WEB Cub Scout site. Joomla - Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stylerod, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Stylerod

Stylerod 150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:

Hey all. My son has been in a Cub Scout pack now for 3 years and I am a leader. The year my son started the guy who had been taking care of their website moved and since I knew "something" about computers and the web I got the job. It was originally on DotNukeNet which was pretty good and was easy to use. But then it got really unstable and would be down for days at a time and GoDaddy couldn't give us an answer since the guy installed it himself and didn't use their installer.

Anyway, I just created a simple web page with the specifics and kept it updated as needed. But the pack is growing (from 12 kids to 50+ in 4 years) and we needed something bigger and better.

So I went through the GoDaddy options, read about them and figured Jooma would fit our needs the best. I needed something that could be updated by other leaders besides myself and I needed it to be easy for them to update their own sections.

Well, it took me forever to get it working right. The learning curve was HUGE. I must have put 80+ hours into it before it felt like I could make it public which I finally did today.

I'm fairly happy with it. It's neat and clean and the other leaders have already logged in and are updating their own sections. But fuck. To get to this point was maddening.

Would something like Wordpress have been a better option? Can different people have their own logons to update separate sections using that software? I'm hoping that now that the site is 98% complete I won't have to screw with it anymore and I can just update my section as needed. But if wordpress would do the same as this and is easier to use I could always start making the site there.

Just thought I would throw that by you all and see what you think. Thanks.

2. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Not sure if they could do the same thing without seeing your site to see what exactly you are doing. Do you just update a single page with some information or something?

3. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

From what it sounds like, Wordpress wouldn't have been a better solution. Multiple users with different sections and such is much better with a full CMS.

4. Stylerod

I have a separate section for each leaders Den. I have asked them to keep their own sections up to date so their parents have a place to go to see what is planned and what has been done. The pack leader has access to update the front page so he can keep parents updated on pack events.

If wordpress couldn't do that type of specific user access then I guess I'm glad I went with Joomla. It was a bitch, but at least when the site it done that's it. It really doesn't have to be touched again.

Thanks for the reply guys.

5. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Hmmmmm I guess the Cub Scouts has changed since I was in it.

6. Stylerod

:dunno: What do you mean?

7. CrazyInteg

We didn't have websites, or even computers. We had scout books, we had parents from different industries showing us stuff (like a nurse showing us CPR), we did crafts (bird house from popsickle sticks) and had to memorize all those things from the scout book.

I'm not that old, but nobody had the internet back then (late 80's). We managed just fine. I don't even know what you would put on a Cub Scout website.

8. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

yea because a website wont add the convenience to having schedules, calendars, events and stuff online, right?

9. CrazyInteg

Sure, but that's basic stuff. The OP was saying it was a lot of work. 80+ hours, user logins, etc. What the heck kind of website is he building? That's what I don't understand.

10. Stylerod

We have over 50 scouts in our Pack. We are really active and our "One hour a week" with the kids is packed so we don't have as much time to talk with the parents as we would like. With the website we have a calender, leader contact list, photo gallery, paypal store for paying for dues, camping trips, extra t-shits, events and donations. The leaders have their own sections so they can let the parents know what Den Specific Event is coming up. Like if the Tigers (1st graders) have a trip to a fire station in a few weeks they can put that in there plus add a google maps link so the parents know how to get there. We have a pdf document of the parents handbook. Links to where the patches go for uniforms. Camping links with directions to the campground, map of the campground, a check list of what to bring to campouts etc.

Dude. Having a website is a HUGE benefit to a large pack like ourselves. It allows us to spend more time with the kids and less time giving handouts to the parents and answering questions on how to get places or what events are coming up.

11. CrazyInteg

12. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

I use Joomla :bigthumb: Its great