Crash course on Woodward please?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dr.zed, Aug 3, 2006.

1. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Uncle and I are getting into Detroit for the Woodward Cruise on Friday AM.

It has been suggested we take Friday and see the Chrysler Museum, Henry Ford museum and pickup truck line for a tour.

Saturday, just make our way down Woodward (walk and bus), and then take the bus back when we get to the end in the evening.

I have never been, and would appreciate thoughts and insights into the cool museum, and tours we could do on the Friday, or any other thoughts?

We are staying at the Ritz BTW. :)

2. 97venge

97venge New Member

bring a gun if you're walking around downtown detroit

3. dr.zed

C'mon seriously.

This is important shit yo. ;)

4. August Burns

August Burns New Member

The truck tour is pretty sweet, i went this past december, you will enjoy it.

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

**Disclaimer**
    I don't know where you're from and I don't know if you've ever been here for this and I don't know where you're staying...so I'll just tell you everything I can. I live about 5 minutes from Woodward Ave. on 18 mile (Long Lake), so I'm out there pretty much all the time. From April through October there are people who line the parking lots every Friday and Saturday that is nice out with every car you could imagine. Classic cars, hot rods, custom stuff, modern muscle cars, imports, etc. etc. EVERYTHING can be see on Woodward. Even the people who work for the big companies come out to Woodward in their M plate cars so you can see them before they're even out! We've been watching a red/white striped Ford GT500 for about 3 months now racing around on Woodward. In general, people sit from 13 mile up to 15 mile right now. As more and more people come out, that will grown until it stretches the whole (safe) length of Woodward. Woodward is perfectly safe to drive on from Pontiac all the way to downtown Detroit during the day. At night I wouldn't go south of 8 Mile but during the day if you felt like making that drive you're fine.

Downtown Detroit is perfectly safe. If you venture out of that specific downtown area though, I do suggest bringing a gun.. just kidding. But seriously don't go outside of downtown. Detroit has some very beautiful sights I HIGHLY suggest you see. The GM tech. center and world headquarters is down there right on the water. That area is the one that you're fine int. A little north of that is Comerica Park (which is where the Tigers play) and theres a few nice bars and hangouts down there. Theres a place called Hockeytown Cafe, theres a Hard Rock Cafe and theres a couple others in that area. I do highly suggest you at least drive down there to see it.

The Chrysler HQ (DCX HQ) is about 45 minutes north of that in Auburn Hills. If you take I75 north get off at University (I think exit 79..I can check though). Go a mile east on University and turn right onto Squirrel Rd. Go south on Squirrel Rd. for about a mile and you'll see the entrance to the DCX HQ. The DCX Museum is right there inside that entrance. All of the buildings there (which you can see from I75) are quite a sight to see themselves, and the museum can be very interesting.

The Ford stuff is about half way in between GM and DCX but a little more west in the Dearborn area. I'm not positive on directions, but I'm sure you can find it fairly easily online. Henry Ford musem I'v heard is entertaining like the rest...I've never been there though.

Walking around on Woodward would be alirhgt on Saturday. I'd definitly walk over taking the bus. Theres too much to see and too many cars to pass up by taking the bus. However, it is quite a long walk so I really wouldn't do it myself without renting a car or something. The main cruise goes from Ferndale (9 Mile ish) up around The Loop in downtown Ponatic (which would be like 23 Mile or something technically...but they aren't mile roads up there anymore) Depending on yours and your uncles car tastes, all of the local and not so local clubs generally go to the same places. The Mustang guys are usually in Ferndale for instance. I know GM, DCX, Ford and a handful of others actually bring in show cars and rent out HUGE spaces of land/parking to show off their stuff. The event is insanely large for what it is. Biggest car show in the world!

If you plan on hitting up all the museums and HQ's on Friday you're best bet is to completely stay off Woodward if you're trying to travel. From about Wednesday through Sunday Woodward will be a parking lot. Wednesday and Thursday it won't get bad until about 5pm, but Friday/Saturday/Sunday will be bad from about 5am to 11pm when the police close it down.

Theres more "racing" that goes on up towards Pontiac, and burnouts are a little easier to do without getting caught up there so thats where most people tend to do them. Pontiac police just don't care for some reason...or haven't in the past anyhow. Plus up in Pontiac it's one of the only places where you get enough room for cars to run a bit.

If you have other questionts, general ones or specific, ask away and I'll answer. I'm sure I missed something but I'll go over it again if you want.

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Stay on the northern end of Woodward, it gets progressively less impressive the further toward downtown you go. I wouldn't go past the Michigan State Fairgrounds.

Dress comfortably and WALK everywhere. If you bus you'll miss out on all the cars in places like downtown Birmingham, which is where you should get off and start your walking.

Walk from Birmingham south however far you can make it and walk back, that's the ideal Cruise experience next to being in a classic car.

7. dr.zed

Tri and Rye, thanks for the amazing information. Just a few questions.

