Crappy sound coming from my speaker.. what needs to be upgraded?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RLiu818, Oct 5, 2005.

1. RLiu818

RLiu818 Active Member

I have two huge 125W floor speakers, which are about 15 years old, connected to my old SONY personal audio system as a receiver.

I use the speakers for house parties. When I turn it up, the bass gets muffled and the clarity is horrible. I cant afford to upgrade both right now, so will upgrading either the speakers only, or getting a new receiver make a significant difference?

FYI:

The speakers are:
    Sherwood S-2125
    125W 8 ohms
    it has dual 10" speakers on each one.
    I cant find any link to it since its so old.

The receiver is from my old personal audio system:
    Sony
    HCD-C55
    Here is a link to a manual on it.. its all i could find since its so old.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Sony-H...ryZ50594QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

What would be your budget for an upgrade?

3. RLiu818

RLiu818 Active Member

no budget.. i wanna go for best bang for the buck.. and im not an audiohile so nothing over 500 bucks please.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

no budget, so 500 :hsugh:

uhh ud probably be better off upgrading ur receiver for that price imo

im not really familiar with ur speakers but if it was me id go for a receiver

use pricegrabber.com and find a good yamaha.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

500 bucks? you could probably upgrade the whole setup for that. eBay some big towers. or pricegrabber for the whole shebang. some low end Vegas might just be what you're looking for. and if it's just to be loud, check out some local pawn shops. sometimes you can find killer deals on some decent stuff. don't go to just one shop, and listen/beat the hell out of the speakers while you are there. hell you might even find the reciever you like while you're there. Normally i wouldn't recommend pawn shops, but i think in your case, that could be the perfect thing for you!

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

heh, and i used to have some Sherwoods similar to what you have. 2 10s , 2 4s and like a 2.5 tweeter? Sound about right? One 10 is a speaker and the bottom "speaker" was a passive radiator! heheh