MMA CroCop's next opponent

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by RMarks, Feb 16, 2007.

1. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Gabriel Gonzaga.

LUDLOW - From the outside, the little storefront on East Street that houses the Marco Alvan Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy looks like any other martial arts school. Inside, however, Alvan is helping his top protg and childhood friend from Brazil train for the biggest fight of his Ultimate Fighting Championship career. Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga, who moved to Ludlow last summer from Rio de Janeiro, is 3-0 on the UFC's pay-per-view events and holds a 7-1 overall mixed martial arts record.

That recent string of success has led to Gonzaga, 27, taking on his toughest challenge to date. On April 21 in Manchester, England, he will face one of the most feared fighters in the world - Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic - in the main event of "UFC 70."

"That's the most important commitment of my life," Gonzaga said through Alvan, his trainer and interpreter. "Everybody knows (Filipovic) is the No.1 fighter in the world at the moment."

Filipovic, a former anti-terrorism commando in the Croatian special police, has built a reputation in the mixed martial arts community for his devastating knockout power. He is especially proficient at ending fights with his high left-leg kicks to the head.

With his penchant for putting opponents to sleep quickly, Filipovic is UFC's version of Mike Tyson, circa 1986.
    In order to play the Buster Douglas role, Gonzaga will have to take Filipovic off his feet and look to end the fight with one of his array of Brazilian jiu jitsu submission holds.

"I know what I'm going to do to win this fight," Gonzaga said. "I think he has enough skills on the ground, but he's a dangerous stand-up fighter."

Gonzaga's most recent outing inside the Octagon opened the eyes of UFC matchmakers. At "UFC 66" Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, Gonzaga showed all facets of his fighting style in a first-round victory over Carmelo Marrero.

Taken from: http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/117150360445540.xml&coll=1

2. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Sucks for him.

3. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

"right leg, hospital. left leg, graveyard"

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

5. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

umm Werdum TKO'd this guy with punches. were talking about Werdum here of all people, a grappler... what makes him think he can win against Mirko?

6. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Obviously Fedor is the best heavyweight. However, in the UFC Mirko is the best. I think this is a really interesting use of a 4 fight deal.

1st: jobber, clearly nobody expected sanchez to win. In fact after watching inside the UFC with Dana White, it was clear that White set that shit up.
    2nd: Slightly harder opponent, but still, no real chance for Gonzaga
    3rd: Hes gonna fight someone whos pretty tough, Id be interested to see an Arlovski fight here
    4th: Title shot, if he wins, new contract, if not he evaluates his options.

7. CRaiNK

CRaiNK ЧЕМПИОН

best quot ever

8. Kuet

Kuet New Member

its a six fight contract.
    id say if mirko wins in dominant fashion his next fight againt this guy, title shot.
    After hopefully sending tim to the hospital, ( with non-life threatening injuries ) if all goes well for AA then mirko's first title defence will be against him, making it a huge draw, by now cro cop will be ultra popular, and AA already is very well known and liked.... :naughty:
    hopefully,:x: i pray, the rumors sakiba. was talking about-the pride vs. ufc superbowl thing will happen and one of his last 2 fights will be against fedor (i kno im dreaming )

9. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

That's how I see it going in the UFC... Not sure about a match with Fedor though... I see that going the way of the much anticipated Silva/Liddell fight...

10. tenmeikanoh

tenmeikanoh New Member

Gonzaga should have a lot trouble getting him down, but if he can, we'll have a fight. He'll probably eat too many punches or knees in the clinch.

11. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Ah well... unless he crumples, which is doubtful, his 3rd or fourth fight will be a title shot.

12. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

i think Crocop should get a title shot on his 3rd fight...rampage on his 4th

13. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

Rampage won't last that long in the ufc cuz he's a ignant mofo. I have a gut feeling that he's not going to re-sign after his next fight.

14. furst

furst THE BOWRD OT Supporter

Why wouldn't he re-sign? He was completely stunned by UFC during his last fight... only thing is that he was pissed about the boos.

15. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Its risky bringing in outside, already established talent. Dana has to build him up to the new fan base, but at the same time not give him too many fights and risk an injury or even a loss. Id say 3 is the magic number for high paid outside talent (mirko and page).

16. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

I think I saw a Dana White interview where he said directly or implied that one more fight then a title shot. could be wrong tho.

17. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

He's always talked trash about the UFC in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if he walked. Who knows. I hope he stays.

18. xinster

xinster New Member

imagine if crocop became champ and fedor was still champ. that could be the one event to bring pride and the ufc to clash

19. furst

After the Sanchez fight, Dana specifically said there was going to be one more fight for CroCop before he gets a title shot.

20. furst

I don't think right now is a good time for anyone to burn their bridge to the UFC.

21. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

In regards to your AV.. I hate eric the midget. But that fly with ballons song is catchy.

22. Kuet

Kuet New Member

:ugh: everyone already loves rampage-just cause you dont like him b/c hes way to ghetto for your educatued asian ass right?? gimme a break. I noticed you flaming him after ufc 67 too.