitch and its easy to strain it / have tendon-bone pinching

7. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

all of these descriptions are accurate, i find after a light warm up set it stops ripping significantly.

The question is, will it heal if you continue to lift, id like it to go back to normal without having to live on pain medication for it, there is no point lifting heavy continuing to damage it?

8. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

id say it likely is a tissue issue, hence no x-ray

my shoulders are uneven yes, my whole body is. For some reason the right just grows about 10-20% better. But i bench evenly, i just use a slightly wider grip on my left and it seems to work.

9. Spidey

Spidey Member

I strained what I suspect is the rotator cuff at the beginning of the year. I've been working around it but can still feel it 7 mos into the year :wtc:
    Hopefully your injury isn't as bad.

10. marcom10

marcom10 ...

It will probably heal if you continue to lift but light weights...

also check into active release techniques (google) apparently movements of the tissue and shit can really work wonders

11. marcom10

marcom10 ...

12. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

whats the purpose of going heavy if it hurts? Do you think your shoulder is going to magically feel better? The shoulder gets no blood when you sleep? Are you serious?:ugh: After a workout you should be icing the shit out of it not warming it more.

13. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Since you don't know which cuff muscle it is not many people here can help you. Could be infraspinatus, supraspinatus, could be ac joint inflammation. Only way to know is with an mri. You should be doing internal+external stretching, along with subscap strengthening movements

14. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

I dislocated my right shoulder, which damaged my rotator cuff. It's never been the same, and likely never will be. Kind of a bummer, but a good life lesson.

15. JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo

JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo Live Free or Die

something is fucked up in my shoulder as well, i havent dont any over head presses in 2 months, fuckin sucks

16. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

do some light rotator movements. get an MRI to find out exactly what it is. ice/advil lots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.