Critique my upper body-only split (got an injured leg)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Larry Lex, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Lex

Larry Lex New Member

So last week I dropped my bike and scraped up/bruised my knee, thigh, and hip pretty badly...Since I train in a mostly sports conditioning + oly lifting + plyometrics style, I haven't been able to workout for the past few days and being out of the gym has me going crazy. My buddy has suggested that I go in and just work the upper body, focus on gaining size and strength. Something like this:

Day 1: Chest and Biceps
    Day 2: Back and Triceps
    Day 3: Delts and Traps

-Rest one day, then repeat.

For each muscle group I plan on going heavy for one exercise using a 5x5 rep scheme, and then adding two more auxiliary lifts in 2x10. Yeah I know it looks shoddy but I'm just trying to get my iron fix in... I was in Venice Beach, CA over the weekend and ran into some world's strongest man competitors and those fuckers got me motivated to build some size and strength (especially Mariusz Pudnianowski, the guy took up half the elevator). Yeah they workout in the strongman style but still, motivation is motivation. Thoughts?

2. djshakes

djshakes Droppin a Deuce

If you are going to double up muscle groups, I would recommend this.

1. Chest and Tri's
    2. Back and Bi's
    3. Shoulders and traps.

Reason being. You are on a three day rotation. You said you are going heavy. Your body needs time to heal. The muscle groups above are bundled by type of muscle. Pushing or Pulling. You work your tri's when you do chest. You work you Bi's when you do back, etc. You get the maxim workout for both muscle groups. Then, you give them time to heal. If you do Bi's then the next day do back, you are still partially working your bi's and not allowing them to heal. Three day rotation is fast turn around and I would suggest maybe throwing in a day of abs to allow an extra day of healing for your upper body.

3. Larry Lex

Larry Lex New Member

Roger that, homey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.