MMA Critique my rolling v.nogi

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by rtzcom, Dec 6, 2009.

1. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

[y]yf757-azyko[/y]

so I'm finally able to take vids of my rolls for review. For this one help me out finish my triangles when my legs are stuck and I can't lock them in correctly. This happens a lot when I'm fighting guys with big shoulders. I tapped my teammate out with a boltlock or Bermuda triangle or whatever the fuck it's called

2. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

theres alot of different solutions from there.
    -underhook the arm thats not in the triangle to help you cut the angle deeper. (plus it offers you a better chance of taking that armbar)
    -plant your hand(s) and shimmy/scoot your butt back so that your opponent is off his knees and flat on his belly and still stuck in your triangle.
    -switch/reverse the triangle like you did at the end (from your proper triangle, both hands pulling on his head to keep him in the triangle, open triangle, throw your leg over the back of his neck, take one hand off of his head and grab your shin to adjust the triangle, lock it up, and finish)

3. rtzcom

Thank you sir

4. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

you are skinny.

on the first triangle attempt - hip out to your right side. If you need to unhook your left leg to hip out further and better control his head/leg - do so. If you unhook the one leg - you can readjust your base out to your right while maintaining control of his head/neck with your right leg and keeping his arm trapped with your left

5. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

Your triangle isnt closing cause your hips are goin the wrong way. You should put your face in line with your knee not the lock.

6. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

it also helps to not roll with fat people.

fatjitsu = :down:

7. geekboy

geekboy Target Agent OT Supporter

especially fat people with no neck :o

8. rtzcom

Great tip. Thanks Ben

Jeff, I kinda realized that I've been fucking myself over by keeping my legs locked once I get them there. It doesn't allow me any hip movement at all. Oh well fucking noon habit. Thanks for the tip...and yes you are pudgy.

9. rtzcom

No choice homey...everyone in that gym has atleast 30 or more lbs on me.

10. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

you gotta stay real tight tho when you open up that triangle. especially with these larger folks. :hs:

11. rtzcom

I try make sure that my balls smells extra nice whenever i roll. For some reason it keeps them in my triangle longer :sexy:

12. urbantiger

urbantiger Hardcore Lurker

Do you have mats in your house? That looks like a bedroom

13. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

I dont think that dude in the video [Ming] is fat. Definitely not too big to triangle type of fat. I have seen Bon triangle bigger people than that.

14. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Okay, this might seem cruel, but its cruel so you can improve your game.

-Firstly, you pulling butterfly guard was extremely woeful, if you tried it against anyone half decent you would have gotten passed.

-When you scotted out on butterfly guard at 15 seconds that was a good idea, but you didn't go for the underhook. I don't know if you didn't think you could get it or whatever, but you gotta try for it because you had a good angle with your hips and that underhook would have opened up a lot of options for you.

-The fat guy sucks, that was the most retarded pass I have ever seen at 23 seconds. Even though it looks like he had passed your legs there, he still turned his back to you and you gotta secure something like over under or under under grips from the back. If he is that stupid to turn your back to you, you have to capitalize.

- I am pretty sure he gave you the escape from scalf

- Your side control is weak, as a small guy you really need firstly move, I know he had you in a retarded guilotine but you gotta get out of it. What I would have done from there is gone to a knee ride to break the guilotine grip. as soon as he lets go of his guilo he is going to try and get you back into his guard (if he has half a clue). So you are gonna have to spin around to north south (which is a great spot to keep big guys down from) or to side control on the other side. OR if you have a good side control hold you can pretty much stay where you are as long as you keep in mind he is trying to get you back into guard.

Also from your position to keep him flat on his back at the 39 second mark is put your right arm inbetween his legs and lift his right leg to the sky.

- lol at fatty going for guilo at 51 seconds from that position, don't worry about getting the choke off, he wont get the choke from there if you are smart with your neck. You are better of using your arms to secure double underhooks from your butterfly guard and try working sweeps.

- you telegraphed the absolute fuck out of your hip bump sweeps. That shit needs to be sneaky. then you went for a kimura... you really shouldn't have swept him and he shouldn't have give you the sweep there either.

- when you came back down the transition to a triangle was okay.

-when you had the triangle you didn't work once to get his arm across his neck. Seriously thats all you should be concerned about, its much easier also to get your foot into your knee and close the triangle from there as well. Just keep trying to get the arm across his body instead of the other weird shit you were doing.