TRI> You said to Birmingham south for walking. That skips the top portion near Pontiac?

So far, I've mapped out the three main museums. Do you think it is reasonable to do the three in one day? If I had to choose two, which would it be?

Here is my basic map.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  8. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Pontiac hasn't been anything great the past few years, same for the Michigan State Fairgrounds (which is the southernmost part of the Cruise really).

The best part of the around Birmingham and a few miles north and south.

I always park in downtown Birmingham and walk along Woodward a few miles south. If you walk it you will see the Big Three's displays as well as all the hottest spots during the Cruise like Dugan's Irish Pub.

9. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Personally I like parking up in Pontiac. I do agree with Trishield that the best cars are usually around the downtown Birmingham area. I used to work in an office building on Woodward just south of 15 mile (which is the downtown Birmingham area) It was actually quite nice working there... Anyhow, there isn't much but residential housing (very nice I might add) and a few places of business from about 16 Mile up to Pontaic. That means it's actually a fairly nice place to cruise in between. It doesn't sound like you're going to have a car, so I suggest you do what Trishield said and hit the Birmingham area. Go as far north as the north end of downtown Birmingham (where old and new Woodward split heading south) and from there you can go as far south as you want.

The unfortunate part about all of this is there is just too much to even see given the whole weekend. There are too many cars and too many people there to even have a chance at seeing everything, so your best bet is to just hit one area. The Birmingham area is a very rich area with a lot of nice cars and plenty to do. The downtown area (right on Old Woodward) will have a bunch of places to eat and drink and theres more places to get ice cream than you can count (litterally in a one mile stretch there are I think eight or nine different places devoted just to ice cream)

TriShield, I'm not sure if you'll have a car for the weekend...but if you're around feel free to come up to the party I'll be at in Pontiac. It's put on by the company I used to work for in Birmingham. All of the guys who put it on have more money than they know what to do with. The past two years the one guy brought out his Enzo and his 1000hp purple Charger for his wife. The cars go on and on and theres more free food than anyone could ever eat. Shoot me a PM if you're intersted. I took Saturday off work so I'll be out there all day probably. Friday I work until 6 though.

Oh, and for anyone in the area who is intersted in seeing a Bugatti Veyron there is one at a dealership about 5 - 10 minutes from Woodward. I took pictures of it last night but my girlfriend took my camera with her when she left today. It's in a Bentley dealership next to the Lambo/Rolls Royce/Hummer/Masarati dealerships.

10. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Oh Dr. Zed...if you're coming in on Friday I'd actually suggest not trying to hit all 3 museums in one day. They're too far apart (each about an hour from the other...and with WDC traffic who knows) for you to make it to all three for sure. If you have interest in one over the other I'd definitly try that.

Heres what I'd do if I was devoting a whole day to it. I'd start at the Henry Ford musem because you're right there. I'd take 94 East into Detroit. I get off at one of the downtown exits (so pretty much mapquest yourself to the GM Tech Center). You can stop there and take a few pictures of the building or whatever. The inside isn't overly impressive. There are some shops on the lower levels and they have a few cars scattered around...but nothing worth stopping for more than that. From there I'd get on I75 and head north to the DCX HQ with the directions I gave you before. From there you can go to the DCX museum or whatever you want to do. Once you're there you're only about 15 minutes from Woodward. And actually you'll be able to start at the northern end and cruise south to the Birmingham area. I have no idea how long all this will take you with traffic and shit, but it's worth a shot. FYI police usually shut things down around 11pm. They won't let you turn onto Woodward anymore, so you'll eitehr have to try and plead your case with a cop if you have to get across or you'll have to bypass it entirely somehow (or cut through side streets).

11. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Actually I just looked at your numbers on that map and they're wrong. #4 should be in downtown Detroit. And #2 is a bit further east and north by where it says Rochester Hills. I'm not sure which GM facility would be where your #4 is. They're may be a factory there...but that's it..?

12. dr.zed

Rye and Tri, this is great info. Yes I will have a car. (my new diesel Jetta), but I'm not sure about parking it, etc... on Sat.

Sounds like we will do the HFM by the hotel, then head to DCX, then maybe park up in Pontiac and check it out up there. Maybe hit the bus from the hotel on Sat, up to Birmingham and then walk North. Great info guys, keep it coming if you have more!

13. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Most places right on Woodward will charge you for parking or they're reserved for specific car clubs..assuming you can even find a spot. Most people who park in the area end up on a side street or something and have to walk to Woodward from there. In Pontiac it's a little different because they actually shut the whole central downtown area down to traffic for all the events and stuff they have going on for people. I'd try looking for somewhere to park right around where Woodward comes back together after the loop when heading south. Thats actually right where I'll be.

14. dr.zed

You will be at your corporate event Fri and Sat? PM me details, so we can drop by and thank you personally for your help. You as well Tri.

:)

15. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I don't think I'll be there Friday. It's the company that I used to work for so I wear my welcome out pretty quick, haha. I think I'll end up saving that for Saturday.