CRX questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Biomechanoid, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm considering switching frames for my LS1 swap and am considering a CRX as one of my options- just 3 questions:

1) what's the curb weight of a CRX
    2) what's the width of the rear axles (I'm going to have to get a diff from a TA and chop it down to size)
    3) what's the dimensions of the engine bay when totally stripped?

there's a rolling frame CRX at the junkyard for $300 that I might replace my fiero with :hs:

2. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

What year CRX? I don't know if that really matters.

1990 Honda CRX HF:
    Curb Weight - 1,967lbs.
    Overall Vehicle Width - 65.9in

My buddy owns 2 CRX's and one is at my house. If no one can get the 2nd and 3rd spec you are asking for, I can go get a basic measure.

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

the size of the engine bay is the only one that I really need as it's going to tell me wether or not I can cram this v-8 in there. but damn... 1900lbs and that's not stripped either... I could probably get it down to about 1500lbs. if I can fit this (hopefully) 400HP beast in there... :hsugh:

4. KeeperOfAcheron

I would be pretty nuts to see....

If no one responds, I'll measure his engine bay when I got off work.

5. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

did you get those dimensions? I can't get back the the 'yard until sunday or I'd measure them myself.

6. KeeperOfAcheron

Sorry, I never was able to last night. Ended up passing out due to my buddy's 22nd B-Day. I can get them today for you at 12 when I get home for lunch.

7. masta flash

masta flash Guest

:rofl:
    that would be interesting to see....im going to guess it wont fit, but i'll run out and measure it for you right now. hell, going from a 1.6L to a 2.2L engine (with tranny) is a tight squeeze

the weight depends on the trim crx. the 88hf's were barely 1850lbs, and the 91 Si's were closer to 2250 i think. you could drop it down to 1500 with some work...there isnt much to remove on the hf's though (and adding that engine will add a lot of weight)

if you do that swap, i would love to check it out. i have two crx's and have helped a few friends with swaps in their crx's too, but never anything besides stock sized motors, B16's, and b18's. i'm in tampa or st. pete from time to time (because you guys have the cool museums and events)

these aren't perfect #'s but it's dark outside:
    -in between the two shock towers = 31"
    -widest part of engine bay = 37"
    -from firewall to about as far forward as you can use - 30" if you're lucky (that would be without the radiator and maybe some cutting up front)
    -from the ground to the highest point on the stock hood = 29"

8. SpeedSin

SpeedSin Guest

1) My 88 HF weighed 1872 w/ me and a 1/4 tank.
    2) Not sure (not very wide)
    3) Not large enough to cram an ls1 into without modifying the firewall and subframe.(I would know, I have a CRX and A WS6)

Good luck if your serious...