CSci Graduates..what'd you do??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rengo, Nov 10, 2004.

1. rengo

rengo Are you ready to rock, BK broiler!?

Posted this in Offtopic for reason..I was silly to hope for a response..this might be a more fitting place for it.

I started out liking programming, but now that I'm almost done with school, I'm not sure if I want to spend the rest of my days doing it. Anyone in this boat? It's not as appealing to me as it once was. The only programming language that remotely interests me right now is Perl & PHP, but I have no experience with either.

Even worse is the fact that programming jobs are very sparse where I live, and I'm just basically stuck with whatever I can land..

I guess I could apply for an IS job and probably beat out the IS majors applying...because that stuff is a little more interesting to me.

WTF to do? :dunno:

2. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

i can tell you that you aren't alone....just graduated with a CIS degree, feel like vomiting any time i look at code, and prolly will never land a job that requires programming knowledge (theory of actually).....me personally im looking at other fields in the industry that hold my attention (similar to what you are doing)

the bright side is that most positions dont really care about your knowledge, they just like to see that you stuck through 4 years of VOLUNTARY schooling. so basically all college will get you is a guarantee that you aren't a quitter (or close to a guarantee). so go do whatever makes you happy and leave coding behind if you want, the degree will still help you in ways you didnt imagine :)

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If you like IT or IS, you could always do a one-year certificate program or something and work in that field. If you like Perl/PHP/web design, since you know all the theory, it's not too tough to just pick it up and start doing it.

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

im on my 3rd year of CIS and i am a programmer by chocie. I know that more and more programming jobs are being outsourced. So I am now focusing on IT Managment :big grin: And hell it's even more $$$ and i can programm on my free time at home (or jump in on a project)

5. Penguin Man

The IT market is fairly tight, but if you can find a job that requires some degree of programming knowledge, they might prefer a CS guy for the job.

As a side note, I'm in my first year of comp sci, so I'm not really worrying about the job market yet. It'll be at least four years until I'm done school (more if I do a graduate degree), so anything can change in that time.

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well, in the traditional sense, computer science is the science to compute, NOT PROGRAMMING!!!

In a sense there are 3 levels of jobs for CS.

1. Construction works - basically programmers, network admin...etc.

2. Engneers - higher paid, more skilled slaves. So called software engneer, IT management, network design (CCIE). Those people can still be replaced fairly easily, and their job can still be out-sourced and will be our-sourced sooner or later.

3. Designers - Must know HCI, various different types of system architecture, various OS, development platform. Basically must have high-lever skills yet understand the low level details... Those people are hard to come by, and most people with CS undergrads don't make it here.

EDIT: development platform

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  7. Penguin Man

True story. In fact, at my school they call it Computing Science to stress that it's the science of computing, not just computers.

8. JNS

JNS New Member

I agree. You do not have to feel limited to just programming. The degree will help you out in whatever you choose to do.

9. CyberBullets

UofA?

10. Penguin Man

11. rengo

rengo Are you ready to rock, BK broiler!?

This sounds like a very interesting idea..I'm applying for some IT management jobs right now. I just did like a shotgun approach to applying..got a resume going out to many different types of "computing" jobs.

10-20 years ago I would get a job and be there until I retire. Nowadays I'm pretty sure I'll be jumping around..so if I'm not liking my job too much, there are plenty of chances for change.

And another note, your AV is disturbing. :noes::noes:

12. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

yes all of you recent grads will all find IT Management jobs right out of school :hsugh:

Most "IT" Managers have no clue about what they are doing, however they are good at managing people...

welcome to the real world!

13. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

:rofl: Yep man... Some of them really need a reality check...

Like I said... most people with just a CS undergrad degree will become a consturctor/Engineer. They are going to cry like a baby when they got layoff because they are incompetent.. :sadwavey:

Then they gonna setup a union, push for laws and try to stop out-sourcing and wut not... Those idiots are killing the economy... But well I don't live in the states... So, it's none of my busniess I guess...

