criteria to choose a cpu and motherboard.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jigga, Jun 15, 2004.

1. jigga

jigga while your gun's raisin, mine is blazin

what are they? what does one have to look at?
    what are the different ways to evaluate a cpu/mobo so I can know what each will do for me and which one's I should get.

i'm trying to spec out a new machine but I'm not sure what to get for it. one thing i know is i'm not a gamer. I use the machine purely for web/graphics programs like photoshop/illustrator/dreamweaver and for listening to music, watching pron and other vids.

i just want it to be super fast when loading up programs and files and when working in photoshop. what would you guys recommend?

thanks.

2. melybaby12

melybaby12 Guest

In my eyes, i think a motherboard should be selected depending on what features it has and how good of a board it is (i.e. it wont burn up or anything like that). Basically you want to look at a motherboard, select what features you NEED that it contains (i.e. SATA, RAID, 1394), and then make your purchase. If your not into gaming, a cheap mobo from say MSI or ASUS would probably do you good. How is your knowledge of computers?

3. jigga

when it comes to motherboards and cpu's my knowledge is beginner. i catch on quick tho, i'm more of a software person.

4. MP

MP New Member

well what mobo/cpu combination does depend on what you plan on doing with the rig...

example:
    If you plan on overclocking you'll need to look into what cpu's overclock the best (ie: certain athlon xp's, definitly certain p4's and so on.) For the motherboard you'll want to look at something with the latest chipset built into it w/ the most advanced overclocking features along w/ good ram / chipset coolers & gpu (video card). if you skimp on any of this then it'll handicap the potential for maximum speeds.

lets say you just wanted a computer that works..does your basic shit. Then you'de really just look for a middle of the road mobo/cpu combination. You can get a cheaper motherboard with all the standard features (still name brand: asus, abit, etc) & whatever proc is a really good deal at that time. There's always really good deals on fast procs going on. you won't be able to OC as well but it'll last for a while and be a solid dependable box.

The list goes on an on, like if you wanted a regular working computer but also to be able to play todays games.. Then you will probably want to look at getting a higher end video card. bla bla bla

if you want it to be "super fast" loading / rendering / saving etc etc while a good proc is important I think that the rest of the rig really determines how fast it'll be. It's a known fact that the bottle neck in current computers is either with the hard drive / rom drive / or ram (ram not so much anymore), or a combination of all of those things. If you were to get say a 2.8ghz p4 or comparable AMD (ie: athlon xp 3000+) and a average priced mobo, yes that'll suffice...BUT if you set up a sATA in raid 0 (or even one of those raptor 10,000rpm drives), fast Dual channel DDR ram, and a solid video card, that will speed up the overall performance a great amount when you are working in PS, dreamweaver, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you might want to look into getting a average (to todays standards) cpu/mobo configuration, and then free up a lot of the bottlenecking that typically occurs by getting a faster HDD, fast ram, and so on.

:p

5. jigga

Hey Rapture,
    Thanks for the response...
    I'm not sure yet whether I want to overclock this machine... so I may just get one that will be able to deal with that, should i decide to tinker later on. I know for a fact that I wont be using it much for gaming -- besides, i've got a Samsung 191Tplus LCD monitor and an ATI 9600 video card.. so yeah.. no gaming.

As for the CPU and MOBO, i think I'm gonna go with the athlon 64 3200+ and ASUS K8V SE Deluxe. It's got the VIA K8T800 Pro chipset.. is that the newest out there?
    ALthought the Socket 754's are gonna get pushed down the line since the socket 939's just came out, the 939's are too expensive, and the only difference is that they support Dual channel RAM... which will be expensive and I probably won't need it anyway... besides, on most tests, it only showed to be about 10% faster..so big deal.

So I'm pretty set on the A64 3200+ and ASUS K8V SE DEluxe..you think the ABIT or MSI are any better? They are both more expensive... but this one seems to have the most features and best value.

As for the RAM, i was just gonna get Kingston DDR400 PC3200 RAM.. but now I'm wondering if I should do a bit better and get PC4000 RAM.. in case i wanna OC?
    Do you know anything about the Corsair XMS RAM? HOw's that?

I didnt initially have it in my plans but i'm definately gonna get at least a 36 gig Raptor drive.. that's what i need.. fast file access. Question is, do I really need two of them? DO i really need a RAID setup? I was gonna get one 36 Raptor and one 250GB WD SATA drive @ 7200 rpms

Thanks for the help.

6. Brian

Brian New Member

9600 could run games

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

if your going to spend that much on hard drives. you might want to go SCSI for a boot drive. sure you'll need a seperate PCI card to control the drives. but your computer wont bog down when you are burning a cd or something, and scsi drives are usually built better and have longer warranty. For the price you pay for a 37 GB raptor i got 3 SCSI 10K hard drives (2 are brand new, 1 is refurbished. 2 18.9 GB Quantum Atlas 3's, and 1 9.1 10K Atlas 2). Just a thought.

8. jigga

wow... i don't know where you are shopping but i don't see how u can get 3 SCSI 10K HDD's for the price of a 36GB Raptor???

My prices:
    36GB Raptor: $169 Canadian

Quantum Atlas 10K III 18GB: $159 Canadian

How did you get two 18's and a 9.1 for less than $169??

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

ebay. there is a lot of scsi stuff for decent prices.

10. lordbean

lordbean Guest

RAID is a pretty good performance booster... my comp uses two Maxtor 120GB SATA HDs in RAID-0 and a 5GB Quantum Fireball (ancient LOL) drive as boot... I made sure the virtual memory and the internet cache are both on the RAID disk, so basically all the 5GB does is boot the system, and then I'm off and flying with the RAID setup. Even two 7200 HDs in RAID-0 gives you a significantly fast drive :)