WEB Creating a web 2.0 style website

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by k1ko, Dec 17, 2007.

1. k1ko

k1ko OT Supporter

Hello everyone,

I am interested in creating a web 2.0 style website that involves having user generated content. The content can come through .doc, .txt, .pdf, and other document related extentions. Use of the website resources can only be used by members so I also need to have functionality for member register/login with member profile pages.

My partner and myself have experience with ASP, VB, SQL, PHP, html, and css. Would the features I have listed be able to be accomplished using the languages that i am familiar with? I also would like to have future functionality for a web conference type meeting similar to sametime between two members through the website.

If anyone is interested and willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement, we are looking for some help. We have a great idea and are looking to devote all of our spare time to making a popular and robust website. We are mainly looking for help in the design and programming of the website.

Just to give us credibility, we are both consultants at Computer Sciences Corporation and are soon rolling off a project so we will have alot of spare time coming up. email me if interested in [email protected]

Thanks

2. pkr

pkr Guest

Yes they most definitely can get your site done, HOWEVER, since you are asking if your goals can be accomplished with the languages you said you have experience in, you must either A. suck using them or B. never have used them before.

3. k1ko

k1ko OT Supporter

yah i have never used those languages to program a member profile page to be honest. Never had too in any of my work. I knew it could be done but wasn't sure if they were the optimal choice for the requirements I had. I'm pretty good with languages and picking things up quickly. So was seeing if there were any suggestions on different languages that would be a better choice.

thanks for the reply though

4. marcom10

marcom10 ...

If you want to create a web 2.0 site, I suggest using Ruby On Rails, or AJAX

5. noon

noon get high and teach me how to listen

Use PHP

There are plenty of existing web 2.0 PHP scripts out there, and you should be able to pick up javascript quickly for ajax functionality.

6. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

lol, ok

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

YOU NEED LOTS OF WHITE SPACE

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ASP.Net would be my preferred framework, using VB for the code. Unfortunatly, I do not have the luxury of a Win2k3 server :hs:

Alas, PHP is my backup, with a very heavily modified codeigniter for my framework.