Crappy mileage in an 01 Accord

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ww_Crimson, Dec 3, 2007.

1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I've got a 4 cylinder 2001 Honda Accord.. I do almost all city driving, fairly short drives.

I bought the car with 23,000 miles and it's got 48,000 now. I have gotten extremely consistent mileage ever since I bought it.

In the city I get about 17 MPG (240 miles / tank, almost exactly every single time).

On the freeway I get about 20 MPG.

I originally didn't pay much attention to this because I was kind of a gas-pedal-happy driver, but the mileage hasn't changed much at all over the 2 years I've had the car. I check my tire pressure pretty regularly (17" wheels, usually around 37.5 psi), I've changed my air filter twice since I got the car, and I've changed the spark plugs once.

I've looked around online and it seems like my mileage isn't HORRENDOUS but I'm just tired of people saying "You have a honda, you get great mileage" when I really don't. The final straw for me posting this thread was seeing someone in the main forum bitching about 22mpg in their STi.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Damn that sucks. I have a Acura CL-S 6-speed and I get around 28mpg mixed driving and I've gotten up to 37mpg highway on a road trip with an average speed of 75mph. Only 20mpg on your 4-banger seems super low. I even got that with a +400hp supercharged 3.2L. Check some simple stuff like the PVC valve, clean the intake manifold, change the fuel filter, run some fuel injector cleaner through it (Seafoam in the gas), and other basic stuff to see if that changes anything.

3. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Ok.. so I'll admit I'm quite a 'noob' with cars. I've got a strong interest in them but when it comes to working on them under the hood I don't really know much at all. I ordered a CAI a few days ago and it should be here soon so I'm gonna have my dad help me put that in and see if he can help me diagnose the problem. He's pretty knowledgeable with cars so I'll suggest the things you listed and see where that goes.

I've ran some fuel injector cleaner once before and on that particular tank of gas I noticed a very mild increase in mileage but nothing outstanding, and the effects didn't last. I'll post an update in a week or so and let you know guys know if anything gets figured out.

4. have you changed the oil regularly

5. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Yes, I am pretty particular about my car. Oil change every 3k miles, I haven't overshot it by more than 100 miles. Transmission Fluid has been changed, and I keep up on the tire rotation / alignment / pressure.

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

damn, I'm serious about keeping my car running, but I haven't done any of that shit in ages :rofl:

helps that my shop checks my tires when I have to bring it in for anything (including smog) :o

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Haha. You states with your emissions testing. Minnesota did away with it some years ago as they found we weren't polluting enough to need it and most cars passed.

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

small price to pay for being able to wear t-shirts and shorts during the winter :mamoru:

9. JDM5LugHatch

JDM5LugHatch New Member

can't remember if those use plug wires or not. think they do. start with a basic tune up. plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button. Honda's have lifetime fuel filters. I still change them but only if the car is at 100k+ miles. Like TheWeasel said though run some fuel treatment through it and change your PCV valve more than likely it needs to be replaced anyways. I would recommend the BG 44k fuel cleaner though. Run it through the next couple fill ups to make sure everything gets nice and clean. After everything is said and done you should be getting better mileage. However, if you are heavy on the pedal like I am you will stay around the same.

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

lol, caps and rotors in an 01 accord

11. JDM5LugHatch

JDM5LugHatch New Member

that's why I said I can't remember if they use plug wires or not. If they don't then they are coil packs like on my K20z. I haven't worked on any accords other than 90-97's.

12. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

update?

13. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

If you're going to run Seafoam, run it through the engine [intake] too.
    It does a lot more to clean it out than running it in the gas....

That goes for any cleaner.
    And those bottles at Walmart and Autocrap are pretty much useless...
    Use a good one, like Seafoam or BG.

14. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Was out of town for a few days, CAI should arrive in a day or two and by that time I'll need to fill up on gas so maybe I'll have an update within a week or so.

15. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I regularly got 21-22 in town and 30-31 on the freeway with my '90 Accord. Had a header, AEM CAI, exhaust, pulleys and bumped the timing about 4 degrees.

How is the power? If low speed acceleration is sluggish, have the timing checked...although all that might be controlled by the ECU so you may not be able to do much.