Crontab? Solaris patching question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Feb 4, 2009.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Hey Crontab (or any other Solaris admins in the C&P), we patched a system with the recommended patch bundle. Now, we have an app that cores on start. We see which libraries it is using and that they've been updated. Do you know an easy way of determining which patches updated specific files? I want to figure out which patches we need to look at and possibly back out.

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Hmm, I've never done this and I can't seem to find any good info.

If you know the files, you can

pkgchk -l -p <path to file>

This will list the package that references that file.

Then you can go into "/var/sadm/pkg/<SUNW.....>/save" to see what patches were applied for that patch. That patch should be dated the same day of the install.

I would double check to see what is change with that patch on sunsolve.

then do a patchrm to backout.

Not sure if that would work, but that's my educated guess. You could always open up a case and hope to get someone good.

Funny, because we just patched old solaris 8 machines the blew vxvm the fuck up. Couldn't boot. Just finished fixing them. As I said in the main IT thread. I hate old machines.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

The guy who works for me called Sun instead. Turns out to be a fucking kernel patch and his words were, "you can try to remove this patch, but there's a good chance it'll corrupt the whole system." Lol. fucking shit.

We're using some stupid software that is fucked when we install a Solaris kernel patch. How great is that?