A&P CS3 help with basics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Nullius, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Nullius

Nullius New Member

I'm no stranger to lightroom, been using it for quite some time and i've got a decent handle on it. mind you i'm nothing crazy, just started using CS3 and i've got to admit, it's so complex and sophisticated that i don't know where to start.

First and foremost i want to start putting borders around *some* of my pictures, and second, putting my name on them. Not in watermark form, just as a little signature down in the corner.

I've been all over youtube and google but the tutorials are all over the place and most of the time they're talking about advanced techniques i've never heard of so i don't even have a jumping off point, so if anyone has any good links of where to start for the basics and work my way up i'd appreciate it.

some of my work just for shits and giggles...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. screaminginside

screaminginside New Member

One of the easiest way to put a boarder around your image in PS CS3 is
    1)open your image in PS CS3
    2)goto Image>Canvas Size
    3)in the Canvas Size Dialog box click on the check box for Relative
    4)Now type into the Width and Hight input box the amount of boarder that you want.
    5)Make sure that your Anchor is set to the center of the grid
    6)Finally at the bottom of the Dialog box select your boarder color from the drop down menu next to Canvas Extension Color
    7)Click on OK

This should give you a boarder in the width that you entered in around your photo.

This is just one of the many ways to do this.

3. screaminginside

For your signature in the corner do you have a scanned or digital version of you signature?

4. mojito

mojito New Member

lots and lots of ways to do each. check out russel brown's site, lots of free tutorials.

5. kristin

kristin my dog > *

Easiest way IMO is actually to grab the selection tool, select all, right click and hit stroke :o

6. screaminginside

That is an easier way to do it true. And like i said that was just one way of many. Your method As described places a stroke inside of your image taking away picture information. So if you want to replace the outside edge of your photo with a boarder then that method is a great way.

The method that i offer takes your image and adds to the outside edge not damaging any of your photo or reducing image resolution. I try to practice non destructive image manipulation when i work in PS CS3. That way when clients ask for a revision, and they often do, it's more convenient to manipulate than to start over.

7. Nullius

Nullius New Member

i will have a scanned original, yes. just want to input it to part of the photo, but i'd be doing this on hundreds at a time potentially, so i'd like to be able to do it as a batch/action

8. Nullius

Nullius New Member

this is excellent, thanks :bigthumb:

9. screaminginside

Glad to help.

I don't know how to do a batch add with a graphic element like a signature.
    I know there is a way to set up an action and batch process using that action. I have never done this myself but I'm sure someone on here will know a good way of doing so.

If your scanned signature is a black signature on a white background you can place that graphic on a separate layer above your image, then simply change the blending mode of that layer to Multiply this setting is a drop down menu located in your layers window. This will mask out all the white leaving only your signature. This is a quick way to add the signature for one image at a time.

This is good if you only have a black and white information that you want to overlay.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

you can use illustrator to make a vector file of the signature, then you can convert it to a brush and make an action, works pretty well but more work than I've ever bothered to do