Cruiser starter bikes?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 4W4K3, Jul 28, 2006.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Have only ever been interested in "sport bikes", and when considering a good beginner bike I only ever thought of sport bikes (Ninja 500R, GS500).

But I've been drooling at the Suzuki M50's as well, they are pure sex. Cruisers though, and I don't think they are intended for beginners, are they?

So...if you're not interested in sport bikes, but cruiser bikes instead...do you still start out on a beginner sport bike? What is a good beginner "crusier" bike?

2. machine81

machine81 New Member

Honda Shadow

Kawasaki Vulcan

Suzuki Intruder (maybe)

Yamaha Dragstar 650

Go to www.motorbikes.be/en and do some checking.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  3. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I've been doing a lot of research about this, looking to get my first real bike (I ride a 200cc scooter right now). Honda Shadow 750, Harley Davidson 883 Sportster, Yamaha Virago, and Suzuki Boulevard s50, m50, or c50 are the ones I narrowed it down to, for me. The 883 Sportster is what I'm going to be getting, and the Shadow 750 is in the number 2 slot. The Virago is nice, but to find one 600cc+, you're looking at a bike that is about 10+ years old. The Suzukis are nice, they just didn't do anything for me. The Harley got me because it's got great resale value and can grow with me. For under $500 in parts, you can take it from 883cc to 1200cc, it's like moving up to a bigger bike without the hassle of selling yours and buying a new one. They share the same crank, rods, block, and heads with the 1200, so all you're doing is replacing the cylinders and pistons. Should be a bike I can ride for a long time.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

err...and why do you want a 900-1200cc bike as a FIRST bike? That is a terrible decision if you ask me, and I can't think of any other riders I know who would recommend that much power, even if you think you can handle it.

I was hoping to stay under 500cc's for a first bike. Definetly enough for a first time rider. I'll check it out machine81

EDIT: If I could get different wheels on that Vulcan, I'd be more than happy with it...as far as looks go. Just over the power I wanted, close enough I think. My only issue with cruisers is weight...I'm a small kid. 120lbs :hsugh: Will probly have to stay far away from the big beefy bikes, I'd never get it up after a drop.

EDIT2: lol you fooled me. Your Kawi link is actually the Honda. Just noticed. So it's the Shadow. My friend has one I believe...will check it out.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  5. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Cruisers aren't like a sportbike, they're heavier and not geared for speed. Something under 500ccs, you'll probably outgrow pretty quickly. Although being the wee li'l feller you are, something that size might be better suited to you. And this is going to be my first real bike, but I've been riding my scooter for about a year now. I know it's only a 200cc scooter (Piaggio BV200), but it handles nicely and does 80-85 MPH, so it's more like a small motorcycle with an automatic transmission. And I outgrew it in about 6 months. But I'm 6 foot tall and weigh about 185, so I'll be able to handle a bigger bike pretty easily. The Harley 883 is only about 200 pounds heavier than my scooter, and the extra power (57 vs. 21) will give me the extra power for passing on the freeway. But most sportbikes over 500cc's will whoop it in a straight line. But I'm not looking for a sportbike, I just want to cruise. For someone your size, then, yeah, look for something in the 600cc range. Decide what size would be good for you, then move up one notch, otherwise you'll just putgrow it too fast. 600's have good power, and are smaller, so should be pretty good for you. Best thing to do is to go sit on some bikes and see how they fit. How tall are you?

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

5' 9", and yah I did forget not everyone is as small as me. I can leg press ~600lbs and bench *maybe* 150, but still small stature will set me back. I have yet to actually sit on a bike, just been looking at pictures and reading specs...

7. Frequency

Frequency New Member

a good starting range for cruisers is 650 to 1000cc IMO
    With that said im looking to start my g/f on a the 650 suzuki boulevard(sp)
    she is 5'1" about 115 - 120

8. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

the m50 and m50 black are 800 and some odd cc's i believe. great looking bike. if i could have found a better deal i think i would have bought one. reall easy to ride too and ive ridden all of the suzuki's including the c109 r.

9. machine81

machine81 New Member

You mean the M109R?

You should go take a ride on it and let me know what you think. I'm curious how it compares to the other Suzukis.

