crazy slow computer at work

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Feb 13, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

so i work at a grocery store, sadly, till i graduate.

each department has their own computer for the managers to check email and use the grocery store intranet etc

my bosses computer is running like crap. i've never seen anything so slow. due to his user rights on it, i can't get much info, it is a 1.2ghz pentium 4 with 256mb ram. i don't know how big the hard drive is, can't access it. its running winxp pro.

anyways, you click on the start button and literally 10 seconds later it will pop up. the hard drive light is nearly constantly on when you do that. i can view task manager and nothing is hogging up the processor, it has about 96mb of ram left available. processor will be at 1-2%, then it seems like it is frozen, then all of a sudden it will do what you want it to do

to me it seems like a major hard drive issue. i'm not sure if it just needs a defrag (which he has no access) or most likely a new image. i wish i could test the hardware

the retarded IT guy came out 3 days last week and tried to fix it. he said it was because the wrong printer was installed and that he'd run a program to clean up the files :ugh2:

i could really care less about fixing the computer, i don't use it. its not worth my $12 an hour to attempt to fix it and i shouldn't have to anyways because its not in my job description. i fucking hate that job too. i just want to prove the it guy wrong

cliffs: computer lags very badly. hard drive light stays on for long periods of time. grocery store's IT guy is a fucking retard

2. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Deoesn't XP require 512mb ram to run? My sisters computer, which is running xp and is even slower than that computer, is also running 256 megs. It's just slow as liquid honey on a cold night ya get me?

3. dorkultra

"128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)"

i've run winxp on a 233mhz machine with 256mb ram, it ran way faster than the one at work

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Really! Didn't know that. :bigthumb: Sorry I can't help. :sadwavey:

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Lol @wrong printer installed.

Like that wouldn't have been clear when the printer was installed.

Probably needs defragged or just a re-image like you said.

6. dorkultra

makes me mad that a company has an IT team with people that stupid, but i'm stuck working in a kitchen

7. Doc Brown

I work at a pretty large company (over 1k workers) and it seems that a lot of them just aren't hardware guys.
    They probably know networking inside and out, but don't have any idea what the latest mobo chipsets are.
    In my case, the network does stay up nearly perfectly. But let a terminal have problems.
    They're like, see ya in a month or two when it dies.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, I have a spare Dell 1.5 Gig Celeron w/ 256 megs of RAM and it runs surprisingly well.

9. tayz

tayz New Member

XP only requires 64MB ram but 1GB is pretty standard now.

10. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

I'm running a tax clinic and one of the computers is like that. It's running xp pro and it literally takes like 5-10 minutes just for the computer to boot up, and the HD light stays solid the whole time the comp is running. The program takes forever to work. It works good occasionally though so I have no idea whats going on. Luckily there are still 4 other computers to spread the load when it's busy and the said computer is acting up.

11. Doc Brown

What's a tax clinic? You mean like H&R Block?

Sounds like the kind of place that would want everything as fast as possible.

12. Doc Brown

Even so, an XP machine setup properly will do just fine for basic data processing with 256mb.

:dunno:

13. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Yeah its something like that... http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=107626,00.html

When the IT is in the building the next time, I'll have him take a look at it. But yeah, its annoying when you tab over from one box of info to the next and have it freeze for 5 seconds.

btw: although its free, I get paid haha. I love how that works :bigthumb::bigthumb:

14. Doc Brown

Most charity, if not all, has a percentage set aside for staff.

That's a pretty cool service though.

15. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

well, XP itself can run with very little memory, but if you have even a couple of things loading in the background you can run out of memory fast. if it has a real corporate image with stuff like virus scan and that, i could see it paging quite seriously.

16. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

XP has a lot of bells and whistles that can be turned off through the control panel.
    You need to find those things and turn them all off. If you get all of them by the time you are done it should look a bit like W98.

A good defrag would go a long ways towards fixing this.
    Have your boss call up the help desk and specificaly request this.
    If this doesn't help then re-image the drive.

The image is the ultimate solution.

Oh....
    I just realized, he probably doesn't have the proper writes to turn off the bells and whistles in the control panel.

In that case I would go straight for the defrag.