WEB Critique my site

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CodeX, Sep 10, 2007.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

This site is meant to be a place where I can show off my work to potential employers, sort of like a portfolio. The work I am showing off is NOT website design skills, but rather programming skills, so keep that in mind. I still want it to look good and professional enough to be taken seriously though.

www.codeXtreme.net

OH, one more thing, I haven't changed it yet but if you click on games it will take you to http://www.codextreme.net/games.html Instead type in http://www.codextreme.net/games2.html... add 2 after games. I am thinking about replacing the page with that one. Let me know what you think about that

2. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

the domain name doesnt sound professional at all. but if you're showing off code for games, its probably applicable.

3. projectalpha

projectalpha 二號 Stunna

I wouldn't link to your mysapce.

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

yeah lol, I'll remove that

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I don't think it's very professional.

1. Design
    Your header image doesn't look very professional. It looks like someone ran text through a few Eye Candy filters in Photoshop and saved the image. It'll be a bit more cleaner to be considered professional in my opinion.

2. MySpace
    Remove the myspace link.

3. Links page
    I'd keep all programming related links on the page, and remove all non-programming related links. Afterall, your website is about programming, right?

4. Software Page
    Good layout. Seems good enough. :dunno:

5. Games
    Are these games you've developed? Perhaps you can combine both your Software page and Games page and create an index of all the projects you've worked on. Why divide projects you work on in two different places in your main navigation? If you're going to divide them, don't divide them in the navigation. Create a "projects" or "development" page and categorize the content from there.

6. Bio page
    Bio could be more of a chance to show off your resume. Nobody really wants to know about your youth or life story. Not to mention, if you're showing this website off to an employer, I doubt you'd want them to see things like "lol", and then see pictures of a car accident.

7. Homepage
    Homepage seems good enough. I'd re-write a lot of your content in attempt to keep it at a professional level.

8. Remove the counter.

9. Is it possible to remove the advertisements on the bottom of the page? If so, do so.

10. Domain name could probably use some re-thinking. Doesn't sound very professional. Reminds me of x-games for nerds or something. Also noted that when you browse to different pages it appears under the freewebs domain.

6. i agree. in terms of the overall design, i would still give it a facelift. even though you are a programmer, most people will usually close the page on a bad design. since you are showing off just programming skills, you can hire a designer to design one for you? :dunno:

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Yeah Ill remove the link to myspace, revise the bio page, and remove the picture gallery. Right now this is my personal homepage, but I am going be graduating this semester and want to revise the site to use as a portfolio.

I am also going to combine my games page and software page into one general projects page. From there I plan to have a short description on the left, a single screenshot on the right, and a link to a dedicated page for that project with more details about each one.

So I kind of expected those things, what about the design of the site, color scheme, layout, etc?

8. well if this is your personal site, that's fine. you should definitely consider designing and coding a seperate site for your portfolio though. colors are fine to me, as long as it's not red or yellow on black :o

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

you know what would be good for you is probably a free XHTML template. Browse the web for a couple of professional looking ones. They're free, look good, and most of the design is done through CSS so you won't really have to worry shot images abd shit. Then modify your pages to reflect the way you want to layout content.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I have a few. Shoot me a pm tomorrow and i'll see what I can dig up. :wavey:

11. 420am

420am OT Supporter

Sitting home sick and bored figured I'd play with some text effects.. do with it what you want.

[​IMG]