crontab owns me :wtc:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Saicho, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Saicho

Saicho New Member

I'm trying to use crontab on a school web development server using AIX OS and for the life of me I can't get this to work.

I've used crontab before and I think it's a huge pos since it doesn't load any environment variables and what not.

I'm trying to run a php script I made (tested and works calling it manually that does some web crawling and sends me a few emails). But when I try to call it via crontab, not only does it not work, but it doesn't even create a log file so I have nfi what is going on. I don't know where the cron logs are located and I doubt I have access to them anyway.

I'm using the full path names in the command:

Code:
    /usr/local/bin/php /fullpathtoscript/script.php > /fullpathtoscript/cron.log
    Doesn't work, but same command works via command line. I know this has to be some stupid enviroment/path issue but the script uses full paths as well, and I'm even having problems running a php script that does a simple echo, and worst of all I have no idea how to see what's going wrong with the crontab. I have nfi what is going on here, can anyone de-noobify me?

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Last I checked crontab did all it's logging to the syslog, have you looked there for errors, warnings or something that will point you in the right direction?? I'm pretty sure crontab loads the env variables for what ever user it's running your job as ... unless AIX's implementation of crontab is totally different somehow ...

3. Saicho

Saicho New Member

where can I find these syslogs?

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Depends on your syslogd.conf setup, check /var/log/syslog ... you'll need read access ...

5. Saicho

Saicho New Member

*sigh* no read access:rl::rl:

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I > *

You can source your environment within the same command in the cron job

* * * * * . /path/of/the/.source.env;/usr/bin/command /path/of/conf/whatever > /path/of/output 2>&1

the cron log is in /var/adm/cron/log for aix