Crappy sleep patterns

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DTR rex, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Last summer I went out a lot and got into the habit of not going to bed until 4-5am on a regular basis. This habit of going to bed late carried over into the school year, but luckily I had no early morning classes. I have tried extensively to start going to bed at a normal time like 12-1am but I just cannot seem to do it.

It seems that when I go to bed late like that, I am more prone to get excessive sleep.... Like 10-12 hours of sleep. Is it possible that going to bed later is the cause of me sleeping so long....
    Secondly, I am tired a lot more often now, even if I do get the standard 7-9 hours of sleep. And being more tired throughout the day is starting to hurt my workouts.

The only conclusion I can draw is that going to bed so late (regardless of the amount of hours I sleep) is fucking everything up.

Sometimes I will have to get up early for school or work and only get like 3-4 hours of sleep and then that night I go to bed earlier... but then the next day it starts all over again :rolleyes:

Does anyone else experience this, and does anyone have any input into how to fix this. Just "going to bed earlier" is not really an option. My body is so used to this now that I do not even begin to get tired until 3am or later; and the late nights are causing me to sleep more hours than I should.

Should I just force myself to only sleep like 6 hours a night for a couple weeks so that every night I will tired and want to go to bed earlier?

BTW, its 3:30am right now and I have class tomorrow :squint:

2. Biskit

Biskit Active Member

Man right now, I have my days backwards.

I work out at like between 11pm-6AM.

Sleep at 10AM and wake up at 6 PM.

Talk about fucked up.

Trying to fix it idk what I should do, thinking of pulling an all nighter.

3. gstrdr1

gstrdr1 Active Member

This sounds like the best way to solve the problem. Just force yourself to get up earlier regardless of what time you fell asleep. I'm no expert but I would think after a week or two you body will adjust and start to tire at an earlier time. Those two weeks will probably suck though

4. party time

party time New Member

i have the same problem i go to bed anytime from 3-6 am and then wake up i try going to be ealiy like im in bed at 1 but i just lay there and cant fall asleep

5. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

just force yourself to wake up at a decent hour somehow....

I have to put my alarm clock on the other side of the room and I immediately jump in the shower to wake myself up....

6. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

i have to set about 3 or 4 alarms

7. party time

party time New Member

another night without sleep about to go work out and im not in the mood to touch a weight

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

These are sleeping habits and you should try to get to bed at the same time (more or less) everynight and wake up around the same time too. Having a "going to sleep" routine can also help. Try also to avoid doing things that will cause your body's heat to go up (exercise, hot bath/shower, etc) about 2h before going to sleep because your body's heat is related to sleep/wake cycles.

9. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Thanks for the input guys!

Good to know that other people are going through similar problems as well.

Last night I went to bed late, but forced myself to get up for class after about 5.5 hours of sleep. Currently it is 1:30am and I am hoping to be in bed by 2:30 and will try will everything I have to get up after ~ 6 hours of sleep and not sleep in for 12 hours (since tomorrow is a day off).

I am really hoping this sleeping for 6 hours for a couple weeks thing will get me back on track. This whole sleeping 5 hours one day and then 12 hours the next day and switching back and forth like that is killing me.... I am always tired, regardless of the sleep I get, lol.

I will update this in a week or two to see if it worked or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.