A&P Critique one of my jobs

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dmora, Mar 24, 2005.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

2. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

w00t w00t

3. mojito

mojito New Member

not to shabby, a few need some white balance work - a little too tungsteny, and just as a personal taste find that red border awful on the pictures themselves. Good job overall

4. sony

sony Active Member

The WB is the only thing that kind of bothers me (and the way the site loads, but that is really subjective). I think the WB is an issue that you should definitely fix though. The cropping and everything looks fine. Theres some distortion, which isn't too bad. If you can find a program to fix it PTlens?? that'd probably be better, but not a big deal.

(from left to right top to bottom)
    in #5, the cups on the bottom right bother me a lot. :o

When you get your 12-24 it should help with cutting some of the stuff. Looks like you were really cramped in there.

Good work though. :bigok:

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I think they look great!

6. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

I don't see any WB issue. Shot #5 is bordering on being too cold if anything, and doesn't seem to be as well lit as the other shots. A warm inviting look is what you'd be after, tungsten IS a warm light so your shots should have a hint of warmth but without ODing on it. Nothing worse than an indoor shot that just looks orange everywhere.

The main trick with WB is to make sure all your indoor photos and all your outdoor photos look consistent. I notice some of the indoors are warmer than others, you should probably try and avoid that - UNLESS it's a mixture of sunlight and artificial light in which case the sunlight should be rendered neutral and the tungsten left a touch warm.

As far as composition goes the main thing I don't like is that the photos do seem cramped, they don't convey a sense of space or perspective and they're just of various parts of the house - which is no doubt what they've asked you to do, so my "artistic" comments are probably misplaced on a "pro" shoot. But you can still make it look great without turning it into a wank job, it's just more challenging! :rofl:

I reckon the 12-24 will help you though.. if you can't stand further back that is :)

7. dmora

dmora Guest

I didnt do the site... just the pix.

Any tips on fixing the WB?

8. dmora

dmora Guest

yea it was cramped with the 18-70.

9. sony

sony Active Member

Shooting raw? You can adjust the colors in photoshop Image>Adjustments>Color balance (ctrl+b) or if you're shooting raw eyedrop white. Or you can use the pringles lid trick where you set your custom white balance with a pringls lid (the opaque ones, not the clear ones) over your lens pointed at the light source.

It works.

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Good job Daniel. A swing/tilt lens would really come in handy on the interior shots to fix the converging walls but that's an expensive fix for a minor problem. You also might want to try bouncing a flash off a white foam core or poster board placed behind the camera. It will add a little more fill.

11. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

I like the pics, though I would like to see many of them with a higher - downward-looking - viewpoint -- It can make the spaces seen in the pictures appear larger without making things in the frame look large. The 12-24mm lens will probably help with this as well.

Look into getting a couple of SB-800s for quickly deployable lights that you can use for fill when moving between locations. You can trigger them using the D70's built in flash with i-TTL or keep one on camera for full commander mode settings.

Monolights or powerpack strobes will probably be too bulky and a pain to set up quickly when you have to move between spots for all the shots.

12. dmora

dmora Guest

For that particular job, i did not know the joy of Raw. :o

13. dmora

dmora Guest

More SB 800s? :wtc: I already have one. I've learned how to use it wirelessly and it has helped.

I like Jim's idea of using a foam core.
    Cheap = win!

14. sony

sony Active Member

foam boards and more sb800s.. = even more win :noes:

15. hash browns

if you need more than one light source or need to filll in a few areas -- that's where having a full i-ttl CLS system with a bunch of SB-800 rocks.

16. mojito

mojito New Member

or get one sb-800 and a bunch of el cheepo flashes and a peanut slave

17. hash browns

You kind of lose the advantages of CLS doing it that way :noes:

18. mojito

mojito New Member

but its a lot cheeper, and you add a lot of light.

Back to the WB
    If its a real job that you care a lot about and want to do it right, go before hand and check out every light, and replace them for the shoot with a daylight balanced one or atleast so that they're all the same color temperature. For lights that are covered, you can get filters or gels that go over the light source to color correct that way

19. dmora

dmora Guest

:noes: dont think the restraunt would like my messing with lights.