Crank/Main Bearings

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by KDXman, May 27, 2006.

1. KDXman

KDXman New Member

Does anybody know how hard it would be to replace the main bearings on a YZ250, my bike has started vibrating really badly lately and i believe this to be the source of my problem, im not a hundred percent sure but i have my suspicions. If it is hard then how much am i looking at for a shop to do it? If it is over 900 or 1000 there is a new 06 YZ there that i might just get. but if anybody has any ideas on this that would be appreciated

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Have you checked your motor mounts? I had a broken mount that caused the same symptoms on my CR.

Its a time consuming job, but all in all not nearly as hard as I expected. The crank is pressed onto the left bearing, so you need a press to get the crank out of the case. To get the bearing off the crank any bearing puller will do. Having access to a press makes it a snap. Getting the right bearing out may require heating the case with a propane torch, but after heating it should tap right out with a hammer and punch.

As for the tranny if you pull it out as a unit and replace it as such its not a big deal at all.

While you're in there its a good time to check all the other bearings, con rod, etc

3. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

i got a shop to do my bottom end for 300 (new bearings, trued welded crank etc)