GUN CR123 Rechargeable batteries...............

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by luvitlo94, Dec 6, 2006.

1. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

I'm looking for a set of CR123 rechargeable batteries with a charger. I have seen some on Ebay for about $30, anybody know if these "off brands" are any good? Any recomendations on what to get? :x:

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

batterystation.com has a set like that, I think. It doesn't seem worth it yet, as I have 30something 123s laying around.

3. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

To be safe I'd buy from these guys. They've been around CPF for a long time and are a good dealer. www.lighthound.com

As to your use for them, you do know that RCR123's are not a direct swap for most 123's? They can damage lights due to overvoltage.

4. luvitlo94

Yeah, thats what I have been seeing.

Maybe I will just get him a bulk pack. Are the "no name" batteries you can find on Ebay any good?

5. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

What are you powering? There are so-called R123As or RCR123As out there, but those are typically recommended for single-cell applications or situations where you absolutely must use 2 cells in a non-linear arrangement. If you're powering a conventional tubular flashlight, you might want to check out Pila cells - they're essentially the same length as 1.5 123A cells (stack a pair for a 3x123A replacement) or 2 123A cells. Pila sells some lamp modules that are drop-in replacements for the Surefire P-series lamps.

Bear in mind that "R" CR123A's are lithium-ion cells, which are 4.2V hot off the charger and roughly 3.6V nominal during use. There were some attempts at 3V "R" 123As, but those didn't work so well since they used a linear voltage regulator to burn up the extra voltage to drop the output to 3V. Digital cameras and most LED flashlights have power regulation circuits built-in; incandescent lamps rated for 6V are going to want to see <6V from their cells; 8,4V at startup hot off the charger might flash them.

Also keep in mind that most of the cheap "R" 123As being sold are bare lithium-ion cells without the protection circuits found in almost every other li-ion battery. Why do you need a protection circuit, you ask? To keep the cells from killing themselves, your device, and possibly you. Li-ion is a potentially reactive chemistry (witness the "exploding laptops" news sensation of a few months back and the "exploding cellphones" hubub a few years ago). It needs to be protected from overvoltage, undervoltage, and overdischarge. Overvoltage and overdischarge can lead to the "exothermic self-disassembly" failure mode, otherwise known as "exploding with flame" which can release, amongst other toxins, flouric acid ... a very Bad ThingTM that you don't want to come into contact with at all. Undervoltage (discharging below 2.5V, I believe) just kills the cell. The good news is that bare cells have a safety device that protects against overdischarge called a PTC, but that just helps prevent explosions - it does nothing to prevent the inevitable death by undervoltage.

As for brands to look for ... just look for protected cells, OK? Battery Station is a reputable seller and longtime CPF supplier (scroll down the page for the rechargeables). They'll cost a bit more than $30 for a pair of cells and charger, but at least they're protected and some domestic company puts their name on these unlike most ebay specials.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  6. luvitlo94

These will just be used for flashlights

7. NGA WHAT?

NGA WHAT? New Member

:werd: I bougt a pack from these guys. I think i got 15 batteries and a waterproof hard case that they all go inside for like 30 shipped. I seen a review done on these and the output and lifespan are on par with the Surefire batteries! Just my .02 cents.

8. NGA WHAT?

NGA WHAT? New Member

Just saw that you meant Rechargeables.....my bad! Good product anyway though!

9. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

i have rechargables.. I havent charged them more than once but basically I got 4 cells and have used 2.

Works the same as before. I havent recharged them in 4 mnths.

10. luvitlo94

Are there any rechargables that are not 4V and will not ruin my light?

11. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

yup.. mine are 3.125volts which works fone for me

12. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

As stated above there are "3V" rechargables, but they use a regulator circuit to drop the voltage down from 3.7-4.2V. This works ok for applicatons, but most of them allow the voltage/current to initially spike which can instaflash bulbs in incan lights. Depending on your light, most of the major brand 2x123 lights can be modified with a 3.7V lamp assy and then ran on one 17670 cell which is the length of 2 123's.