MMA Cuban hangs down from helicopter to sign Mayhem

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Nov 15, 2007.

  1. Atmosphere

    Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2002
    Messages:
    111,611
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    lollyfornia
    The Story of How HDNet Fights Landed Jason “Mayhem” Miller
    Posted by MMA Junkie on November 14, 2007 at 4:07 pm ET
    One day Jason “Mayhem” Miller was riding in his car, cruising along the freeway, when his cell phone began to ring. So he picked it up.

    A mystery caller greeted him — and then told him to look out his window.

    Outside, the 26-year-old fighter couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Hanging from a rope, tied to a helicopter, was Mark Cuban.

    What in the world was the billionaire HDNet Fights owner doing, flailing about as they sped down the highway?

    Recruiting.

    Grasping the rope with one hand, Cuban was waving a fight contract with the other.

    “That’s when I knew it was serious business,” Miller said.

    And that’s the story of how Miller signed on with HDNet Fights for a Dec. 15 co-main event with Sean Salmon.

    Well, that’s how Miller told the story, anyway, during today’s HDNet Fights media conference call. And anyone familiar with the personable and carefree middleweight knows he may have taken some creative license with the storytelling.

    HDNet Fights recently signed both Miller and Salmon — as well as co-main-event fighters Frank Trigg and Edwin Dewees — to contracts for the Dec. 15 event, which takes place at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. “HDNet Fights: Reckless Abandon” airs live on HDNet in high-definition.

    HDNet Fights matchmaker Guy Mezger today confirmed that both Miller and Trigg signed three-fight, nonexclusive deals with the upstart Dallas-based organization.

    The signing of Miller came a just a month after the fighter officially severed ties with Zuffa LLC, the parent company of the UFC and WEC. Miller had been assigned to the WEC, but once he saw a way to escape, he said he took it.

    Despite the fact that he was the only real contender to challenge WEC middleweight Paulo Filho, Miller said he had little incentive to stay with the organization.

    “It’s pretty hard to get excited for (WEC) fights,” Miller said. “I know the WEC is pushing hard to be on par with the UFC, but I felt like I was back in high school wrestling again and fighting in front of 200 people. I wasn’t excited about my career.

    “The Zuffa organization does a good job of trying to lock up their top guys forever. When I felt like I had an opportunity to leave, I did.“

    Miller said he’s been treated phenomenally by HDNet Fights officials. However, he said the generous pay they offered (which was better than an offer he said he received from EliteXC), as well as the opportunity to fight outside the organization, is what convinced him to sign a contract.

    “I have short amount of time to make a maximum amount of money beating people up,” Miller said. “I have no other job skills.“
     
  2. Rob H

    Rob H New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2006
    Messages:
    6,570
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    SCV, CA
    lol @ not having anyother job skills :rofl:
     
  3. Sean Salmon better make the most out of his ability to take a beating before he quits fighting. Geez that guy's had it rough.

    Also, I just heard from Dana. Mayhem always sucked, nobody likes him, and he got fired. HDnet sucks too. Also the girl that dumped Dana in 8th grade was fat and ugly.
     
  4. checkii

    checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2003
    Messages:
    22,489
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    rain street
    I heart mayhem
     
  5. yawgmoth

    yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2004
    Messages:
    3,328
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Iowa/Phyrexia
    :rofl::rofl:
     

Share This Page