WEB Criticism Welcome

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris A., Apr 13, 2008.

1. Chris A.

Chris A. New Member

Please do me a favour and criticise my website I need it to be as good as possible as it is my only means of income as I have been recently widowed and have no pension. I promise to take note of all comments and am looking for constructive criticism so that I can make improvements.

2. Solstice

Solstice New Member

Looks clean enough. I'd work on getting myself up on google. You're not in the first 10 pages for "jewellery" on google.co.uk.

3. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

Very nice. I would take down the "Follow Your Dreams" picture, unless you know it's adding some value.

Solstice is right, I would work on SEO a bit, but other than that, great site, looks VERY clean.

4. c.a

c.a New Member

yeah, i agree with everyone else, site looks good, just need to work on seo. theres alot of threads in this forum that should be able to help you, just poke around a little bit

5. pkr

pkr Guest

Link?

6. c.a

c.a New Member

in his sig

7. wolf32

wolf32 New Member

"gemstones and crysals"

I'm not really following the whole "follow your dreams" thing either. I also think the image is too big. IMO

Simple layout though, very nice for usability.

8. pkr

pkr Guest

I got sigs turned off.

Nevermind. I lost interest.

9. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

header image too big, the search button is tiny and should be centered with the box vertically, probably move your shopping basket up top (that's where people generally look for that), include a simple menu in the footer.

Other then that it looks good.

10. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

its too plain:
    a) background is ugly
    b) I really don't understand what follow your dreams has to do with buying jewelery
    c) basically the problem I see with your layout is that its not unique, its no different from someone looking at any commerce website, whether its fertilizer, jewelery or fleshlights.

What I would do is hire a good designer to make you something more advanced. i.e. instead of the whole thing on main page, replace it with a big image with pics for each category. And each pic would lead to the actual part of the site with another big image specific to that category.

Also I would look around to changing your domain name. You do realize you spelled jewelery wrong right? And frankly that name is way too long as it is. Look into getting something like waterstonehub or waterstonehq or waterstoneweb or something along those lines. Something that a user can't misspell easily.

i.e. right now you are losing word of mouth completely...."Hey go to waterstonejewelery", "oh except jewelery is spelled with 2 ls, and its a co.uk instead of .com"

11. Chris A.

Chris A. New Member

Thanks for these very interesting and helpful comments which I will certainly act on.
    The spelling of jewellery is correct for the UK.

12. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

There is nothing wrong with simple websites. In fact, when you are trying to sell art, jewelry, etc, you often WANT a simple layout that gives the most attention to the stuff you're selling.

Your idea of images for the major subcategories is a good one though, currently the sidemenu is quite large.