Crashed my R6 Yesterday

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dry3210, Jun 5, 2004.

1. dry3210

dry3210 New Member

I was driving along a road and traffic was backed up going the opposite way and a guy in a parking lot on the other side of the street pulled out in between traffic and must not have seen me and pulled right into the lane. I hit the brakes and locked the tire up and knew I couldn't stop in time so I manage to steer...err slide off road but once I hit the gravel the bike threw me off and flipped itself. I ended up landing on my knee and then smacking down on my head and side some. I went to the hospital and they said I wasn't dead.

Anyway the real CRAP part is this. The cop said that most likely his insurance is gonna laugh at me and I'm going to have to pay for everything, bike and medical. Basically...I avoided the accident the guy caused and caused my own by myself by avoiding him. So even though it was all caused by him because I value my life and opted for grass over his car and didn't run into him he'd probably not have any involvement insurance wise.

Just got off the phone with my insurance today and they said its his fault and they are gonna go after his insurance to get my bike and me back together.

Here are the pics....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just waxed her too. Anyway I'm hoping a lot of it is just dirt but obviously almost if not all of the fairings are screwed, the case on the side, the rear seat, the tank, the wind,screen, poor bike, still rides though.

2. The Acclude

The Acclude Makin' love is cool, but sometimes she needs her h

:mad: what a stupid fucker. I had a moron do that to me, I saw a car coming on its way out of a parking lot so I started slowing down, and flashing my high beam, and he still pulled out about 50 ft in front of me, then tried to speed up in this old POS cavalier, and waves etc. I wanted to punch another dent in his car :mad:

At least youre alright, what gear were you wearing?

3. dry3210

dry3210 New Member

Helmet, jacket, jeans, boots, gloves

4. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Which brakes locked, front or back?

5. dry3210

dry3210 New Member

Back brakes locked

6. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

That sucks man....

7. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

:sad2: I love that color scheme too.

8. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Doesn't look too bad really...

9. RBBB

RBBB New Member

hmm, don't see that very often.

10. AMan

AMan ???????????

Damn, that sucks. At least you made it out ok. I hope the assholes insurance pays for everything. GL

11. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

hey... i saw this post on the R6message board.

12. DJMunich

DJMunich American Eurotrash

Back brake :nono:

I use the front brake almost exclusively... although I have locked the back up once or twice - when I felt it get squirly, I let it up right away...

Those damn oil slicks in the center of the lane at lights... :rant2:

13. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

Who give a fuck what the cop said they don't know JACK, I fucking hate those fuckers..... when they talk crap. they don't work for the insurance company, therefore their opinion doesn't count.

good thing you are ok. everything is going to workout for you.

by the way how fast were you going..

14. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

I think frame sliders would've worked out great for you if you had them.

sorry man.

15. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Fity bux and they bolt on, good to know that you are ok dood

16. DOHCme

DOHCme Guest

rear brake is great, when you know when and how to apply it.

17. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Myth #1:
    Use Only the Front Brake
    This train of thought goes something like: "Since the majority of a motorcycle's braking power comes from the front brake, don't use the rear brake at all. In fact, as the weight shifts forward during heavy braking, the rear brake becomes more likely to lock up and cause you to crash."

Always question advice that suggests you do something because the other way is difficult to master. Unless you are braking so hard that the rear wheel of your motorcycle is in the air, you can shorten your stopping distance with proper application of the rear brake. It is true that as the weight of the motorcycle shifts forward, less traction is available to the rear tire for braking, but in order to master the use of your brakes, you need to use both of them for every stop. While there are instances, such as when a tire blows out, when you would only want to use one brake, the best way to master the control of either brake is to use them on a regular basis.

So, how do you stop in the shortest distance possible? The textbook response states you should achieve full application of both brakes without skidding. As you apply more and more pressure on the front brake (up to the point of lockup), you will have more traction available to the front tire (for more braking) resulting in progressively less traction available to the rear. To keep from skidding the rear wheel, you will need to modulate the rear brake. For every Racer X those pundits cite for not using his rear brake when stopping, there is a Racer Y who uses just a little rear brake to settle the rear suspension and a Racer Z who uses a lot. Also, these examples don't readily apply to street riders since skilled racers know exactly where the point of brake lockup is, while most of us are far from that point with the front brake—even in panic-stop situations.

From : http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/survbraking0104/

18. joshr1

joshr1 Guest

that'll buff right out.

on the serious side, that sucks hardcore. at least youre ok though. frame doesnt look bent, or maybe i missed it? new fairing set and other misc. pieces should fix it up no?

19. dry3210

dry3210 New Member

Won't buff out, most of it is in the plastics and since the flames are stickers they are screwed. The frame doesn't seem bent so new fairings and this and that and I'll be back to new (although I plan on have some aftermarket parts this time around).

I do plan on getting frame sliders (the no cut kind) after she gets fixed

I do use both brakes as if properly used they stop you quickest. However obviously I'm a little heavy on the back one which is something I need to work on. All and all the entire thing happened in a second and whether I locked up or not I do believe I would have crashed one way or the other. There just wasn't the distance or time to avoid some sort of accident.

I was doing about 35 before I hit the brakes

I just heard from his insurance today (it happened last Friday over a week ago). They said he didn't report it and also he wouldn't talk to my insurance and told them to go read the police report. He is making this take longer then need be and it is pissing me off. Tomorrow his insurance is calling him (as they were just informed today about the accident) and hopefully he will talk to them otherwise it will take even longer. I want my bike.