-your omoplata attempt was loose and your hips were in the entirely wrong position, your lucky he let you come back to a position where you could triangle him, otherwise you would have passed.

- I have no idea what sub you got him with, but seriously it was not nessassary to go for anything else apart from that triangle...

General tips.

-Stay tighter on all your moves, and put pressure on his theighs upwards with your butterfly hooks
    -Actually fight for shit, prime example in the first little bit where you pulled butterfly guard and got your hips out you didn't even try to get a underhook which would have made more moves come more easily. Instead it looks like you gave up and didn't even try for it... Seriously you should be fighting tooth and nail for that shit, even if his bigger than you, cause it was an important hook that you needed in order to sweep him.
    Opinion - 2nd state bjj blue belt

15. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

kronex and tonster should team up and critque jiujitsu photography.

16. rtzcom

That was thorough, thank you sir

17. rtzcom

all we need is one more person and the cage can have a panel of judges like in dancing with the stars lol

18. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I just like helping people get better, btw rtzcom you have improved a lot since your fights in the comp I last saw of you. Keep training bro

19. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

When you shoot your triangle and lock at the ankles (danger zone) make sure the leg under his armpit is on top. This will keep more pressure on his neck and shoulders and make it harder for him to posture.

hammer your feet!!!1 (flex the calf so that your shin and foot make a right angle)

NOW from danger zone hammer your heels into his back and pich your knees together as hard as you can.

Following that you throw your hips into the air. Because of how tight your knees are his shoulder is isolated by your hip and thigh, thrusting your hips will clear his arm from behind you and now you can move it across your body.

As soon as the arm is across you drop your hips and do a sit up. This locks the tricep/elbow on your body and there is no getting it back to the other side.

from there (lets say R leg is on the neck, L leg is under the arm) your R hand will grip the back of his head, your L hand will grab the top of your shin on the inside of the lock. ONLY NOW can you open danger zone.

The L leg will go to your opponents hip and push. This will turn your entire body toward your knee and allow for a HUGE and super tight readjustment of the R leg allowing for a MUCH tighter triangle.

Once turned and readjusted you close the triangle (with the angle you have achieved it will be rather easy even with larger opponents). Now gable grip around the head and your knee, pinch the knees,thrust the hips, and pull the arms. If this doesn't work Reach for the leg and pull yourself in up to your elbow, do not grip the leg just hook with your arm at the elbow. You opponent will sleep. I promise.

20. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

checkii for hate everything comic relief.

21. rtzcom

it's always appreciated...and thanks I've been training hard to improve

22. rtzcom

I'm glad the cage is still a great training resource

23. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Ok i just watched your video. Ben, and Drag On gave you good tips above in terms of specifics. Kronex said SOME things that I agree with but a lot that I didn't.

Btw I am a purple belt with 6 years of solid bjj, 2 seasons of wrestling, at 160+ lbs and 5'7" (just letting you know so you understand what level of experience I have before I say anything)

Anyways, I remember you saying you have less than 2 years total and are a white belt right now. In my opinion, there is a linear progression that provides the most efficient improvement from white to blue to purple and so forth.

Right now, the focus for you should not be on the submissions at all. You should focus on familiarizing yourself with all the positions, and a couple moves from them all but more importantly: escapes from bad positions, and then sweeps.

In the first 30 seconds, the guy passes your guard and gets scarf hold. It looks like your escape was essentially to buck furiously until he let go... Against someone more technical you would not escape like that. Ask your instructor to show you technical escapes from the positions you are most uncomfortable with.

Being in butterfly guard without an overhook or underhook is also a "bad" position, so ask your instructor to show you proper hook placement and sweeps off of that.

Being in half guard on the bottom flat on your back with no underhook (and no butterfly hook) is bad. Ask your instructor how to escape from that position using your butterfly hook, and arms/hips.

So just to re-itterate: 90% of your training right now should be on escapes, preventing people from passing your guard, and sweeping people.

24. kroneX

kroneX New Member

righto brolli what don't you agree with?

25. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

About the triangle specifically, do what ben said. Work to get that angle.

Work your positions, drill drill drill. Concentrate on staying on top. Dont get accustomed to being in guard, or if you get swept to guard thinking that its ok because youre good from there.

If youre on the bottom keep moving and dont get stuck flat. Remember, if you decided to stop moving in a position on the bottom, youre deciding to stay there.

Youre getting a lot better, keep it up man.

Oh and train in the gi more (all the time).