10. keleko

keleko yes, he is

a 500 is too small of a bike physicaly, for me

sat on more than one and it looked/felt like it was the kind of bike you'd see in a circus with a clown riding it

got an '82 CB750F now - fits just fine, though i need to sell it

11. jtl090179

:hs: oops i meant the m109. and ive ridden it. at my stature 5'7", when i put my right leg down at a stop it rides right on the exhaust piping theres no getting around it. its seems really fast. supposed to be the fastest v-twin in production today :dunno: i only rode it for a test ride for 15 or so minutes.

but anywho, when i was pulling into the parking lot on it, a lady pulled out in front of me and i pulled the clutch in, and rolled to a slow crawl. when i popped the clutch out again, i didnt give it any gas and the thing died and locked up on me and gave a full on tail swing. you should have seen the look on the salesman face when i almost dropped his 12K bike

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

there seems to be no getting around dumbass drivers, even a ride around the block is fucking life threatening. i always try to give bikers the right of way, and block off other cars who appear to not be paying attention. most bikers out of courteousy/respect, and alot of squids out of fear.

13. jtl090179

:cool: helmets off to you my friend

14. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

If you've never been on a bike before, stay with 600cc's or less... If you can find a Rebel 250 or something of that nature for pretty cheap, that'd be the easiest thing you could do to get used to it, IMO.

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

:nono:

well, as long as your off your bike :bigthumb:

16. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

I ll go ahead and plug the Virago... Good solid bike, not too expensive, easy to maintain, and very very dependable. Pretty good variety in the power level too (you can find em between 535 and 750). a 750 is right at the edge of waht I d reccommend for a new rider. They also come in 20 and 1100 but a 250 is a glorified scooter and an 1100 is probabyl a bit too much power. Honestly I wouldnt worry about hte age factor... if it has been well maintained, then it will probably last you until you either sell it or have to dump it.

Very pretty bikes too. Heres mine...

[​IMG]

17. devilboy

devilboy New Member

Just got my first bike on Saturday.

2004 H-D Sportster 883XL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taking the MSF BRC the weekend after next in Richmond. Classes are impossible to get into.

18. Nucleartiger

Nucleartiger Clemson makes my nipples hard

I will have to put in a plug for the Virago 750 and kawi Vulcan 750.

My dad has a Virago 750 that I have ridden on occasion and it is a very good bike. It is is well balanced with plenty of power to get a big boy like me (5'11" 270) moving. My Dad started on a Shadow 450 but outgrew it pretty quickly.
    So I would recommend starting on a 500cc-800cc bike personally and definitely take the MSF course if you can.

Like somone else said here already, the best way to gauge the bike is to actually sit on it. I like the Boulevard's look but I hated the feel when I tried to sit on one. The handlebars and seat positioning were just uncomfortable when compared to the Virago and especially to the Vulcan 750 which I personally prefer.

19. Chimborazo

Chimborazo New Member

My first bike was a 1986 Honda Rebel 450 and I only paid $800. Great starter bike and I still have it (although I never ride it). Honda only made the Rebel 450 in '86 and '87.

20. 7960

7960 New Member

The very first motorcycle I ever owned was (is) a harley heritage softail classic. I'd ridden before but didn't own the bike, and probably hadn't put 1,000 miles combined on all the bikes I'd ridden.

I'm a firm believer...buy what you want and learn on it.

21. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

1100 is fun to ride though :wiggle: i love mine ever since i got my license i have been riding it everywhere...poor jeep is getting no love

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I think I've decided on the Vulcan, but maybe just the 498cc model.

[​IMG]

6 speed transmission, lightweight, but out accelerates alot of bigger bikes (within reason). I love the style too...

Thanks for all the great advise guys. Lots of good looking bikes, would like to own them all lol! :big grin:

23. 7960

7960 New Member

vulcan is a nice bike.

you getting new or used?

24. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Used. I can;t get approved for an auto loan (only 18, no credit, short work history, etc) and if i financed through the delaership I'd be looking at like 14% interest rate.

I plan to simply save up my money from each paycheck, hopefully be able to get it in 6 months or so. Signing up for MSF as it's close by, and saving for gear already. I can't wait!

Haven't decided if I want to keep my car. I'm a college student, don't really have any use for a 5 seater family sedan. My GF can use her car is she wants to go out on dates, my bike should be fine for work/school. Will look into getting rain/cold gear when the weather gets nasty. Down here in Texas, very rarely is it too angerous to ride a bike, hardly ever ices over.

25. machine81

machine81 New Member

If you know you have the money it might not be a bad idea to use this purchase to build some credit. I don't know your situation, but it's something to look into. Don't pay a ton of interest just to build credit. Basically put something on credit and then instantly pay it off.