A&P Crossed over to the flashy side...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Heinzanova, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

:noes:

simply because of the horrible pun in subject line.

Picked up my first speed light, got a SB-600 tonight. So far only have fired it a little on the camera and with the wireless mode. I still need to figure out what these actual settings do..

Any suggestions on little scenarios to set up to learn ( ibstrobistblogspot ) some typical/edge case examples?

I also got a diffuser recommended by the camera shop guy... anyone ever use one of these? I played a little with it with my gf and it seems to work pretty damn well. Any idea wtf the white piece is at the top that can either be Velcro down or left lose/pulled back?

(pic of said diffuser)

[​IMG]

and of course mandatory gf pic for OT.

[​IMG]

2. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

this is completely unrelated to your thread, but is that shot in your avatar from a sex store in Munich, Germany? :hsughno:

and to your topic... the SB-600 is a pretty sweet flash. That's the one i've got.

Just get to learn how to adjust the power and stuff on the flash, as some situations you'll be blowing shit out if you leave it at full power.

That being said, i'm still learning and should probably read the manual (I've had it for like 6 months :o )

3. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

you can only turn the ready beep off when its in wireless mode. just a tip haha, I hate that beep when I am not alone

4. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Watch the Strobist DVD and the One Light video...those are sweet learning tools.

5. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

Is strobist DVD an actual production dvd or a underground internet circulated dvd ( :x: link )

6. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

I think it's an actual production DVD. I downloaded it from someone on here, I forget who

7. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

Actually the picture in my avatar is a sex show venue in Amsterdam. I am sort of a tourist that way (let you read between the lines on that one).

Yeah I went there just to feel the 600/800/900 and the guy at the store pretty much said get the 600, and when I am ready/need the commander features of the 800 or 900, that will be the one I can buy. So I appreciate him not trying to sell me into something I don't need (yet).

Amazingly more powerful than the factory flash... although I never used the factory flash, I hunted natural light or would just jack the iso, unfortunately the D80 does not look the best past 800 iso, but I would rather have grain at 1600 and get it than miss the shot.

When the flash is on the camera (I know me = newb) and it is talking via the TTL it works like a charm, dial it up or down on the camera and the flash listens and it works perfectly if I don't much with the controls. During the non TTL working, when I am using it via IR it gets a little tricky. I have not actually figured out wtf I am doing other than actually getting it firing with wireless... guess I will have to RTFM(unless you want to cliff note it for me) for changing the power level in wireless mode. It appears the flash exposure adjustment on the camera when in wireless only affects the built in flash and not the SB-600...

What is this M 1/1 and M1/2 etc that I have scrolled thru & what is the corrilation to MM (zoom I guess) it is registering on the screen? Does that value map out to a power level? I mean zooming does not always mean you are farther away / need more power.

Turkey do you have flickr? I did not see you in the flickr thread ( http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?p=107518171&posted=1#post107518171 )?

8. Bloke

Bloke Banned

does flash bracket mode work in wireless? when it comes to off camera flash i dont have much practice...

9. CRC

CRC New Member

:rofl: @ shitty diffusers

10. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

I dunno guy at camera shop showed me some other diffusers and said he actually prefers this one because it is virtually indestructible and the performance is the same. He said I could buy a more expensive solid plastic one, but if it gets a crack I am SOL.

11. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

1/1, 1/2, etc. is the manual flash power. 1/1 is full power, 1/2 is half power, 1/4 is quarter power, etc. You can also do wireless TTL with your D80's built-in flash acting as a commander.