Critique my summer upgrades...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 127.0.0.1, May 15, 2005.

1. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

Right now I am running a 2500 Barton at 2.2-2.4ghz (depending on my mood), with 1gb of pc3200 LL corsair XMS, epox 8rda3+, and a TI4200 albatron turbo (highly overclocked)

my thoughts are definitely with an AMD 939 setup. But I can't decided if I want to drop the extra cash for the 3700+ san diego with 1mb of L2 cache, or settle with a 3000+ venice with only 512kb for quite a bit less.

other than that, im looking at the NF4 EPoX EP-9NPA+ SLI motherboard, as well as a 6600GT from MSI (PCI-X), and maybe get another one later this year to run dual cards.

other than that, I think i might sell my two 512mb sticks of corsair, and get a single 1gb, that way if I want another gig, i only have to buy one stick. I also want to get a 250gb hdd for all my backup. i hate running a 120gb sata for my OS, and an 80gb IDE for backup. it is such a pain in the ass. so I might just get rid of the 80, and run the 120 and 250 both with SATA

but I would probably sell off all of this stuff. i really do not have the room to run two boxes at the same time, nor do I have a use for it.

oh, and I want a 21" dell trinitron. my 17" sucks really bad. i also refuse to buy an LCD.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would recommend against the epox... Had many bad experiences with them.

As for the memory, do NOT run 1 stick. you MUST run sticks in pairs for optimal performance. Get rid of what you have now, and get some Corsair XMS. Highly worth it.

trinitrons are lame.... Why do you refuse to buy an lcd? they have <8ms response times, ya know.

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

:ugh: he has corsair XMS

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

indeed

5. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

...Not at any decent brightness levels. Panels are all but useless for playing FPS games or video because of the blurring. While 8ms is quite good, it still pales compared with the immediate response, brightness and FOV of a CRT. I'm sure one of the new display technologies will get us there soon, but that hasn't happened yet. The only reason LCDs are taking off now is because OEMs have decided they are now good enough (and they probably are) for the avg consumer. FD trinitron screens are not lame, but they are expensive. For someone who seems knowledgeable, you sure are opinionated.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, I have a 16ms panel that is 800:1 contrast, and it is BRIGHTER than any other CRT I've used. And there's no noticable "blur" while gaming. Sure a CRT has an even faster response, but there is a point where the human eye can't detect a difference -- 8ms is there.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Listen up... I have bought, broken, or thrown away more gear than you can dream of. But if you don't believe me, then go to the pros... the trinitron is simply not the best design... Google, my friend.

8. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I like trinitrons, I have never had a bad experience, and im not a fucking pussy that cant lift a 70lb monitor. that and I have a ton of desk space, most of which I do not need. and for the games I play, even the best LCDs i have played on will tend to ghost. something i will not put up with if im spending a few hundred dollars on a monitor. I can get two 21" trinitrons for the price of one 17" LCD that isnt even that high quality. so what the fuck is the point? (based on what I have said)

anyway. Epox is the only board I buy, My brother has been through Asus, and abit, I have been through MSI, and neither one of us have EVER had a single problem with epox motherboards. plus they are > * for overclocking. You need to bring up hard facts about how they are not as good of a product. The MSI boards are known to have southbridges that fail even when you do not do serious overclocking (which they cant do anyway). Asus boards are known to have terrible bios options as well as shitty USB setups. And Abit boards have bad layouts, shitty driver support, and general shitty-lanboy support because of rediculous options they try to include. (DFI is the same way).

On the other hand, Epox boards overclock wonderfully, have very simple bios setups but still have all of the options you would ever need, have frequent bios updates, and are quick to fix any bios problems. A good portion of the computers I build for my customers use epox motherboards too, none of which have had problems that are motherboard based.

And dual channel ram is a big fucking hype. you will see more of a difference from running a few extra FSB, or 2-2-2-5 timings instead. And I am planning on buying another 1gb stick later on, but dont want to spend almost a thousand dollars for the upgrade. And corsair XMS ram is wonderful, yet another product I have never had problems with, and it will take any and all overclocking I throw at it. Try to give some real information other than, "i just dont like it"

9. R-Type

Again, more arrogance whenever someone dares to contradict your point of view. If you want me to even consider what you said, check your ego in at the door. I am interested in fact, not opinionated blustering, so if you're going to make outlandish claims with inflaming language, the least you could do is back 'em up. I'm not going to do your research for you. Contrary to your assumption, I HAVE experience with these things. In my opinion (which, like yours, is subjective), they produce the best picture. Are they a lot more expensive and have more technical reliability issues statistically than some other brands? Yes. Never did I say they were the cornucopia of CRT design.

As far as the panels go, perhaps you either don't see it, or don't mind it, but my eyes can and I find it distracting. I also find the limited FOV to be annoying as it creates color and brightness variations as one moves his focus from the center of the display. I'll tolerate it on a laptop screen, but not when I need to spend hours in front of a machine every day. I'm not going to get into yet another debate over the (in)famous humans-cant-see-more-than-30fps arguement either. Ask any big time FPS gamer and he'll tell you that he can notices differences in framerate far above 30fps.. There's a reason the 'pros' still use CRTs. EVERY panel I've seen, from the POS ones at compUSA to the expensive, exotic ones, blur like hell when displaying fast changing scenes.

10. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

Having a refresh rate of under 75hz really bugs me too. the darker the screen the worse it is. (CRT that is).

humans CAN see this stuff, most of them just dont notice, or dont care.

just like some audiophiles can hear differences in sound more than a normal consumer. but that is a different story.

11. R-Type

Interesting. For me, brighter images cause me to become more sensitive to refresh rate at higher frequencies (85hz+). At lower rates, it's universally annoying. Maybe it has to do with the individual monitor and how close it is to dying. Generally I dont run anything less than 85hz. 100-120hz is optimal of course :), but not always possible. Much less eyestrain at those rates, and quake looks a lot smoother too, for obvious reasons.

Of course my all time personal 'favorite' is the heterodyne effect from a monitor at 70-80hz in a room lit with 60hz flourescents. I get a headache almost instantly from that.

12. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I can stand most monitors (you can tell they are close to dying very easily) that are running 75hz, but I refuse to run a low resolution. The trinitron should run 1600x1200 at 75 or 80hz, which will be just great for me.

I refuse to sit in a lot of computer labs at my school because they use flourescent lighting. the CS labs all use incandescent lighting though (funny how that works)