A&P Critique my pictures :)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TQ, Feb 22, 2005.

1. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

2. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

i take it you shot these during golden hour as the saturation is amazing

first shot, it's a little busy in the foreground that's out of focus. i would have used a smaller aperture or tried to find a subject matter that didn't have stuff in the foreground getting in the way of it if you were to use the same aperture as in that picture. GREAT color :)

second shot, i would have tried to follow the 1/3 rule (or whatever it's called in the US). 1/3 pond, 1/3 trees/horizon, 1/3 sky...so maybe would have pointed the camera up a little more so that all that rubbish/dead plant parts at the bottom would have been cropped.

third shot suffers from the same problem as the first with that stray branch that points semi-towards the camera being out of focus (OOF) as well as the stalk it branches off of in the background. if you could get these in focus, i think it would make a not so interesting subject matter look interesting. once again, make the aperture a bit smaller. once again, great color saturation.

montero doesn't do much for me...

5th one i think you did a great job. one qualm which i've mentioned before is the depth of field. there's a bit too much, for my tastes, OOF in the foreground. if you could improve on that in this particular photo, i think it would be stellar.

last picture, i'm not sure if the fisherman adds or detracts to the image...i think the bottom half of the shot is a little too busy and i would have cropped out a little of the bottom to reduce this

overall, in my opinion, these are some nice shots that could be stellar with a few changes. good job :)

melloboy

3. mojito

mojito New Member

holy super saturation batman

nice job for a pont and shoot. I realy like number 2, just wish the log wasn't basically centered

4. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Thanks guys, I will take all this into consideration before going out again.

I can't justify a $700+ DSLR until I can master my little point and shoot :wiggle:

5. mojito

mojito New Member

Mello and others:

THe rule of thirds isn't to have a 1/3 of everything. Its to not have the sniper effect (dead centering your subject)

You want to divide the frame into thirds, both horizontally and vertically, then to put your subject on one of those crossing points. His 2nd picture would be fine if the log was moved left or right, as the hozion is in a good spot, just not straight (best you can do with out a tripod, though Picasa2 has an amazing feature to fix that)

Keep shooting and have fun

6. mojito

mojito New Member

You did pick a great time to shoot, but keep in mind the long shadows tht come with that time. Makes some great colors though.

The tlast one had a lot of potential, especialy if you could have pushed some of the foreground down or to the sides and make a clearing for the subject. Right now he's hidden and the foreground is in focus, so its competing subjects. But great cocept to start with

7. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

I love the sd300. Great p/s digi. I'm thinking about picking one up to have it as a carry around/leave in car digi. My s40 used to serve that purpose before I gave it away. Love the huge lcd on the sd300 too. :cool:

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

i like the colors and reflection in the montero pic

9. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I really wanted to take a better picture of him but I think he was annoyed.

My friend and gf were throwing rocks about 40-50ft away and I realized later that he was prolly pretty pissed about it scaring his fish :hs:

10. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I REALLY wish I would have gotten more of the reflection of my truck in the water in that pic.

I was leaning over trying not to get wet just to get a decent angle and the truth is I think I took that picture somewhat blindly :hsugh:

11. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I love mine, I take it almost everywhere, parties, bars, etc etc

Even wal-mart sometimes :hsugh: (kidding)

12. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

viper,
    now that you mention it, i didn't even notice that log in the center :/ i thought it was just lake/trees/sky (which is what i was referring to). lol

melloboy

13. BadRotation

BadRotation New Member

I thought the same thing until I got my 20D. It was almost as if the quality of my photos greatly increased instantly. I think the old point and shoot camera was holding me back.

14. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Wow.
    Those are great.

15. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Thanks mang :cool: