CPU with higher FSB okay?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Feb 14, 2007.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I have a Sony VAIO PCV-RX670 that currently has the stock motherboard and processor in it. The motherboard is an Asus P4B266LM, which is a Sony exclusive version. My processor right now is a P4 1.8ghz. I was wanting to switch it out with a P4-HT 2.6ghz chip. They are the same socket but the P4-HT has an 800mhz FSB while my current one has a 400mhz FSB. Would that be a problem?

My understanding is that the chip would just run at 400mhz and this would not be an issue but I wanted to ask and make sure first.

EDIT: Also, on the Asus forum, someone said that this motherboard is not capable of runnin at over 533mhz (i think that was the number)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

By doing this you would be underclocking the CPU -- I have never seen problems caused by this. All that matters is whether the CPU revision is supported by your motherboard.

From the sound of it, your new CPU is a Prescott core, whereas your old CPU is a Coppermine (?) core. Prescott requires a motherboard that supports Prescott, regardless of speed; I believe it has to do with a difference in core voltage between the two CPU revisions.

That said, the way the math works for what you're trying to do is like so:

2600MHz / 800MHz * 533MHz = 1732MHz.

In other words, the effective speed of the new chip will be the same or slower than your current chip. Considering that the speed will be the same, and that both the Prescott revision AND the Hyperthreading will require a BIOS that supports them (which you probably don't have), there would be nothing to gain from this swap.

3. dissonance

Thanks for the info...

Sony's "live chat" response was just:

4. deusexaethera

Sony doesn't like you to use your computer for things they haven't pre-authorized.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I'd replace the MB, CPU and RAM all in one. It's probably ATX standard and you'd have less headaches, and an all round faster machine.

6. deusexaethera

If he's going to do all that, he might as well just buy a complete new box. The parts you listed are the most expensive parts in a computer anyway.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Yup - they all add up though. I used to buy MBs with the thought of upgrading the CPU but by the time I got around to it, there was always a compelling reason to just go to a different board.

8. deusexaethera

I agree, but remember this guy's using a brand-name box. For the cost of those parts and the time and effort to put it all together, he could probably afford a new box.

9. dissonance

Ya, I thought about upping the motherboard but don't have the money, nor too much of a desire for it now.

The worst thing about brand-name boxes is they themselves are not made for upgrades. I wanted to upgrade my video card (32mb TNT2) and couldn't because of a power issue. So, local store had a good deal on an Antec PSU and GeForce 7600 AGP (all my PCI's are used) a couple weeks ago. I take out the old psu and what do I see, I have to drill out 6 rivets to take apart the 'psu mount/case/crap'. After doing so, I notice that the plug hole is slightly blocked by the back of the psu mount. So I dremel out a slot for it and go to screw it in. Well fuck me running, the screw holes are in a different place...
    Anyway, I eventually got it to work and it doesn't look bad either.

10. deusexaethera

The GeForce 7600 you have -- is it the fanless one made by Gigabyte? I have that one; I had to install a big, quiet fan to blow air on the PCI cards to keep the GPU temperature below boiling (literally), but other than that I love the card.

- - -

Here's a simple checklist to help you decide when to upgrade or replace your computer:

1. Does your computer fail to do what you need on a regular basis?

2. Does your computer run so slowly that it is frustrating to use?

3. Does your computer have trouble running reliably, even after a reformat?

If you answered "Yes" to any of these questions, it's time for an upgrade. Otherwise, you're fine.

11. dissonance

No, the 7600 I have is a cheap PNY one, it has a built in fan. Since it is in the AGP slot, it also has nothing next to it on the fan side, so it gets decent flow. As far as the rest of my computer, it has always run on the hot side. There are no vents in the case but the back and it only has 2 fans (plus for the graphics one now), a CPU fan and a PSU fan. I have had it on now for about 10 minutes and the current temps are:
    Processor: 112.1 F
    Mainboard: 104 F
    PSU: 84.2 F
    Graphics: 111.2 F
    The temps after a couple hours of mid-level intensity will be around 125-130F. At least they were in summer, my room is currently much cooler so it probably wouldn't get that high now. I eventually want to cut out a big hole in the side for a fan and maybe rig one to the back.

When I had it running for almost a week strait converting a folder of videos, I just took off the side panel and set a fan next to it.

As far as deciding when to ditch the case and start anew, my computer runs excellent. I keep it crap free and tweak settings after reformats (used to do once every 8 months or so, but now that I don't live with my ex-girlfriend/share my computer, I haven't done it in about 2 years and it doesn't need it yet. The only reason I've been wanting a new graphics card is, well, it must be obvious since I only had a TNT2 32mb, I couldn't even play WarCraft III smoothly with the settings all the way down. I don't really play games but once a month or so, but it would be nice in general to have a decent video card. The only other gripe I have about my computer is that it only supports 2 IDE hard drives and I have read that it cannot go above 120gig capacity in each without freeze ups. Not sure why but thats what I have read. To solve this I have an external 320gig perpendicular Seagate SATA-II running through a PCI USB 2.0 controller. I want to get rid of one of my current PCI cards and get a SATA controller in there and cut holes on the top of the case and make a box for 2 or 3 SATA-II drives to be run as internals. Reason being... I want to run a RAID 1 or 5 depending on disk quantity.

12. deusexaethera

Wow, your machine sounds a lot like mine about a year ago. Athlon XP 3000, 512MB of RAM, a single 80GB IDE hard drive, and a Radeon 9600.

Now it has a three-disk SATA RAID, 2GB of RAM, a GeForce 7600GS...and the same CPU. It keeps up pretty well, all in all.

13. dissonance

hehe, if I had some cash I'd have a three-disk SATA-II RAID right now. What RAID level are you running?.. you got me beat on the RAM till I do a new build, my motherboard only supports up to 1024mb. It came with 512mb PC2100 DDR but when I did the PSU and video card, I also added another 512mb DDR stick (couldn't find PC2100 so I added a PC2700).

If I had done more research (about upgrading retail boxes) when I bought it 5 years ago, I would have went with my other option... building one. I only went with the Sony because my build price was about the same as what I bought, only difference is what I bought had a DVD burner and my build had a GeForce something. The reason the Sony was about the same price is that it was an open-box return and it was also an old model... double discount. I think I got it for around $800

Who is the chic in ur AV??

14. deusexaethera

I'm running a RAID-3 on a NetCell controller. Theoretically, the write speed is slower than it would be on a RAID-5 because the parity is all on one disk, but that also means that the read speed is as fast as a RAID-0 because the data disks don't have to skip over any sections dedicated to parity. The NetCell controller improves the write speed a bit by pre-reading existing data from all disks before each write operation, so it has the parity calculation ready to go as soon as the new data arrives -- that way it doesn't delay the write for as long.

The chick in my AV is Linda Cardellini. She played a nurse on ER for a while, and before that she dabbled in other stuff -- among which was an episode of Boy Meets World that I happened to watch a couple of weeks ago. I was like "damn, who is she?" and I was very disappointed to find out that she was born in 1975 and the episode I watched was filmed almost exactly 9 years ago. (sigh) The women I'm attracted to are ALWAYS older than I am...it's not fair...

15. 5Gen_Prelude

Lol - I remember that episode when it came out - she was fine back then - still is today. I haven't seen her in anything else other than those two shows you mentioned though.

16. deusexaethera

The ski trip episode, right? I don't really know why, but that show makes me sad when I watch it nowadays.

My life is kinda filled with things that I wish I'd paid more attention to when they were still around -- that show is one of many examples, and most of the music I own is by bands that I never knew about until after they broke up. (shrug) I dunno.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007