WEB creating blogs for monetization

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I still don't know what website layout to use.

I'd like to do it for free if I can, but I don't know if that is possible.

My concerns:

Using free hosted blogger blogs
    Obviously I am going to need adsense but doesn't blogger only let you put adsense where it allows you to (as dictated by the "monetize" option in blogger dashboard)?

Using my own domain
    Is it ok to buy a universal-sounding domain and make 100s of subdomains? I really don't want to buy hundreds of individual domains when I'm not even sure which of my blog niches will be successful. So if I were to get something like "about.com" (obviously that's already taken) I could do niche1.about.com, niche2.about.com, etc. That would work.

Using the "blog" format
    Is this acceptable for adsense blog farms? My concers are as follows:

- With a normal "blog" format, every post is going to appear on the first page, at the top of the list. So you're going to have 50-100 posts, and you're still only going to have 1 page on the entire site. The problem with this is going to be you can't optimize indidivual posts for search engines. If your blog topic is "widgets" you can't have one page for "blue widgets" and another page for "big widgets" and another page for "how to shop for widgets", etc. Instead, you're going to have them all on the same page, which sounds lame. It also limits that effectiveness of adsense because you can only have like 3 adsense panels per page and if you have 50 posts on one page then chances are the reader is not going to be viewing adsense at most times.

- With an "article site" format, you can have a table of contents or whatever on one side, and each article or "blog entry" will have its own page. This sounds by far like the best idea because then each page can have its own 3 adsense ad panels, AND you can SEO each individual article. But I don't know of any free blog hosts that allow this format. Are there any? Second question: all of my websites up through this point have been entirely coded by hand by me, so I've never used WP or anything. Are there any WP themes that are set up like this so that each article gets its own page rather than being posted all on the same page?

2. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Can only help with one question there.. with the blog format you can still categorise the posts, meaning you -will- have multiple pages (a page for each category), each one filled with posts on that topic, each one able to have it's own targeted keywords/phrases and ads. The front page will just be the latest 10 (or whatever number you choose) posts from all categories.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Is that the best format to do it with?

I would think something like this would be better where each article is on its own page. btw supposedly this site makes bank:

http://fireplacedesigntips.com/

edit - the downside of that is having to buy a domain name for each site. I wonder if it would work with subdomains.

And if there was a WP theme that let you set up sites that way I'd be all over it.

4. Browning

Browning Active Member

that just looks like a shitty made for adsense site. I doubt it is making much at all.

5. Browning

Browning Active Member

Don't believe it's making that much, sorry.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

So a "blog" style page is better where all the posts appear on the same page then?

I just don't intuitively see how that could be better. Here are the following cons I can think of:

- All your posts on one page but only 3 adsense panels = chances are the person won't be looking an adsense ad and therefore won't be clicking it

- All your posts on one page = no ability to SEO for various blog posts. You just have one page total which you can SEO for some keywords, but not all keywords

- Do people really read blogs? When I want info about something I sure as hell don't go read someone's blog about it. I go find some informational site instead where each product/topic/whatever has its own page. I don't understand how a blog with all the posts on the same page would be useful. What if the person wants to learn about "Type-A Widgets" and so he's taken to a blog with 50 posts about Widgets (all on the same page with no table of contents). Am I supposed to believe that he's going to spend the time to scroll down the page looking through all 50 posts until he gets to the one talking about "Type-A Widgets"? (compared to an "article" type site where he would be taken directly to the page about Type-A Widgets because that entry has its own page which is specifically SEOed and all the ads on that page will specifically apply to Type-A Widgets because that's the only info on the page, which brings me to my next point:

- I don't see how adsense can give targeted ads when you have all 50 articles/posts on the same page. If each post gets its own page then you will get ads specific to the subject of that post, but if you have 50 different posts on the same page, you're going to get ads related to all of them, not to the specific one that the person is reading at the moment.

What am I missing?

7. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

cloverfieldnews.com is one of my blog sites... when the movie was big/popular i was making like $30 a day on just adsense...

the ads on the first page may skew the adsense targeting a bit, but every single post has it's own page, and search engines find them, so when people go to the single page posts, they get more targeted ads....

You can always use the "more" or "jump" feature to make sure that people click through to view the entire article, thus getting them onto a single page with more targeted ads as opposed to the homepage...

8. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

Are you scraping or actually writing articles?

9. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

actually write the articles... I write all the articles on my movie blogs, well I have a friend that helps with a couple of them.

10. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

Ah. About how many blogs do you have running?

11. LowClass

LowClass New Member

Def dont scrap, its lazy and wont get you very far. Write content that is valuble long term add photos and good alt tags and let it be. SEO will improve. rinse and repeat

12. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

But what if I'm dealing with 100+ blogs. :o

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

bump for answers to these questions

14. 07

07 18-1

From someone who knows. You already answered them. :coolugh:

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

i guess what i'm asking is which of the following formats is best for a series of blogs created for monetization:

(none of these are mine, they're just examples of different types)

All new posts appearing on the front page with a "read the rest of this entry" option
    http://www.stocktradingsoftwarereviews.org/page/2/

Blog with one post per page and links to other posts
    http://www.korpritzombie.com/

Blog with one post per page but no central linking hub (specifically designed that way so people have to click an add to get off the page)
    http://www.renewable-power-resource.info/the-advantages-and-benefits-of-wooden-furniture/

An "info" or "article" site that doesn't even follow a blog layout (no dated posts, etc.) with an article hub on the right column
    http://fireplacedesigntips.com/

I seriously have everything ready to go except I can't find any info about which design is most effective.

17. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

ummm, not 100+ since i'd rather build a couple up with original content with more potential than just scrape other sites. I think i have 4 or 5 that i write myself, then i have the one that's getting the most attention right now that a friend helps me with. They are all movie blogs (except my personal one which is just a place for me to write bullshit), but even with 4 or 5 writing myself, sometimes its hard to keep up with all the news.

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Is it going to be a pain in the ass if I have to install WP on hundreds of subdomains for a blog farm? And what if there's an update? Will I have to update all of them individually?

19. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

what are you trying to accomplish with a "blog farm"? It's not going to help your page ranking if they are just subdomains and you're linking them all to each other since they are all going to be on the same IP... but as someone said above, you can always scrape for your content instead of writing it all yourself. Updating 100's of blogs isn't going to be possible by yourself. You could always hit up digital point and hire some indians or something to do them...

The install wouldn't be too hard depending on the host, most of the major shared hosting companies have one-click install for wordpress, so it's pretty much instant.

20. LowClass

LowClass New Member

So funny that this thread came back up i had about 140 parked domains that i felt were better used as sutoblogs with adsense rather than at parked.com

So i got a hostgator account with fantastico. building one completly right now and building a how to page on how to set it up. will use fantastico to set them all up then hire a VA to configure them.