Crystal Reports is a 500lb gorilla.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, Feb 15, 2004.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

OK.

If you never deployed Crystal Reports, then just ignore this totally worthless rant.

So my original setup installation was about 4 MB, but I was missing the MDAC (ADO.NET database support). OK, that's fine. I need that. Setup is now up to 9 MB. Now Crystal reports doesn't work. I need to include some msm merge module files with the installation. Setup is now up to 12 MB. That wasn't enough. I find out the hard way that I have to edit a certain merge file with a serial code. NOPE! There's more. Now the reports work, but can not display charts/graphics/pies without... you guessed it - another merge module file.

Setup is now a 19 MB download.

OH wait! It doesn't end there. If the user doesn't have the .NET framework installed on their machine, then they will be prompted to download it. The .NET framework by itself is about 23 MB. All of this for an application that's about 1.8 MB in size.

:rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :rant2:

2. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

:o i use to love it, just design a report and then throw a database set at it from VB :coold:

3. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

It's a pretty powerful tool. It makes my application much more attractive. I thought about reinventing the wheel, but there's so much already done within Crystal Reports. I must say though, working with CR was a nightmare. On one side of things, it's pretty damn simple. While on the other side of things, it's a total nightmare. I could not change the database at runtime, despite looking at some sample code. The sample they put out loops though every table in the database. :ugh: In the end, I created my data source templates with custom DataSources done in XML. These XML DataSources are the template for the data (Table name, fields, etc). At runtime, I just treat these datasources as a DataSet. Everything is now super mega smooth. On my machine and on the other installation machine.

I still don't know why someone would purchase the Crystal Reports .NET software package. I assume it's some how MORE than what you get with Visual Studio .NET

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

VBGOD - I'm not a professional developer like you (in college for engineering) but I've used the new .NET stuff, and I really don't understand what exactly has changed with .NET or how it benefits (or doesnt benefit) developers and end users. I don't really know of any other place else to ask this question, so what is different with .NET and is it worth switching to? :o

5. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

VB.Net is more object orientated than traditional VB6 or previous. C# (C-Sharp) is included in .Net which is more or less like Microsoft answer to Sun's Java language. They are actually very similiar.

One thing that I like about the .Net language is the fact that you can share classes of different languages. So for instance, say your buddy writes a class in C# and you do the rest in VB.Net...well you can still use their C# class cause the compiler understand both. C# is a little less bloated than VB.Net but I personally like VB.Net cause its so simple and very powerful now with its object orientated design and enhancements.

The .Net language is also supposed to cross platform compatible so it can run on any machine with the .Net framework installed. I got into .Net cause I needed a solution to my web page applications. I use ASP.Net with VB.Net and you can create some really cool dynamic web applications simple. ASP.Net 2.0 (whidbey) is supposed to be out soon too which is gonna have some awesome features as well.

.Net also introduced the ADO.Net package which its quite different from ADO. I like it cause its disconneced vs. the original ADO. It has less overhead while still being as powerful.

There are more differences i'm sure that I left out, but im just and average programmer and thats what .Net in a nutshell means to me! :) hope that helps.

6. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

Ohh yeah, I almost forgot, XML. Its integrated into .Net and its languages which allows an easy method of exchanging data from program to program that is able to interpret the XML language.

7. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

Hey VBGOD, can you give me a quick explaination of what Crystal Reports does/is and how it can help a programmer writing a program that needs to store information in a database, etc.?

8. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Very nice summary.

9. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

This is an example:

[​IMG]

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I downloaded a program once that somebody coded in .NET. I deleted it after I saw how much stuff I needed to install to get it to run. :greddy: So much for stoping code bloat.

11. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Rob, all you should have needed is the framework. Any other libraries should have been included by the developer. I agree needing the framework is bloat, but all things considered it's nothing. Sooner or later every Windows user will have the framework by default.

12. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Isn't framework part of Windows Update?

Also - I hate Crystal Reports.. I had to learn it when I worked for a software company a few years ago.. and COULD NOT stand that program. Obnoxious and a pain in the ass to work with..

..but final results were great.

13. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

The Framework is in Windows Update, but in the "optional" section.

I hate CR too :o