14. Penguin Man

Yep, there's really no point to getting just a BSc in comp sci, you can basically do the same thing as someone with a cert that took less than half as long to get. I love comp sci, it's my passion, so I don't really care about the job market. I'm not in it for the money.

15. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Somehow one gotta feed him/herself... I am kinda lucky in that regards, but not everyone is like me...

It really sucks for those CS and even a lot of Engineering student to graduate and can't find a decent job... :( On the one hand, I outta know what they were getting into :hsugh:, and perhaps go for grad school, or be more competent somehow... But with that said... it is still said...

16. Penguin Man

I'm planning to do co-op, so I'll have some experience and hopefully a foot in the door when I'm done my undergrad degree. I'll probably do a graduate degree anyway, but it's nice to have options there.

17. CyberBullets

i never said i would find an IT manager job out of school. that is what im studying in though. i have excellent programming skills, analysis skills, ive specalized also in project managment. from design through retirment.

i know i wont get an IT manager job, ill probably work some help desk right out of school for the govnt and work my way up gaining experience.

18. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

programming -- dime a dozen, unless you are the top 1%
    analysis -- what have you really analyzed in school? nothing to do with a real business
    project management -- you can study all you want....real experience with deadlines, workers slacking, unforseen obstacles, budget cuts, changing a scope of a project cannot be studied :wavey:

19. CyberBullets

obviously you have never taken any real project managment classes or software design classes. my profs LOVE to change project dates and change the scope of the project. they send emails out changing from 1 week, to 24h. That was one hell of a night when my CIS 370 prof did that to us. :o And had to re-present it that next morning to him.

i dunno about your profs, but mine love to watch us work our asses off as we have to deal with these problems, and how we overcome them as a group and individuals.

but then who are you to question my goals for my career? please go fuck yourself :big grin:

20. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Don't mean to diss you or anything, but what you do in school is pretty different from the real world. A degree will give you a good fundation, and hopefully you do pick up some research skills during the years. However, the things that you do is pretty different from the real world.

Put it this way, think about the assignments that you have done so far. Specifically those required programming. Have you ever thought about the user? The maintainability of your code? Morever, how many of those assignments are about maintaining existing software? 90% of the programming job is maintaining patching existing systems. Which means that you need the ability to understand other people work [most of them are lousy with bad documentations].

That's programming. If you talk about management, then do you have people skills? Do you think that they will let you manage a team right off the bet? :rofl: If not, what position they will put you in first? :hsd:

Have you ever dealt with a REAL client and write a softwrae that's gonna be used by REAL people? Seriously, they ain't easy to deal with at times.

So, be prepared and good luck man... Oh, btw are you from UCFV?

21. CyberBullets

yes im from UCFV. im the CISSA pres this year. and no you didnt diss me SL1200MK4, your post was more constructive criticizm.

acctually this summer i worked with one of my Profs in his company on a project design team. I had the best summer job ever. I was involved on serveral projects that were under redesign, and 2 that were brand new. (Can't be specific due to NDAs). I never met with clients (that was my boss's job), but I got their notes passed to me, and had to work with that with my team. I was involved in the whole process, but more specifically i was a jr programmer and QA tester.

I know about writing code that has to be maintainable. One of the systems we worked on had zero documentation and was scattered all over. Trying to map it out was a nightmare for my team.

Next semester, ill be taking another program dev class which studies old students code (all anonymous) and maintaining it. I don't have the gist of what exactly goes on in the class (new class), but should be interesting.

Lets say what I learnt at that company has helped me in school ten fold. And yes im used to dealing with people. And yes, (not blowing sun up my own ass) I am a natural leader and very charasmatic, which has also helped my military career :big grin: (Airforce Officer)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  22. putty

putty Guest

i think you need to start your own company with a bunch of friends to be a happy coder:

work on your schedule, do your own projects, and have coworkers who are on the same brainwave as you :big grin: