Critique my workout + diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by MidChaos, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidChaos

MidChaos New Member

Fitness newb here, only been working out for a couple of months. I read through some of the archives here (the bulking guide for newbies was especially helpful), but I'd like some advice on my diet and training regimine. I seem to be gaining strength very slowly, so I wanted to know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Meals (I try to eat every two hours)

9am: Bowl of oatmeal + protein shake

12pm: Two lean turkey breast deli sandwiches on whitebread + apple

2pm: Two lean turkey breast deli sandwiches on whitebread + apple (I'm stuck at school for most of the day so thats why the repeat. )

4pm: Can of waterpacked tuna on pasta + banana

6pm: Bowl of oatmeal + apple

8pm: Tuna Sandwich + apple

10pm: Post workout whey protein shake

Supplements: GNC MegaMen multivitamin + Calcium

I don't have alot of variety in my meals because I don't have alot of time to cook (work + school) so I just buy tuna and deli turkey breast slices in bulk from Costco and use that for most of my protein. I eat oatmeal twice a day for the fiber. I also drink water exclusively (even with meals).

Training:

Mon: Chest/Triceps

Bench Press 3 sets of 8
    Decline Bench: 3x8
    Skull crushers 3x10
    Close grip bench press 3x10
    150 crunches (in between sets)

Wed: Back/Biceps

Bent-over rows: 3x8
    Prone dumbell rows: 3x8
    Dumbell pullovers: 3x8
    Standing curls: 2x8
    Seated curls 3x8 / Dumbell Curls 3x8
    Reverse grip seated curls 1x15 (lightweight, mostly for forearms)

Fri: Shoulders/Traps

Upright Rows: 3x8
    Front Plate raise: 3x8
    Military Press 1x8
    Barbell Shrugs: 3x10
    Static Shrugs (30 secs)

(I also do ab work on my days off)

I workout at home currently with freeweights, but have joined a gym so I could add more excercises then I can currently do with my limited equipment (especially squats and deadlifts). I can't even do incline bench now because my bench is messed up.

Progress: 145lbs when I started and now at 161 (though I think alot of that is fat)

EDIT: Is it alright to do some cardio while I'm trying to bulk? Reason I ask is because I like playing basketball at the gym, not for cardio, but for fun.

2. iCe

iCe Active Member

404 legs not found

3. MidChaos

MidChaos New Member

I know, I will start doing legs when I get into the gym. My current equipment doesn't do much for legs. I know how stupid is it to have a built upper body and chicken legs. Probably add them to shoulder/traps day.

4. terse

terse New Member

change whitebread to wheatbread. so you eat 4 apples a day? instead of another sandwich at 2pm, try some hard-boiled eggs as an alternative. some cardio while bulking is fine.

5. MidChaos

MidChaos New Member

Yeah, I buy the big bag of apples at Costco too. They round out a meal pretty well, and have some fiber. What are the benefits of wheat over white bread? I can't change the sandwich at 2pm because I pack the sandwiches before I leave in the morning and am stuck at school for a while. Besides, I hate eggs, the mere smell of em is enough to turn my stomach. I might be able to pack a chicken breast or two though, if I can find the time to make those.

6. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

not enough protein

7. MidChaos

MidChaos New Member

I'm getting at least 170grams a day (I count daily). I aim for 200 a day. Most of it is from the two shakes a day, but I try to get as much as I can from my meals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.