SRS Crystal Meth

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MapleLeaf, May 23, 2005.

1. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

I have a friend who has become addicted to Crystal Meth. Attempts to get him into a treatment program or counselling have all been for naught. He reasons it with, I don't need those types of programs, I can quit on my own. In fact he did quit for a while but has gone back to it.

I know it is one of the most addictive substances on the streets right now, but does anyone have any experience in helping this person see the light of day and get off the fucking stuff before it kills him? Oh yeah, he is ~40 if that makes a difference.

Merci,
    MapleLeaf

2. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

He needs to get himself to rehab

3. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

Let him do what he wants... if he wants to ruin his life that's his problem... he is probably doing it for some reason... or if you really want to help him tell him to pick between you and the drugs... if he says the drugs then he wasn't worth saving in the first place.

4. sholnay

sholnay New Member

he needs serious rehab, a place that will probably cost serious money that has not only a detox but a live in rehabilitation center and extensive followup programs.

If he doesnt want to get off of it - its not going to be easy any which way.

Maybe you can get ahold of the documentary "Crank: Made in America" that was aired on HBO probably a year or so ago was when I saw it. Truely an eye opener to the drug - the documentary takes a non judgemental approach to the drug and follows several families around and shows how the drug affects them and the lives around them etc. Very well done.

LINK: http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/crank/

pulled from a site:
    How can I get help for myself or someone else who has a methamphetamine problem?
    Here are some hotlines where you can get help for yourself or someone who has a drug problem
    • National Council on Alcoholism & Drug Dependence Hopeline
      1-800-622-2255
      Provide information and referrals to local services, including counseling and treatment. You can also use their online treatment facility locator
    • Covenant House Nineline for Kids and Parents
      1-800-999-9999
      Kids and parents can reach out any time of the day or night for free, confidential, and immediate help.
    • Girls and Boys Town National Hotline
      1-800-448-3000
      Counselors available anytime to talk.
    Did you know that there is only a 6% success rate for people trying to quit meth use? It is the most addictive drug known with some of the hardest side effects.

5. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

:werd: (*emphasis added by CoCo) He needs to be the one to make this move, but his friends should be there to support him.

6. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

I was hoping someone had an idea to force the issue. I recognise that he needs to be the one to make the move, but my cajoling is not getting him to make that move. He does not view it as an addiction and comes out with I can stop it whenever I want, which we both know is a crock of shit.

If /when he goes I will be there with him and for him... I guess I was fishing for a way to force him, which doesn't seem too likely.

7. suckmyexhaust

suckmyexhaust New Member

when ever your friend goes to work, see if you can get into his place, and put notes all over the joint. Get pamphlets, sticky notes, anything.

Make it a rude wake up call and let it go from there. In high school, my teached called it a form of shock therp.

8. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

You have to wait until he hits rock bottom again. Sorry, but people like this are nearly impossible to help.

9. sholnay

sholnay New Member

that documentary i mentioned really is shocking...

10. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Well, since it's all the rage in the world of Desperate Housewives and The OC, maybe staging an intervention will be helpful. If you feel he needs the push... However, his remarks sound like he's not ready. Shocking him into the reality of the situation can be complicated.

11. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

This is the shittiest piece of advice I have ever read and I pity whomever may be a friend of yours. :rolleyes:

12. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

I'm also going to move this thread out of The Closet and into The Asylum given the nature of the thread...

13. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

In the long run the meth is going to corrupt his body, so the sooner you convince him to get into a clinic the better. The only way to convince him is to let him see the reality, maby you could even setup a scheme in which you say to him that a friend of you died lately ,due to the use of crystal meth,and that you really would like to see him quit using that stuf. Anyway im sure that the folks in the road to recovery could give you some great extra additional advice on it also, they are the ones who most of the time deal with acohol drugs and smoking, so maby you could additionally put a copy of this post in there.

14. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

I had actually put the post in the closet as crystal meth is taking over the gay community (and my friend is gay). In some cities 1 in 2 gay males are addicted to crystal meth. It is out of control. Along with that addiciton comes the relaxation in sexual inhibitions (aka have sex with as many as you can while high), a usual "we don't need to be safe" etc. Now along with the crystal meth addiction comes a huge spike in HIV infections...

Personally I don't think it belongs in Asylum, recovery maybe, the closet sure, but not here. Just my opinion.

15. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

meth head huh? fuck em let em do that shit till they die who gives a shit.

meth heads are all fucking losers anyway

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well blood that remark doesn't help either does it :ugh2:

We need a form of medication that can immunize the human brain against drugs addictions.

17. Felixx219

Felixx219 New Member

I use to have a problem with Meth. I did the drug everyday for nearly a year. I had stopped hanging out with my real friends and started hanging out with other users. One night I decided not to use and go out with one of my closest friends who I had not spent time with in a long time. That night I realized the life I was missing and I never touched the stuff again. That was four years ago next month.

Maybe if you take him out and show him the sober life can be more fun and show him what he is missing then it will wake him up. If that doesnt work he needs to get professional help.

18. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

you're an idiot and you are not helping. Leave your condecending shit outta here :gtfo:

As to your friend MapleLeaf, it's a shame he's now trapped in the cycle. I know meth use is endemic in gay communities around the continent now and it's helping fuel the spread of AIDS which helps no one.

I think he needs a fresh prespective on life frankly, I mean, why did he stop then go back? I think he needs to associate himself with people who do not associate themselves with meth/drug use.

I have no practical advice other than that, but I do think this may be better suited for Road 2 Recovery since a few people there have managed to turn their life around. I'll let the mods here (or there since they work together) decide that but that's just my thoughts.

good luck :love:

19. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yeah, there's really not much you can do. Depending on how close of a friend he is to you, you could go to Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meetings. Showing him that Crank: Made In America was actually a really good idea. Read the stickies in Road To Recovery, there is a link to Nar-Anon and Al-Anon meetings.

If you believe in God, pray for him. You can tell him you'll drive him to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting if he wants to go, and you'll go with him to support him. You can also tell him you'll assist getting him into recovery home if he has the desire to get his act together. If he lacks the desire to stop using, jails, institutions and death are the only thing that will stop him.

20. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

congratulations to you for your sobriety :)

to the thread starter: I don't know what has commenced sinc eyou last posted this, but there isn't much you can do for your friend other than exhibit some tough love. Let him know that you will be there for him as a friend when he feels he is ready to face that he has a problem. People can't see what is going on around them, what they are missing out on,and the people they are hurting by choosing meth over life, friends, family, productivity at work.

It's really hard to sit back and see people waste away. So in the case you do want to stay in his life, don't enable your friend. Be honest with your friend. Being blunt may save his life, but if he decides to choose meth over life, don't be surprised and don't blame yourself

21. Sandlapper

Sandlapper Nothing is Finer, than Carolina!

Try and help him, if he denies it walk away. Being around someone who is destructive causes problems.

22. lauren

lauren Active Member

he needs to make this choice himself, no rehab will be productive if its against his will. also, you chant change fundamentle charactor traits, only environment. if he has an addictive personality (which he does) you wont ever be able to change that...BUT you can change your envrionment, ie change who you hang out with. as long as he still associates with users, he will use. once he starts associateing with clean(er) people, it will be easier to distance himself from meth. good luck. ive been there too, but quit by myself bc i hate having help (=hardheaded). i had to pick up and leave for another town to get away from those who caused temptation.