Cravings when trying to diet?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by bmwe30, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmwe30

bmwe30 New Member

Hey All,

Working hard on sticking to a decent diet these days 5-6 days a week (have to have a cheat day or i'd go nuts)...

I eat a lot of lean protein, fruit and veggies, and have no problem avoiding fast food and candy etc... BUT i'm having a very hard time cutting down on carbs. it seems like the healthier I eat and the more I work out the harder it is to not chow down on carbs, (mainly breads, not white but whole wheat, sourdough, whole wheat bagels etc)...

anyone have any good alternatives?

2. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

why are you not eating carbs?

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, keeping carbs low during a cut is hard. Much like you, I have little trouble dropping the sugar and fast foods, but carbs is hard to get off of. I am Italian and was brought up on pasta and breads. My best advice is to just keep eating carbs, but eat good carbs and eat them in MUCH smaller portions.

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Eat something sugar free shit that taste sweet to get you over a craving, or take some EC and not even think about food for the next 6hrs

5. bmwe30

bmwe30 New Member

yeah, i'm not trying not to eat them altogether... but i've heard its good to limit intake when trying to lose weight...
    I'm at the point now where I'm working out 4-6 times a week, a good combination of cardio and weights... Lost all the weight i gained after highschool (went from 220 @ 18 to 265 at 21 now i'm down to 210 at 23) but i'm not seeing any more gains or losses so I figure that I need to focus more and more on my diet because the exercise isn't cutting it anymore.

It's mainly just trying to avoid things like bread and bagels... As i'm a full time student and work 40-50 hours a week I get stuck eating out sometime and to avoid it I stock up on foods that transport easily (sandwiches, bagels etc etc) which leaves me eating better than I would going to a fast food joint but not as well as I'd like to sometimes. When I do just bring veggies, proteins and limited high carb foods, I end up feeling really hungry and getting bad cravings...

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You don't seem to be eating a lot of fat. Fat is high on the satiety scale usually so you can try to eat some nuts when you feel hungry.

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

You don't *have* to go low-carb to lose weight. But like Andrew said, a little fat will go a long way. And- if you're dieting- there's pretty much no way around being hungry/having cravings at some point. You just have to work through it.

I drink a lot of diet soda/flavored no-calorie water.

8. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

hog wash! satisfy ur cravings!

9. TheSpec

TheSpec New Member

See i dont crave candy. I want Wendy's. Its soo good. Its really the only thing i crave. So in order to satify cravings i eat off the super value menu and get Chili and a frosty so its pretty healthy. I just sometimes have to have my Wendy's fix.

10. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

:ugh:

11. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Another thing is to incorporate free meals and refeeds into your dieting process. Mental breaks are good for you, and refeeds serve a variety of purposes.

12. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

i had 5 slices of pizza and a plate of ziti last night... mmm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.