CPU use during CD burning

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fauxdiophile, May 3, 2003.

1. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

recently, since i reformatted, nero has been using my CPU up like none other, spiking to 100% for a while, then back down then up to 100% again. any ideas on what could be causing this??? it used to take about 4 min to burn a cd, now its taking close to 7, and it makes the computer unusable.
    specs: Athlon 1800, 512 mb ddr ram, 60gb hdd, tdk 24/10/40 veloCD, using the latest version of nero

please help!

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Did you install the latest motherboard ide drivers?

3. fauxdiophile

i installed the latest drivers from the gigabye website (MB is a GA7DX), and they're VIA drivers, but those don't seem to do much other than cause hardware conflicts, and even when they were installed the burning process was still just as slow

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

there was an update to nero a while back that fixed some problems I was having - did you install that after your format?

5. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

geez that sucks

hmm...i had a problem with extremely long burn times

i had to enable something (i think it was DMA :dunno: ) in the cd drive properties (using Win 98se)

what OS are you using?

6. fauxdiophile

im using winXP home
    i checked the settings on the IDE drivers and for the secondary channel it says i'm using PIO mode, although it's checked to DMA if available. i know that i can use DMA on both, but it seems that it won't 'let me' use DMA. ???? i've no idea how to go about making it use DMA instead of PIO... (btw, i have a dvd-rom on the same channel, and it has DMA enabled :dunno: )

edit: i'm using nero 5.5.10.20

7. eof

eof New Member

DMA = direct memory access (ie. it doesn't use the cpu to transfer between drive / memory)

Check your bios settings too....make sure that the drives are set on DMA there and in windows. The new 4-1's arn't that bad either...I would atleast give them a try...