Creative people of OT

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, May 13, 2003.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Do I need a logo for my product?

Product in question (about 95% done)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already have a tester lined up. He's from Canada, and had nothing but great ideas toward this project. His identity will remain a mystery for now.

The question/problem
    Current cheap and crappie packaging.

[​IMG]

2. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

a) Is it just me or is this very much like QuickBooks and Intaact accounting / financial management software?

b) Balzz? :o I was wondering where he was and what he was up to.

c) Uh yeah, that packaging needs work. What direction did you have in mind or are you a blank slate on that right now?

3. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

damnit i wanna be a tester you bastard :fawk:

4. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

Oh and you need to make those icons proportionate. That calculator icon is MUCH too big compared to the others.

5. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

A) I like QuickBooks, but it's much different than that program. It's a melding of things I worked on for the past few years. It keeps track of customers, employees, basic accounting, products, services, etc. I've seen total and utter shit out there sell for $10,000. This program is going to be better than that, at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't compare this to shrink rapped software you'd find on the store shelf. I'm flexible enough to add more features, IF it would make the program better.

B) No. Not Balzz. :o Although he's very good at what he does. It's some other person who has been fantastic thus far.

C) I like making software, but the packaging and marketing is going to be real tough. Well, I'm going to a print shop today to find out what I can do. The CD is smaller than the standard size. I was thinking about buying Game Cube boxes, and just use them. I'm still not sure.

I have absolutely no product logo. Just the text "SB-X" with my company logo. I'm extremely open to any image ideas.

6. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

BRB (tonight)

7. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

looks nice... cant answer any questions, but i can ask my own ;)

where did you get the little graphics from, make them yourself? if so, what software did you use?

how long did it take you to write that?

how will you offer tech support if you market that and it goes out to thousands of consumers?

8. e-thug

e-thug CBR600RR

Allow me to answer this..

Is there something in your eye?

Graphics came from Microsoft, Royalty free XP icon sites, and more. Not one source per say.

VBGOD lost track of time, but I guess you can say 3-4 months so far.

That's a dilemma that he looks forward to. If he gets a lot of customers, he'd outsource the support to fellow OT members. There would be a contract, company cell phone, and pay involved.

9. e-thug

e-thug CBR600RR

That's what I told him! BUT NOOOOOOOOOOO, he doesn't believe me. :rolleyes:

10. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

Alot of small businesses can't afford to pay a company to handle all of their customer support though.

11. CitznFish

CitznFish Don't live life by a single sentence OT Supporter

you need a better name too.... I can't tell what the hell it is from the name. i can only guess from the screenshots. What makes this any better than what's alreadu available as shareware/freeware or advanced products like the quicken/money line?

12. Praezision

Praezision Guest

Yes you need a logo. This will allow several things:
    1. A logo to put on your packaging which will take up a lot of room and allow customers to identify it easily as your product.
    2. A logo to use as an icon so customers can easily identify the shortcut to your program on their desktop.
    3. A logo to use as an icon for when they are running their program.

13. Praezision

Praezision Guest

He said before, the biggest incentive for a customer to buy his product is the price.

14. CitznFish

CitznFish Don't live life by a single sentence OT Supporter

hard to beat free.

15. Chimpa Codigo

Chimpa Codigo Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Modulators

yes and how much are you willing to pay?

16. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Ahhh.. I was expecting this type of answer from OT.

The name stays. Do you know what Quicken was by the name? Well, over time you do, but initially you don't.

Also, this is not some third rate piece of shit program or some store shelf shrink rapped program. This is not a quicken/money program. It's a full AMS, contacts database, employee management, tech support, and a lot more. I'm sure you're of the attitude of "hey, someone else has a program out there like this, why bother", which is a horrible, horrible attitude to have. A lot of business need a system like this. Example: Honda called me up 2 weeks after I got my car. The dealership said that they had a great deal on a Honda Civic. I told them I bought one already. Oh. <hangs up phone>. Part of the customer contact information is not just data, but also history/transactions. Call a customer up, and click on contact history. From the drop down box, you can select what type of contact type this (phone, email, fax, ect) and the notes. So, another one of your workers pulls up this customer, and can clearly see that they were called recently. It's all about organizing what you have. This is just the very tip of the ice berg. Working smarter, not harder. I'm sure a lot people will be pissed off that I gave you a full reply instead of a short one sentence answer. :o

17. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Smart...

Keep talking. :o

18. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Pay, for a logo, or something else?

I'll pay for a logo. If that's what you're talking about.

Nothing is for free.

19. I can try to whip something up for you. What do you have in mind.

If you want to see some of my past work before hand, let me know. :)

20. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I do have a splash screen when it is connecting to the SQL Server + loading personal settings.

21. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Yeah, post it if you can. If you want to keep it private, then I'll understand that (OT is filled with trolls).

22. Chimpa Codigo

Chimpa Codigo Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Modulators

what ever happened to the diabetes program, or was that someone elses program?

23. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Hell yes. SQL Database. The program was deigned for a multi-user environment too.

24. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I put it on hold. Now that's a market dieing for a high-end application. I've seen everything out there, and it's pretty scary. No one cares about the Diabetic people. Too many DOS and crappy win programs out there. I'd love to make the Diabetic program, but I need to stick with paying projects first.

25. check your pm, i also have a bunch of wallpapers, if you want to take a look at those...