criticize my waxing technique

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by smell my finger, Oct 3, 2002.

1. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

just used S100 for the first time (thanks ScottWax :bigthumb: ) it was awsome. went on like butter and came off the same way. ok here's how i applied it, and being a wax-n00b i have no idea how well i did, except that it came out looking nice

cleaned the car throughly, just washed it i didnt use a polish or anything like that.. after the wash and dry moved it into the garage to wax it. i went over each pannel before i waxed with a microfiber towl to make sure the surface was clean.. then i would apply the wax with light pressure in circles (like Karate Kid :cool: ) i would do two or three pannels at a time, then come back and wipe off the wax with another microfiber towl, turning the towel over fairly often. after i was done with those pannels i would come back with a thrid microfiber towel and make sure everything was cleaned off. i would say the wax was sitting on the car for about 10-20 minutes before it was wiped off.. does all this sound right ? oh yah.. most of the ime there was very little resitance when wiping the wax off, but then i would hit a stop where the microfiber towel would catch some.. alright, thanks for reading all this.. tell me how i did.. ill have picture tomorrow probobly :big grin:

2. mc technik

mc technik your purrty...

sounds good to me. I almost do the samething, i wax the car completely then wipe off the wax all at once. sometimes i think i put too much wax on, but i dont know?

3. smell my finger

i didn't know if that would leave the wax sitting on the surface for too long.. or is it better to let it sit for almost an hour, so it can sink in more :confused:

4. smell my finger

also.. the S100 came with a foam-type applicator pad.. i also have two, brand new, cotton-terry applicator pads sitting in my room. id like to use these next time as they are a little larger and thicker.. but is there any specific reason the S100 came with a foam pad ? is one better than the other ? will the cotton-terry work just as well ?

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Did you read the little booklet that comes with the S100? Use back and forth motions the way air flows over the car and wipe off before it hazes. It comes off easiest if you apply it to one panel and wipe off immediately.

Stay away from terry cloth applicators and stick with foam. More gentle on the paint. I use Meguiars foam hand applicators. I think they run $4-5 for a package of 4. Check out www.meguiars.com for more information on them...but they work great for applying S100.

Pick up the paint cleanser also and use it about every 6 months or so to keep the paint polished. It goes on an off as easily as S100 wax.

6. smell my finger

:o i think i lost the little booklet :(

i applied in circles.. but i wiped it off the way air flows because i remeber reading that on OT, i guess it was about APPLYING it as well.. hope i didn't do too much damange :o

so there is nothing to be gained by letting the way sit for 10 minutes or so before wiping.. intresting.

thanks again :bigthumb:

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Hmmm... I was never aware of a specific waxing technique, but you learn new things everyday, right? Makes sense to go back and forth.

BTW, how much damage will the terry cloth applicators really do to the paint?

8. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

i always go with the lines of the car when removing excess wax, however, i also apply it in circles as it gets more surface area in less time. i wax the whole car at once (it takes me less than 15 minutes) and then i just start removing in the same order i started.. the wax just sits on my car for about 15 minutes. i'm still using #26 though :)