Critique my Core i5 build

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZCP M3, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

It's time to put together a computer that will be a NAS as well as have the power to rip Blurays into .mkv's. I chose Core i5 over Core 2 for this build simply because the extra $100 or so got me a lot more power and the latest socket and memory standards. I will be using some cheap PCI or PCIe x1 video card and Windows 7 Professional for the OS. This will all be going into a Lian-Li PC-V2100B case, so there will be PLENTY of room.

My requirements for the motherboard were the following:
    -two x16 PCI-e 2.0 slots with at least x8 connectivity so I can run two hardware RAID cards
    -eSATA & USB 3 for fast transfers from external storage

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Overclocking is NOT an option as this must be 100% stable.

[​IMG]

2. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Nobody? :wtc:

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

You do not need 750W of power. Unless you have 30 hard drives.

4. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

if you have a micro-center around, you can shave 50 bucks off the price of that CPU.

The power supply isn't a bad deal, but there are others (one even from corsair at that same watt rating) that are cheaper and just as good.

If this is going to be an "always on" PC somewhere that you aren't going to upgrade with a huge GPU i would suggest maybe an antec green 430 watt PSU. They are insanely efficient and run cool. A green PSU would save you money on the build, and on operating costs down the line.

5. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

This build will start with 6 hard drives in it and eventually end up with 12 or more. I figured the 750W wasn't necessary now but would be later so I should just go with it now.

6. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

I'd avoid OCZ memory, just based on recent experiences with it blue screening and shit.

I just had a similar build and ended up going with
    i5 750
    Corsair Memory 4GB Dominator DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL9 Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules)
    MSI - Micro Star International P55-GD65 Socket 1156 P55 ATX Motherboard

I started off with a Gigabyte mobo but had nothing but issues with it RMA'd, not the same model as you're using.

7. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Interesting about the OCZ ram, I'll move to Corsair or something similar. I like the Gigabyte mobo because it's pretty loaded with features, hopefully I'll have better luck with my model.

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Yeah you'll probably fine with the one you have, I went Gigabyte initially because everyone was recommending them and had a lot of good reviews. The board I purchased was a pretty new GA-H55M-UD2H model didn't have a ton of reviews but was cheap.

Memory wise Corsair worked well for me your mileage may vary of course but it can't be a bad start.

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It's an i5 and not an i7 :o

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've got OCZ ram in both of my i7's and had it in all of my previous quad core systems (2 q6600's and a q9450) and have had no issues with it.

11. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

He probably got the BSD because he couldn't manually place the timings correctly. OCZ requires "intelligence" to configure, where as the more expensive brands have profiles built in that require no timings to be placed.

12. Dodge guy

Dodge guy Active Member

I did an I5 build a couple months ago

I5 750
    GTX 260
    G Skill Trident 4gb
    MSI G55 GD 65
    NZXT tempest case

Paid $720

I used 4 old HDD and my 660Watt rosewill PSU

13. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I have 6gb of OCZ in my Phenom II system and haven't had a problem in about a year and a half.

14. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

You assume wrong the memory was junk, just read the reviews for it on newegg.

15. thekraft

thekraft New Member

More like 10-20 W. I still think you could go with a smaller PSU, if you need to cut costs, since the biggest power sink is a beefy video card and usually not the hard drives. Still, you can't go wrong with a bigger and better PSU.

16. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I might go with a smaller PSU, but I do like the modularity of the Corsair and it's got 12 SATA connectors so I wouldnt need to get any Y connectors. I'm anal. :o

17. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Modular PSU's are total win if you're not going to be using all the cables off the hop.

18. jero

jero Let me just put the tip in...

Not that OCZ is bad ram, but ive had finnicky issues with their gold ram in the past.

I had a 4 gb kit that HAD to have 2.1 volts to even post. Imagine my surprise when i was putting together a new mobo with that ddr2 and it was my first time using ddr2. I actually had to go to a local store and get a standard issue ddr2 stick, come home and boot my rig so it would post with that stick, and change the volts to 2.1 after hunting down the answer.

Then i had to take that stick back and haggle with the guy for a refund.

So, imho id go with Corsair or G.Skill, both vendors have always performed flawlessly and their ram tends to allow nice overclocks down the road when you start to tinker.

A dominator 2gbx3 kit is what im planning to throw in my i7 build this summer.