creatine and headaches?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by poostik, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poostik

poostik member

I ordered Redblast and PureCEE through Anafit and started on it last week. I don't know if it's coincidence but since I've started, I had massive headaches when working out and running.

A little background:
    Started @ 5'7" - 162lbs
    Currently 148lbs
    Quit smoking and cut down drinking to one day a week on April 1st, 2007. Smoked since high school, I'm 34.

Started running 3 days a week to help remind me how bad I needed to quit smoking. It started slow, but after about 3 weeks in, I was able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes w/o feeling like I was gonna die. (I'm down to 3 miles in under 24 minutes these days). Also, during this, diet change. Lots of protein, low carbs, lots of veggies, (i never really had a sweet tooth) no soda or cookies and shit.

Started on a 5x5 lifting routine + 2 days cardio (running). Squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, pullups, goodmornings. Some other stuff. Didn't target anything in particular.
    About a month ago, switched to a more targeted routine. 12,10,8,6,12 reps. 2 days upper, one day lower and reverse the next week. 3 days cardio (mixing some days with HiiT). Really digging this routine. It's so much quicker than 5x5 and i'm gettin some definition :)

Anyway, fast forward to last week. Took the recommended dosage of redblast on lifting days and recommended dosage of pureCEE on off(cardio) days. Somehow I don't think it's coincidental that I got MASSIVE headaches while lifting and running. Almost unbearable. I made it through my routines, but it was tough. I don't have them when I'm not doing anything physical. I get them right at the end of a set or when I'm really starting to strain. Just pounding headaches. After workout, it takes about an hour to go away.
    The last time I took em was Friday, thinking that yesterday, during lifting, I'd be headache free . . . Well, I had em again.

I guess my questions are, how long does this stuff stay in your system? Is headaches a side effect? Is it completely coincidence? I haven't gotten these headaches at all in the past 6 months and there hasn't been any major change in diet or anything.

Need help.

Sorry if this is noobert stuff. Any help would be appreciated though.

2. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Probably the redblast and the caffeine.. Ive never heard of creatine giving headaches - make sure you are drinking enough water

3. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

up your water intake. i had issues with headaches when on purecee if i didn't get in at least half a gallon of fluids.

4. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I agree, try drinking more water. If I'm dehydrated I get bad exertion headaches and creatine likes to steal water from your body to stick it in the muscles or so is my understanding/experience

5. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Never got headaches while on creatine, but after being on the shit continuously for over a year I would get nasty heartburn. I cut the creatine out and then the heartburn stopped. :dunno:

6. poostik

poostik member

hrm...
    i drink assloads of water. i have to say, i didn't increase it when i started takin the pills. But, I probably go through a gallon before I leave work (i usually work out right after work).
    Still don't know if the headaches are related. Like I said, I haven't taken any since Friday and yesterday I still got the headaches when lifting. :(
    I'm gonna lay off I think for a few more days. Gotta figure out wtf is up with headaches. Sucks.

7. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

You're probably not breathing correctly.

8. poostik

poostik member

I've been fine the last 6 months lifting, until last week when i started taking creatine. I'm open for breathing techniques but I don't think that's the problem. I'm sitting at my desk at work right now and I can feel the pressure in my head right now. Doesn't hurt right now, but it's going to when I lift.

9. poostik

poostik member

I'm starting to think I have something else going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.