crossover jumper and headunit treble... what should it be?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, May 20, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Speakers: MB Quart PCE216, externally powered
    Headunit Older JVC mp3 deck (only 8 chars on screen at a time)
    HU Settings: Bass +3, Treble +2, Fade R1
    Xover settings -6.0db (lowest)

Now my questions is, will it sound better if I turn the xover to -3.0 and turn HU treble to -1?
    xover point is 2500hz and I Have no idea what freq's the treble on the HU does.

Im THINKING it will sound better that way because the treble on the deck is probably higher than 2500, so im having those freq's lower.... and im also thinking the amp would clip a little less at high volumes, if its pushing a signal so much, then the xover dumps 6db off of it... maybe im thinking of it wrong, someone let me know

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

We're not in your car.. that's for you to decide. Change the crossover and see what you like. It's your system. As long as you're happy with it then it's set right.

Those speakers tend to have a lot of highs. But as you listen people often get used to it and prefer it and when taken away they often sound dull. It's really all your preference. Your music type and your ears.

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah I know its up to me, but is it normal for xover to be -6? I know they are quite bright but they sound awesome.... what does HU treble usually boost? What freq's?

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

On MB Quarts having the crossover to the tweeter is very commonly set to low.

And I have no idea what your head unit does. I'd e-mail the manufacturer if you can find it in your manual.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i've got my orions at -6dB. they would be way to harsh if i set them at -3

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah lots of car components are really fuckin harsh, a sharp decline in treble can only be expected :dunno:

7. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

If you truly care about your sound, and can truly tune correctly, then NEVER use treble/ bass on a HU... keep them @zero.

If you have problems... get an EQ ;)

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah I know to keep em at 0 and thats what Id prefer to do, but this is all I got for now... What I think I may do is turn the front speaker amp gain down a little, put the xover to -4.5 and leave deck treble at 0, and hope that turning down the gain on the front will keep the sub up loud enough I can decrease the bass on it a little... But it does sound good right now, im afraid to "tune" it too much and make it sound worse... do you think what I suggested could work? Would treble +6 be less sharp than changing the xover to 0... or even -3?

9. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I run a Boston Pro 6.5 set...my experience is that even with the tweet at -6 it can still be a bit overpowering, though not harsh. (though if it were in the kick with the mid it wouldn't be). As far as being harsh, my experience is that they get that way *very* quickly in response to dirty power. If I jack around with the eq (I listen flat, pretty much all the time) they get nasty in a big hurry.

If I just throw more volume at them, either from the head or getting more agressive with my amp gain, nothing..they just go from loud to holy-fing-loud. And this is with a head that has a significantly better EQ/proc. than yours (Clarion 9675).

Its probably clipping (on one or more item). I'm down a sub ATM (one is out for repair) so I've found myself wanting to drive the remaining one harder and have, on a couple of occasions, driven my amp into clipping by hitting the sub too hard....but you don't hear it in the sub, you hear it in the tweets. The same may be true for you...either with your amp being overworked (the highs will suffer more audibly, more quickly than anything else if you have a revealing component set). Or you could be clipping the output before it even gets there (since you're running the bass up at the head too).

My advice is to try, for the sake of argument, running everything flat (and the crossovers at -6?) and seeing where you stand. If they're still harsh at moderate volumes, it could be that's just the nature of your system now and something needs changed up....not sure :hs: Obviously some component sets are brigher than others...but some amps too..and some heads. I don't have personal experience with yours so I can't really say. I paired my set with a head and amp that are generally considered to be pretty smooth and flat (since the pros are oft considered too bright for their own good).

My eventual solution to my over zealous highs may be to biamp.... not sure there yet either.

*edited for clarity*

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  10. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

You think I would get better sound out of a better deck... I dont know the exact model nuymber but its a jvc and 890... google brought this up:
    [​IMG] and thats the one... 2v preout? damn... I thought they were 3.3's :(

Higher preout means less gain (needed) right?

EDIT: Looks like kd s890

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Oh and my system doesnt sound as good with everything flat on the HU... if I could get my sub up louder without turning the bass up (sub out would be nice :() because I dont want the gain any higher (its like 10% away from max...)

EDIT: And ive got new good rca cables too... seemed to help a little for sound quality up front... didnt make a diff to the sub

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

and for those that don't live in a car audio bubble, then set it where it sounds good for you!

13. eighteen_psi

A really good head or processor can handle some tweaking....anything else pretty much just destroys your sound. People say this for a reason. If you want to tweak, generally you go down, not up too....going up does nothing but clip the signal in most cases. Of course...if you're already up high on volume or gain that wont' be a great solution either.

That means you need stronger preouts or a more powerful amp :noes:

This is especially true in the context of this thread - a clipped signal is almost certainly what's being heard...either from the amp or the HU...or both.

14. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

The context of this thread is about hearing a clipped signal? :ugh: I thought it was mostly about where to configure my treble... the reason I boost bass treble is because I cant decrease mid... and mid is what I have alot of... if I set it all flat it sounds much too mid-dy. im gonna try setting xover up one to -4.5 and turning the treble down by 1 on the hu and see what happens.....

15. eighteen_psi

I'm not saying there's something wrong with jacking around with your eq in the sense that its 'impure' or some other bullshit audio nazi thing...I'm saying that its quite possible having an EQ boosting the signal, especially if its not a spectacular one, especially with a weak preout on an amp already gain'd up pretty heavily...yes. Something very well may be clipping :hsd: Its what causes the same (or similar) effect in my system.

If you can't cut the mid, the boosting the others is the best solution (obviously)..I'm just not saying its good. And there may not be a way to fix this problem with the gear you have. You've just gotta experiment.

16. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

thats where i was going. but a flat audio signal that scores a 40 on the RTA may not sound great to the guy driving down the interstate

17. eighteen_psi

:werd: