A&P critique and comment on my pics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by crxer, Dec 9, 2004.

1. crxer

crxer OT Supporter

Tell me what you think:
    [​IMG]">
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

i like the ideas behind all of the compositions

3. reinvent4

reinvent4 Guest

good comp, im lovin the lens flare in the water :bigthumb:

4. Grayham

Grayham New Member

A lot just seems like you're average point-and-shoot picture taking. Try varying the angles and don't be afraid to experiment.

5. elbirth

elbirth Guest

I like the last one a lot, but I can't quite figure out what's going on with it. I can tell it's water going in front of the lens, but what did you do to take the picture? Is there a piece of glass in front of the camera with water being poured down it or something?

6. lgj24

lgj24 OT Supporter

I like that last one too...but can't quite figure out what it is??? Good job!

7. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

doesn't do a thing for me...there isn't much that can be done with still car shots (and when i realized this, i was very disappointed since cars are my biggest hobby/my future)

i wouldn't take many more car shots just because the best you can do is to make them look like they are out of a magazine and those pictures really don't envoke any emotion or do anything for the viewers...cars in motion can make for decent shots, but those can be hard to pull off decently...but for this one, i would leave it out of your final collection (i keep all the regular pics i take in separate folders than all of my favorite printable/framable prints)
    not exactly sure what you are trying to do with this one...i like how you used the space and the awkward angle (since i'm generally into awkward angles), but this one may be slightly too awkward because you have to wait a second before you can even figure out what you are looking at...this doesn't really do much for me, but it is a decent start
    the light reflecting off the water looks very cool...other than that, the pic really does nothing for me and it doesn't seem as thogh you are trying to convey anything, just looks like point and shoot and you got lucky with the reflection on the water :dunno:
    neither of these do anything for me...just point and shoot and it doesn't envoke any emotion or tell me what you are trying to convey
    i'd say this is my favorite of the bunch...this is the only pic i see that isn't focused into infinity...use of selective focus is good and you should continue with that...the only problem i have with this pic is that the way the hand looks is unnatural...it just looks like you have someone possibly with their left hand holding a pen on the paper but not doing anything...i think if you retook this shot to make it look more realistic/actual action it would come out a lot better...but i feel like you have something here
    no idea what i'm looking at...is this heavily photoshopped?

overall, you have a couple that have good ideas in there, but they all have some issues...you need to look more at framing/composition and focus...try to take pictures of objects that don't make up common pictures...go to a computer lab or a junkyard and take some black and white shots...taking any intro to photography class usng an SLR camera would be very beneficial for you

sorry if i sound critical, thats just how i am generally with photos...after i took a good intro to photography class (i took one years ago, but it wasn't great, so i took another one), i was able to see things i had never seen before...i had a portfolio of all my favorite digital prints and after this class, i disliked most of them because i realized things about them i hadn't before...i realized that i was looking more for "oh, this is a cool shot" rather than "this shot is amazing"...but keep up the good work

8. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Your intro to photography course didn't explain what a star filter is?

9. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i've taken more than just intro, but no, we haven't ever covered a star filter in any of my classes

10. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

special effect sunburst filter. well at least in videography thats what its called.

11. Grayham

Grayham New Member

Mine didn't.

12. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Well, now you know what a star filter does. :)

13. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

yeah, i'm defenitely always up for learning new things, especially with photography

i guess i'm somewhat confused on the usefulness of this filter...can you give me any examples of when any professional might use it? thanks

14. elbirth

elbirth Guest

usually star filters are used in order to flare out some lights... for instance maybe a lightpole along a sidewalk or something, rather than having a glow ball of light around it, the light will flare out into a 4 or 6 point star.

Although, an aspherical lens will generally achieve a very similar effect if you use a slightly longer shutter speed.

15. crxer

crxer OT Supporter

Thanks for the comments guys, that last pic is one i took while going through the carwash. It's at the end when the water gets blown off the car :)

16. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Well, you probably wouldn't use it often in the way that crxer has in this thread, but if you imagine situations where you're photographing something with a smaller number of highlights, the effect is not so overwhelming. I don't know, perhaps in glamour photography - say you are photographing a girl with a piece of shiny jewellery on and you want to add a little something to the image. It would probably even turn the glint in her eyes in to little stars too, that sort of thing. I guess it really depends on what the photographer wants to achieve with the pic - it could be used anywhere!

Also as elbirth said - only both my lenses are aspherical, so I always get stars around lights. :)

17. crxer

crxer OT Supporter

nope i live in hawaii

18. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

that last one is awesome, till i read what you said it was my eyes were searching all over it trying to make out WTF is was :bigthumb:

19. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

[​IMG]
    Sorry, I hate car pics. Everyone takes car pics and thinks they are the greatest photographer ever!!!! It's just a cliche subject matter in my opinion.
    [​IMG]
    don't like that one, i think the angle bothers me. which means it's interesting to say the least...
    [​IMG]
    kinda blah, nothing interesting except the effect
    [​IMG]
    better than the last, but still kinda boring
    [​IMG]
    really like this one good composition on that oen
    [​IMG]
    good , looks kinda like a shot dateline would have on their news coverage :dunno:
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    I like it a lot, but i'd like higher res and more image that is uncovered with water, so the effect of the water is more pronounced

20. crxer

crxer OT Supporter

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm planning to take more over the winter break. Maybe i can get some nice ones of fireworks and christmas lights.