A&P Critique my portraits!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by nicklk, Nov 5, 2006.

1. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I showed you guys my ghetto portrait studio last month, and I did some shoots of my nephew and neice last night, attempting to make a sort of holiday cards out of them.....I saw them all in raw, but wanted to get thoughts about em....these are pretty much all straight from camera besides resizing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My nephew insisted to take his own pictures with his camera, and he acted to start to take pictures and I thought it would be cute to picture him taking a picture of his sister
    [​IMG]

The rest of my picks are here http://www.nicklk.com/photogreatness/dylanemma/

2. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

3. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Out of 40 different exposures to get #1, thats the best one to come out of them all :rofl: My nephew was getting impatient holding his sister lol..

4. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Any other pointers? Suggestions for changes to the pics?? Lighting, etc??

5. themolsen

themolsen New Member

i really like the 6th, 7th, and 8th pics (closeups)

6. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I don't think a black background is a good choice for these. The baby is wearing a very "soft" looking outfit... she needs a "soft" looking background to match (and yes, I'm sure there could be a problem with availibility... I do no studio stuff, hence I have no backgrounds).

I also feel that the lighting is a bit "hard" for these pictures.

I also don't know what he's talking about using f13 or higher. A portrait is supposed to have some sense of softness to it. I can't recomend an f stop for you because I don't know your working distance, but most portrait work is done at f8 or faster. It really depends on what "look" you want, but I shoot a lot of portraits at f4 (at 100mm) or f5.6 at ~ 60mm.

7. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Most of my shots were done at f4.5, and I dont see any focal problems??? The upclose shots were done at 2.8, but I did that so that their ears were out of focus on purpose..

Black was my only drop, its just a bed sheet and I only have one light so not much of a set up.....if you were to see how I had this whole thing set up....most would laugh, but I thought they turned out decent! Any brother payed me $50 for doing it!!! Cant go wrong!

8. Stereo lol

Stereo lol I don't know if I should say it

the black backdrop doesn't do the kids any justice + it definately isn't the best color for holiday cards

9. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

tell that kid to quit squinting. He looks like he's stoned. And it looks like your just missing focusing on the eyes.

10. nicklk

nicklk New Member

He just turned three, you try telling a 3 year old to act a certain way, see how far it gets you:rofl::rofl::rofl:

On a better note, I have realized that when dealing with people that have had their photographs taken at JC Penny's or Sears, when photographs taken by their own family members turn out better then what they have been paying for....they love them!!!! I have got like 16 compliments today by family on quality of of the portraits!