A&P critique/comment on n00b's pic

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by lemans23, Feb 2, 2005.

1. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

[​IMG]

ok here's my first pic evar on the internet. all i did was rotate it cause it looks better this way IMO. what do u think/should i change?

canon elan 7
    fuji superia 100
    can't remember ap/shtsped

2. mojito

mojito New Member

don't know what I'm looking at, assuming leaves or bark or something. Good use of DOF to isolate the one area, but I would add more saturation adn contrast to the image. Also watch the sky, you have one area inthe top center that is ocpletely blown out. If you look in PS, at the leves slider, you don't want the highlights to go higher than say, 250-253. Don't let them hit 255, that means there is 0 deatil there, and will print like shit. Same goes for shadows, 3-5 would be the min, you don't want a 0-1.

3. lemans23

new stuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i jacked up the berries negative and i tried to fix it

4. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

I love texture close-ups in general, so I like the subject of these pics, but the execution needs work.

With the tree one, everything should be in focus (only like 20% is right now), and it would have been better from a different angle with only the bark in the picture without the sky.

The berry doesn't really work at all. I don't like the composition and it is abnormally saturated.

The brick one is weird because of the focus. When you are going to have part of the picture out of focus, it should be to highlight the clear area for a reason - ie, it's not uncommon for, say, a flower to be in focus even though it's leaves aren't. With these bricks though, the midd;e line of the frame (top to bottom) is in focus and it just doesn't work because there is no reason that is should be in focus and the rest shouldn't.

While clouds aren't particularly original, I think the last pic is your best. It's got a nice color balance, the sun is shining nicely, the clouds are well captured. It sort of reminds me of a painting.

5. lemans23

yeah the berry isnt workin for me either, i tried to save it. i rotated the bark one. the bark is on the right, what you are seeing at the top would be the left of the yard. i li ked the perspective better. thanks for the comment about the brick one and for not being a moron about it like other people ive shown it to who can't put it together that you have to learn something to excel at it. i liked the clouds also. i just liked the calmness of the picture. what could i have done to improve the berry one?

6. bluesphx

bluesphx Member

I agree with shangrilarcadia for the most part. The bark should all be in focus, same with the brick. Remember the smaller the ap. the more depth of field you will get. I like the berry one but it would be better if they were all in focus. I love the cloud pic. Mabye pull it out a bit and get more cloud formations on the next one? Also I love the camera you are shooting with. I am some what of a photography nut myself. I hope this helps. vbmenu_register("postmenu_30941728", true);

One more suggestion. If you focus on one clump of berries it could be a awesome pic. Try and crop it from and 8*10 print to a 4*6 print by cutting it down.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  7. lemans23

[​IMG]

older stuff. touched it up cause the negatives were scratched, and obviously bordered it *edit* no saturation = b+w which i also did

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  8. the brick wall pic is pretty nice :bigthumb:

9. lemans23

gracias

10. chizzle

chizzle New Member