Critique Me! (Progress Pics Included)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by 240 KA-T, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

I was hoping to get some comments/criticism/whatever on my workout regime, nutrition, supplementation to properly acheive my goals. If this is too
    long a read please answer the questions I have towards the bottom.

History: I have been lifting weights for a couple years on and off but have now recently (~3 months ago) started dedicating more time and energy to
    my acheive my goals.
    Goals: I hope to enter a competition next year. I wish to avoid using anabolic steroids or NGH to get where I want. But as of right now I want
    to prove to myself I can shed the bodyfat I have accumulated over the previous years of bad diet and relaxed "bulking". I am focusing on cutting while
    keeping as much (or building more if possible) muscle. But I would say I rank losing BF % the most, keeping/building lean muscle runner up.

Workout: I go to the gym 5 days a week and lift for no more than ~50 minutes. Much of my mindset and exercises are derived from AST sports science "Max-OT"
    philosophy, but not all. I train different muscle groups with compound exercises of generally 2-3 sets of intense weight. I shoot for ~6-8
    (varies on the exercise) reps and finish my last rep close to failure. If I get past the certain number, I bump up the weight.

Cardio: Not till the past couple of months have I gotten serious about cardio but as for now I am doing it 3x a week, after my workout. I either use
    the treadmill or elliptical and go for an intense ~20-25 minute session in which I burn ~350 cal. I have read a bit about fat-burn HR and HIT philosophies
    but until I learn more I am sticking with this intense short-period cardio.

Diet: Although I have not measured my maintenence calorie intake, I have cut back significantly on my daily intake and bumped the
    nutritional value of the foods that I eat. I don't have a log but I can't remember the last time I ate a hamburger, drank a coke, or had a piece of cake.
    Things often found in my diet are: low-sugar cereals, fruits, gronola bars, salmon, tuna, rice, lots of water, and I drink a fruit-smoothie every night.
    I try and eat 6 small meals a day but probably lean towards 4 mediocore ones.

Supplementation:
    I think I could use some work here, but i'll leave that to you guys.
    Each morning and evening with meals I take 1 multivitamin, 1 flax seed oil capsule, 1 "lean green" (green tea extract) pill.
    I use the "bracketing" method, directly before AND after each workout I have 1 scoop (24g protein) of "AST VP2 Whey Isolate" w/ milk. I add 5mg of "GNC Creatine Monohydrate" to
    both shakes depending on the day. In a 3 day on 3 day off cycle, I consume ~25g of creatine throughout the day.

Questions:
    Originally I was having a couple VP2 protein shakes a day to boost protein intake but it hurt my wallet (that stuff is rather expensive). I asked about it
    and was told it was a quick absorption protein so I should only really use it before and after workouts and to just consume more protein rich foods throughout the day.
    But I am not eating as much as I hoped, should I be taking slow-absorption protein in the morning and before bed to aid recovery through the day and night? If so, what
    brands do you recommend.

I have heard a bit about "refeeds" to speed up the metabolism in which I consume 1/3 more calories than my diet allows every 7-10 days. Anyone have any good
    experience with this or know where I can get more info?

I have been taking a Centrum Multivitamin twice a day but am running low, what brand should I purchase next?

I have never taken glutamine, should I start or no?

Please critique my pics! What areas would you focus on more, and what exercises would you use?

EDIT: Had trouble with pics but here are two I took today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  2. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

sorry im not saving your pictures just to view them

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

don't see much of a difference from a year ago... you lose weight?

4. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Pictures don't work :dunno:

5. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

:wtc: how can i fix em if i have em uploaded to ihostphotos? BTW you can just click view as JPG.

6. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

no, some people can't

7. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

yeah use photobucket

8. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

9. brettD

brettD New Member

imageshack for the win

10. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

But yea, there is NOT much progress which is why I kinda want some input to get more dramatic results. Although I have only been going intense for the past ~3 months I was hoping to see more fat loss.

11. SteveO

SteveO Guest

why do people ask for critique when there is nothing? build mass...

12. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

yea wtf are you cutting?

you need to bulk

13. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

Well for now I just want to try and hold onto the muscle that I have and shed the fat that I have had since I was a kid. I would like to get rid of the flab before I start to bulk. I know that may sound counter-intuitive but it would help me alot in terms of proving I can rid the extra baggage.

14. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Your body has a pretty good form, bulk bulk bulk.

15. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

By no means am I a powerlifter or comparing myself to someone who knows their shit. But do you really think I don't have anything? Comparing myself to others who have posted pics and gotten compliments I am confused.

EDIT: here is another pic that highlights my love handles, lack of ability to pose, and armpit hair :hs: and gives you a better idea of shoulder/bicep form. Does it seem like my traps are lacking? I don't feel like I can ever get a good workout with em.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  16. SteveO

SteveO Guest

that pic is much better and you look good for your size. Add more mass overall and see waht happens

17. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

K thanks for the input. But can anyone lend any advice as to what/how I am supplementing and my workout regime? What I am doing now I have just pieced together from reading articles, forums, etc.

18. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

you have child bearing hips

19. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

I dont plan on bearing any children though.

20. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

damnit:wtc:

21. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

dont worry about focusing on the little bodyparts, start eating more and lifting heavy and you will fill in. As far as supplements, protein is the only thing that is really important, you can take creatine if you want, all the other stuff is pretty much bullshit, dont waste your money on Glutamine or retarded AST products, just get some optimum whey and some bulknutrition creatine and your good.

22. SteveO

SteveO Guest

fuck supplements, it's way overrated. Eat until you die

23. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    you aint got no love handles either, those are your obliques or some shit...

24. SteveO

SteveO Guest

let the haters hate, girls love a body like that

25. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

The body they love, the personality attached to it they hate :hsd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.