Crashed Comp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coaxsist, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Coaxsist

Coaxsist Re-create... Innovate

Feb 11, 2008
    Think this is the right place to put this, if not my b.

My shitty eMachine finally died. But I wasn't prepared.

Is there some DIY method of getting all the shit I need off of the hard drive? Or do I need to take it into somewhere?

Any cheap places/methods anyone has used?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It's a hard drive... take it out and put it in another computer if you want to access the data on it.
  3. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Apr 6, 2004
    I think he wants an actual step by step guide :o

How knowledgeable are you with computers?
  4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Custom built computer:
    -Unscrew the thumb screws holding on the side of the case, slide panel back then pull off
    -Hard drives are mounted toward the front panel of the computer, disconnect the power and data cables, unscrew the drive from its mount, slide back to remove.
    -Open host computer, make sure jumper on back of drive is set to to cable select, insert drive under the one already in the host computer
    -Find free power and data cable, plug in to drive, start host computer, copy shit from your drive to the host computers drive.

OEM computer:
    - Open computer, fumble around with retarded plastic clip mechanisms that mount hardrives in ways only satan could have imagined.
    - Try to slide drive out of mount only to find there is not enough clearance between the mount bracket and add-in cards
    - Try to remove add in cards only to find out there is a stupid bracket that holds ALL of them in at the same time, figure out to remove that
    - Remove add in cards, try to slide hard drive out of mount bracket until it gets to within an 8th of an inch of freedom only to become latched on something...
    - Remove the entire goddamn hard drive mounting bracket because there is some clip on the other side you need to push in as you pull the drive out.
    - Replace with good drive, try to boot only to find out that while struggling with the clutches of the evil drive mount mechanisms you bumped into a capacitor and knocked it loose
    - Throw piece of shit OEM out and build your own.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009